Notices

One of These Things Is Not Like the Others...

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
One of These Things Is Not Like the Others...

Just noticed this yesterday: under the driver's side fog lamp there is an opening. But on the passenger side there is a black plastic "waffle-design" filler piece. Looking at the parts explosion I can\t tell is both sides are supposed to have it. It is hardly noticeable, but I wonder if one side has gone AWOL?

Old May 20, 2015, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
hmmm isnt the transmission cooler on the driver side?

On my 2015 the fog light cover has an open on the driver side but a waffle cover on the passenger side.
Old May 20, 2015, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

That is what I thought too. But the parts explosion seems to suggest that there should be a filler there. And what if you want to add LED DRLs? Would partially blocking that opening matter?
Old May 20, 2015, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the right side it the oil cooler side, that's why it is open the left side is blocked off because there is no need for it to be open, I would love for them both to be open so when I add the trans. cooler I got it would be functional, I guess I will just drill it out so it will be functional and still look stock.
Old May 20, 2015, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
It is definitely the air intake for the CVT cooler. See the combined picture below. The image of the grey OS was posted by one of our fellow members (sorry I forgot), when his front bumper got damaged. I thought I save this image since it shows well, what is in the wheel arch.
There is no cover for this side. Please do not install the LED DRL-s that go to this spot if you have a CVT transmission.
These LEDs are marketed for ASX models. In Eurpope with the exception of the new 2.2L (rather 2.3 L, actually) turbo diesel all other ASX models come with manual transmissions (1.6L gasoline with a 5 speed and 1.8 L turbo diesels with a 6 speed), and thus they have the exact same cover on the driver side as well (see the black ASX detail.) The 2.2 L new turbo diesel is equipped with the 6 speed automatic (I suspect the same as we have here in the V6 Outlander).
Like us Australia and South Africa get the CVT equipped gasoline models.
Attached Thumbnails One of These Things Is Not Like the Others...-cvt-cooler2.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old May 20, 2015, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Good to know. Thanks!!
Old May 20, 2015, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Looking at the parts dfiagram, it appears as though the passenger side (right) filler plate is removable. I wonder if it is finished nicely to match the driver's side?