Notices

Loss of Power

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2019, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Xinbing Liu
I would. I even don't care whether they changed my ATF or not. I only paid $189 to buy their "service done" signature on my maintenance log book. If the CVT fails in the tenth year, they fix it on their expense, because I "blindly" followed their manual. Anything they don't mention in their manual, are their fault and they must fix it for free. And yes they did.

The tenth year, I will trade it in, before the 10-year warranty runs out.

Mitsu does not have ten-year warranty in USA, then your way would be different after 5 years.
i see your argument for the transmission fluid, but i do oil changes myself. takes 15 minutes, costs ~$30, and i know its done right vs. time to drive to dealer and back + an hour wait, costs ~$50-60, and done by some high school kid (the Master Tech does not do oil changes ).
Old Jul 21, 2019, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark
i see your argument for the transmission fluid, but i do oil changes myself. takes 15 minutes, costs ~$30, and i know its done right vs. time to drive to dealer and back + an hour wait, costs ~$50-60, and done by some high school kid (the Master Tech does not do oil changes ).
Alright. No argument. DIY is totally alright, and I agree with you, that I (and you) can do the job a lot better than the dealer interns.

However, ATF change is a different story than oil change. I have done 5AT ATF change for Odessey and Civics a number of times, as easy as oil change. Changing CVT ATF needs special tool and software.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 03:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Xinbing Liu
Alright. No argument. DIY is totally alright, and I agree with you, that I (and you) can do the job a lot better than the dealer interns.

However, ATF change is a different story than oil change. I have done 5AT ATF change for Odessey and Civics a number of times, as easy as oil change. Changing CVT ATF needs special tool and software.
i don't even mess with transmission fluid or coolant anymore - too old and lazy. my car's transmission is "sealed", so i'd have to rig some sort of pump to get the fluid in there, while maintaining a certain temperature, blah, blah, blah. i'll spare my back the pain and let the dealer do that one when its time.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes absolutely. I only need to change it once during its lifetime, why should I invest time and effort for the special tools and software. Simply pay $189 once then trade it in at the tenth year before another change is needed. I already saved over a thousand by changing oil, rotors and pads by myself.