Notices

foglights prewired???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2015, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
If one wants to use the stock switch and wiring harness CottageLifer described (uploaded) at post #14 the ETACS must also be programmed (either by the dealer via MUT III or someone, who has the Actia or equivalent interface with the programs). No wonder that there was no power (as described above in post #6) because the fog light is most likely coded "absent". It must be changed to something else. Type A is the normal (legal) operational mode, when the fog light can only be turned on with low beam, while type B (I show here) allows the fog light to be operated with any light (parking, low, or even with high beam but one of those). If one wants to use a combination fog light (with two bulbs) as a DRL (same house but separate bulb) as well, one must also change one or two additional settings (depending on the location): DRL must be coded "present" and the type of DRL should be set to "independent". I do not know for sure whether the wiring harness is the same for ordinary and combination fog light. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails foglights prewired???-slide4.jpg   foglights prewired???-slide2.jpg   foglights prewired???-slide3.jpg  
Old Nov 6, 2015, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I wonder if a dealer would/could do that reprogramming? Seems like a shame there are all these cool mods that dealers could sell, but they lack the skill or initiative to do so.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CottageLifer
Looks like you need the sub-harness and the power relay. All the oem fog lamp kits ive seen for sale do not include either.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 01:18 PM

I wonder if it's possible to simply buy the subharness as it seems the large majority of the cost for the OEM kit are the housings.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 09:22 PM

Just installed factory fog lights on my 2015 ES 2.4L

They do come prewired for fog lights with a factory plug for mine found behind the front bumper right near the horn. Double check the part numbers for the factory kits if you order them online. You can actually log into the Mitsubishi Accessories Parts pages and search for your year and it will show you the exact part number you can confirm with for the kit. The 2014 and 2015 models had a different factory plug (4pin vs 6pin if I remember right) and sometimes they advertise the kits will fit both years and they do not. Found out the hard way.

Most Outlander Sports starting from 2013 I believe come with the factory installed fog light switch in the cab on the headlight switch so, as pointed out in a previous comment, it will have to be reprogrammed to enable the functions of them. My kit actually came with separate instructions on how to manually program it so I didn't have to go to the dealer for it. It took a few tries to get it right but eventually got it working. Years that don't have the fog light switch will need it for the kit and that will be a bit different of an install to tear apart the steering column (I am assuming since I have never done it).

The install is actually super easy and only took me 2.5 hours to complete it. You will want to get a bumper retaining clip removal tool as you will have to take a lot of those out and will save you from breaking them. You will remove the top cover around the hood latch with about 6 clips. There are 3 clips on each fender well and 1 bolt to take out on each side. The bottom of the bumper has about 7 clips to be removed. Then there are 3 bolts on the top holding the bumper on and 2 inside the grill in the middle on the outer ends of it. Once those are all removed, the only thing holding the bumper in place is where it snaps on the ends of the bumper to the fenders where they meet. I was a bit timid at first but you have to pop them out of it and it takes a bit of careful pulling.

For the install, you just pull the plastic covers off the fog light areas, remove the inserts, and just bolt the fog lights to the bumper. The wiring kit comes with the clip in zip lock ties to the factory holes and you just connect the wiring kit to the fog lights. You then place the bumper back on the vehicle and plug the wiring kit into the factory plug, put it all back together, add the power relay to the fuse box in the engine compartment, and reprogram it.

I've had to tear the front bumper back off a few times now for various accessory add ons and I've got it down to 15 min removal and installs now. Hope this helps!
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:03 AM

This is a screen grab from the pdf CottageLifer posted. It shows the connector wired along side the horn in the center of the bumper. has someone removed the bumper to get a photo of this?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 3DOS
Just installed factory fog lights on my 2015 ES 2.4L

They do come prewired for fog lights with a factory plug for mine found behind the front bumper right near the horn. Double check the part numbers for the factory kits if you order them online. You can actually log into the Mitsubishi Accessories Parts pages and search for your year and it will show you the exact part number you can confirm with for the kit. The 2014 and 2015 models had a different factory plug (4pin vs 6pin if I remember right) and sometimes they advertise the kits will fit both years and they do not. Found out the hard way.

Most Outlander Sports starting from 2013 I believe come with the factory installed fog light switch in the cab on the headlight switch so, as pointed out in a previous comment, it will have to be reprogrammed to enable the functions of them. My kit actually came with separate instructions on how to manually program it so I didn't have to go to the dealer for it. It took a few tries to get it right but eventually got it working. Years that don't have the fog light switch will need it for the kit and that will be a bit different of an install to tear apart the steering column (I am assuming since I have never done it).

The install is actually super easy and only took me 2.5 hours to complete it. You will want to get a bumper retaining clip removal tool as you will have to take a lot of those out and will save you from breaking them. You will remove the top cover around the hood latch with about 6 clips. There are 3 clips on each fender well and 1 bolt to take out on each side. The bottom of the bumper has about 7 clips to be removed. Then there are 3 bolts on the top holding the bumper on and 2 inside the grill in the middle on the outer ends of it. Once those are all removed, the only thing holding the bumper in place is where it snaps on the ends of the bumper to the fenders where they meet. I was a bit timid at first but you have to pop them out of it and it takes a bit of careful pulling.

For the install, you just pull the plastic covers off the fog light areas, remove the inserts, and just bolt the fog lights to the bumper. The wiring kit comes with the clip in zip lock ties to the factory holes and you just connect the wiring kit to the fog lights. You then place the bumper back on the vehicle and plug the wiring kit into the factory plug, put it all back together, add the power relay to the fuse box in the engine compartment, and reprogram it.

I've had to tear the front bumper back off a few times now for various accessory add ons and I've got it down to 15 min removal and installs now. Hope this helps!

Can you give us a link for where to buy the sub-harness? I've been trying to find it for over a year with no luck. Thanks!
Old Mar 26, 2018, 06:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by myersOS16
Can you give us a link for where to buy the sub-harness? I've been trying to find it for over a year with no luck. Thanks!
Depending on your build date it is either a 8526A113 or a 8526A013