Notices

2103 door lock - manual option?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2103 door lock - manual option?

The key fobs keep failing to unlock the drivers door. Climbed in through passenger side many times but afraid one day the passenger side won't open. The drivers side has a spot for the key, but how does it work? Turned the lock in both directions but nothing happens. I've turned hard enough in both directions to feel like I was bending the key.... I'm at a loss. Why is the lock there if it doesn't do anything? I must be missing something.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by daved912
The key fobs keep failing to unlock the drivers door. Climbed in through passenger side many times but afraid one day the passenger side won't open. The drivers side has a spot for the key, but how does it work? Turned the lock in both directions but nothing happens. I've turned hard enough in both directions to feel like I was bending the key.... I'm at a loss. Why is the lock there if it doesn't do anything? I must be missing something.
Based on your description your issue is not electronic but rather mechanical (but see the end of my post). Your driver side door lock might get jammed occasionally. The physical key must be able to open the door lock without excessive force. If you locked the car with the key fob the alarm will sound though.
I suggest, you should try the following: sit in the driver seat and lock the doors from inside with the button on the armrest on the door. Operate the switch back and forth and try to open the door from inside both when the doors are locked or unlocked. You must be able to open the driver side door regardless whether it is locked or unlocked (this is not applicable to the rest of the doors). While doing these maneuvers watch the tiny rotating plastic indicator (circled in the attached image) to flip back and forth.
If you fail to open the driver side door from inside when the rest of the doors are open
then I suspect your door lock is jammed. Your car must be under warranty, so take it to the dealer and let them fix it for you. If you do not have confidence in the mechanics at the dealership (many of us fall into this category) then I suggest you should remove the door panel (search in this forum how to do it, there are many posts by mRVRSport and by Infected, for example) and take a look at the door lock mechanism. Make sure you unhook the electrical connection and try your key afterwards to rule out an electrical failure or just pull the door lock relay and try to use your key.
You may also try to reprogram the door opening algorytm. I suspect currently with one click of the key fob your driver's door opens only and the second click opens the rest of the doors including the liftgate. Your user's manual describes how to enable the one- click-for-all-doors option. If none of the doors can be opened after this reprogramming you have an electrical problem, if there is no change then the problem has a mechanical root.
Attached Thumbnails 2103 door lock - manual option?-driver-side-door.jpg  
Old May 23, 2017, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by AWCAWD
Based on your description your issue is not electronic but rather mechanical (but see the end of my post). Your driver side door lock might get jammed occasionally. The physical key must be able to open the door lock without excessive force. If you locked the car with the key fob the alarm will sound though.
I suggest, you should try the following: sit in the driver seat and lock the doors from inside with the button on the armrest on the door. Operate the switch back and forth and try to open the door from inside both when the doors are locked or unlocked. You must be able to open the driver side door regardless whether it is locked or unlocked (this is not applicable to the rest of the doors). While doing these maneuvers watch the tiny rotating plastic indicator (circled in the attached image) to flip back and forth.
If you fail to open the driver side door from inside when the rest of the doors are open
then I suspect your door lock is jammed. Your car must be under warranty, so take it to the dealer and let them fix it for you. If you do not have confidence in the mechanics at the dealership (many of us fall into this category) then I suggest you should remove the door panel (search in this forum how to do it, there are many posts by mRVRSport and by Infected, for example) and take a look at the door lock mechanism. Make sure you unhook the electrical connection and try your key afterwards to rule out an electrical failure or just pull the door lock relay and try to use your key.
You may also try to reprogram the door opening algorytm. I suspect currently with one click of the key fob your driver's door opens only and the second click opens the rest of the doors including the liftgate. Your user's manual describes how to enable the one- click-for-all-doors option. If none of the doors can be opened after this reprogramming you have an electrical problem, if there is no change then the problem has a mechanical root.

Awesome reply! I also think something is jamming up