Notices

AWC question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AWC question

Hey everyone,
I live in Minnesota and am wondering about the awc on my Outlander Sport, 2014. In the years that I’ve owned the vehicle I’ve always felt that I get less back end slipping and sliding in 2wd then either of the awc auto/lock. I’m 2wd I have no issues going around corners but in awc mode at times it’s slide 90 degrees or so before regaining control. I’ve driving other family/friends vehicles awd/4wd that get no sliding around corners. The frustration is when MN gets 2-6” of snow I love the get up power from a dead stop on awc but turning corners is awful Yes I am taking them slow not whipping around them. Any idea why? This is my first vehicle that’s not 2wd, trying to understand the mechanics of it all, especially on snow.
Thanks.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Hey Laguna,
Welcome to the forum.
I hear your concerns and we own the '13 O.S. AWC for the past 6 years and haven't had any rear end slip like what you described..
However, we don't get much snow around own parts.. Less than 2 inches for the total amount of time we had this vehicle.
We do get quite a bit of heavy down pours though.

I'm wondering if your rear tires are thin on the treads? Have you rotated your wheels??
Like this >

To see if it helps your situation.

Here's the original thread (Post#7):
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...alignment.html

- But, honestly if you're getting ~6" of snow where you are, it may be time to consider dedicated winter tires for your driving safety.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 07:03 PM

If the rear tires are worn more than the front tires this will happen, put the tires with better tread in the rear or you could run snow tires like I do, the combination of awd and snow tires makes my sport a snow monster
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
I agree with the assessments my fellow members gave above. As someone, who drives in similar climate and road conditions as you (we get an average 7 feet snow in one season) I would like to add few more things.
1.) You did not specify whether you have dedicated winter tires or not. I believe it is a must in Minnesota for the entire winter. With 4-season tires you will not have sufficient control over your vehicle.The crappiest brand winter tire (with proper thread 2/32nd is not applicable for winter tires, 4 to 5/32 is the minimum you can expect traction in slippery conditions) will outperform the most advanced four season tire in cold, snowy roads.
2.) You did not specify what kind of other all wheel drive vehicles you have driven and whether they had dedicated winter tires. The AWC is not a slip-and-grip type system unlike the ones used by many other manufacturers. You are getting 15-40% or 15-50 % torques sent to the back in our system in 4WD Auto or 4WD Lock modes, respectively. Some AWD systems offered by others can only appropriate very limited torque to the rear ( see the examples below for CRV and RAV4 hybrid for example). In these cases no wonder that you would feel the behavior of a front wheel drive vehicle.
3.) A FWD car is under steered and a RWD is over steered. It is anticipated if substantial torque is appropriated to the rear axle the car tend to be less under steered. Nonetheless, grip is limited by your tire-surface interaction that takes us back to my 1) and also what the other two fellows mentioned in the previous posts.

On the personal note: I can only praise the AWC system of the OS/RVR. Equipped with proper snow tires there has been no problem for me over 6 and a half winters.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 04:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by AWCAWD
You did not specify whether you have dedicated winter tires or not.
if only able to choose one for winter driving , i'd take snow tires over AWD.
both is even better.

most knuckleheads around here don't understand that snow tires aren't just for snow - they are for *cold*, too. the rubber compounds in snow tires stay soft in cold weather, where summer and all-season tires will harden up and turn into ice skates.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark
both is even better.

most knuckleheads around here don't understand that snow tires aren't just for snow - they are for *cold*, too. the rubber compounds in snow tires stay soft in cold weather, where summer and all-season tires will harden up and turn into ice skates.
I cannot agree more. Many people spend a lot of money on gadgets and performance "upgrades"(?) that may or may not have real benefits and ignore the more important and necessary investments. Forgot to mention that I have been using directional winter tires that supposed to have even better wet performance. They work like charm. Last week we just got nearly a foot of fresh snow and I could drive before the snow plower came. I could easily park and then drive away in a deep fresh snow (deeper than the ground clearance). Potent AWD+winter tires+ proper ground clearance are the necessary ingredients of winter driving in the Northeast and in the Midwest.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

both is even better.

Ads like this doesn't help matters...
However, like Landshark said, with proper tires AND 574HP, this one is mighty cool >
Old Jan 31, 2019, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

I don't even have snow tires on the OS - my wife doesn't bother going anywhere if the roads are bad.

this is my snow beast ...

surprises a lot of typical 4x4's that are sliding all over the place.
my biggest fear is soccer moms and Joe Business Suit in their AWD SUV's who think they are invincible .... on all season tires.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

^
Dang brother..!
Is it the 3.5L or 3.7L?

my biggest fear is soccer moms and Joe Business Suit in their AWD SUV's who think they are invincible .... on all season tires.
I hear you..
I have the Same fear around our parts when it rains..
Especially in their honkin' Fords/Chevys/Dodges 4x4 trucks that they drive like they were Porsches carving thru traffic.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mRVRsport
^
Dang brother..!
Is it the 3.5L or 3.7L?
3.7L, got it CPO two years old with 27k miles for almost half of what it stickered for new .. i still think i overpayed, but it was the color and all options i wanted and 4 miles from my house.

they are fairly cheap, and bulletproof for the most part.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 06:56 PM

Spot on landshark, those days you get a dusting of snow and it turns to ice, black ice or heavy snow the difference is night and day, I spend a lot of time in northern Wisconsin and any side road can remain covered in packed snow with ice for weeks at a time and the investment in snow tires is cheaper than an insurance deductible
and on the fun side of thing with snows I get to take the OS trail riding
Old Feb 1, 2019, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hotrodbug
Spot on landshark, those days you get a dusting of snow and it turns to ice, black ice or heavy snow the difference is night and day
i get out of work at midnight, so many times if its snowing, the roads are unplowed and unsalted ...
with snow tires, what normally would be a white-knuckle ride home can be kinda fun (while still being careful, of course).