Notices

foglights prewired???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2015, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
foglights prewired???

I got my 2015 OS and was wondering if it is prewired for foglights and if so where are they hiding at? And yes my switch has the foglight option.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:42 PM

If all else fails I will running a new harness,relay, and install a switch to use them. It doesn't matter to me. Even with a factory harness I would have to program the foglights through the computer right?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 05:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I could be wrong but i don't think either way you go there should be no programming to be done. Have you popped the fog covers off and looked inside the bumper yet?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 06:16 PM

Yeah I took them off and didn't feel anything. Looked under the hood to see if I could find a pigtail. But nothing. Now I did see something on another forum that the pigtail might be up by the firewall. I will check that out tomorrow. As for programming I thought I saw something on here that you would have to do that, but not sure since I have the foglight option on my stack.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 07:12 PM

Let us know if you find that pigtail anywhere or how you decide to wire them yourself. I want to install fogs on my '14 ES but just haven't gotten around to doing it. I find it odd that Mitsu would put the switch on the stalk of a car that isn't optioned for them.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 07:27 PM

All I found was a 6 pin harness under the radiator shroud. The middle 2 wires get power with the parking lights turned on. I installed a foglight relay hoping the other wires would show voltage, but they didnt. So I just wired them up using the middle 2 wires and the fogs turn on with the parking lights. No big deal for me, I like it that way.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:45 PM

You need to check and make sure you're not exceeding the current rating of the wires you tapped onto.
Mitsu is good for sizing wire right on the edge of too small. (2000-2005 eclipse headlight harness)
There is a reason there is a relay for the fogs, and that's more than likely because their current draw is more than the standard harness is capable of. Very important check in my opinion.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 05:48 PM

I understand the concern, but I wired my foglights up with a relay harness and the are also LED fogs, so not much draw to be concerned with
Old Feb 24, 2015, 05:07 AM

Glad you were able to get the pieces to utilize the relay harness. That was a very smart move.
Don't let the fact that they're LEDs fool you on current draw. Yes LEDs draw a lot less current but the newer light fixtures are packing more and more LEDs into them. I just put an LED light bar on my brother's eclipse and it pulled 9A total. If I remember right that was just as much or slightly under what the highbeam lights use. If we wouldn't have utilized a relay system the headlight harness would've melted in a second if it didn't blow the fuse first.

Please don't take this as a flame to you. It sounds like you are well versed in this. It's more for future people that want to do the same mod/upgrade and aren't as familiar with electrical systems.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Redstang69
You need to check and make sure you're not exceeding the current rating of the wires you tapped onto.
Mitsu is good for sizing wire right on the edge of too small. (2000-2005 eclipse headlight harness)
There is a reason there is a relay for the fogs, and that's more than likely because their current draw is more than the standard harness is capable of. Very important check in my opinion.
Glad you were able to get the pieces to utilize the relay harness. That was a very smart move.
Don't let the fact that they're LEDs fool you on current draw. Yes LEDs draw a lot less current but the newer light fixtures are packing more and more LEDs into them. I just put an LED light bar on my brother's eclipse and it pulled 9A total. If I remember right that was just as much or slightly under what the highbeam lights use. If we wouldn't have utilized a relay system the headlight harness would've melted in a second if it didn't blow the fuse first.

Please don't take this as a flame to you. It sounds like you are well versed in this. It's more for future people that want to do the same mod/upgrade and aren't as familiar with electrical systems.
Definitely appreciate the insight and heads-up on "unforeseen" issues like these, especially when it's shared from actual experience.
Thank you.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 09:34 AM

Just confirm what I am picking up from this thread ->>> adding on the oem foglamps later is not a straightforward plug and play process ya? (mitsu dealer parts guy said the car is prewired)
Old Feb 24, 2015, 07:29 PM

I was told the same thing. I found something online about how the dealership should install their foglight kits. It stated that the front bumper comes off and the is a harness behind it. I didn't take my bumper off, but I found a 6 pin harness (online stated 4 pin harness). I found that that harness gets power once the parking lights are turned on. So I decided to use those wires. Maybe once it warms up in the spring I will research more into it.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 06:08 PM

Did anyone ever figure this out? whether the fog lights are pre-wired and the 4-pin harness is located behind the bumper?
Old Nov 5, 2015, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
This might help? http://asx-market.ru/upload/userfile...lp_PTF_ASX.pdf
Old Nov 5, 2015, 07:55 PM

If you have fog lights. There is a four pin harness behind bumper. Two pins for the foglights and the other two are for the drls

Quick Reply: foglights prewired???