Notices
Pacific Northwest General areas surrounding Bellingham, Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue, Spokane, Yakima, Portland, Eugene, Bend, Medford

***Official WA Chat Thread***

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2012, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan.Kauz
Going to be at Dirtfish for a 1/2 day rally driving tomorrow. I hope its as much fun as advertised!!!!

Then down to puyallup to work on Evo's with JoeyB.

Looking forward to your review on this.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Uryelowducky
Man I really love the sound of the bbk full spooling. Drools. I wanted an fp red but man the spool time of that bbk is too insane. Man... the new fp green or this???? HMMmmMm The BBK full is a direct bolt on turbo right? I have an 8 so I know ill have to get the 8 install kit but aside from that.. Man that would mate perfect with my s1 cams.
Where could I find one of these bbks?
Contact Chad @ CBRD. AFAIK the bb bbk fulls haven't been released other than a few test cars but the other options are already out there. I have an VIII too and the S1s + the bb BBK full will be the way I go whenver I outgro the VIII turbo at the track or it dies
Old Jan 8, 2012, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone know who this is???

Old Jan 10, 2012, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by codgi
Looking forward to your review on this.
I will be writing a review once images come back from the photographer.

In the big push for an actual English Racing tune, the following has been ordered and is going on the car:

1) Forced Performance turbine driven fuel pump (255lph flow rate)
2) ETS short rout UICP custom powdercoated (+3whp)
3) Synapsis BOV, custom powdercoated (+2 whp)
4) Grimmspeed 3-port boost controller
5) AEM boost gauge (50psi max)

While I am not a fan of having gauges all over the place, it seems the car is at the point that one is neccessary.....

Now to have English finally get a proper SD tune on it!!!!! (for those who dont know, the past 2 dyno days have been a bust with a wastegate issue and recently a fuel pump and MBC issue)
Old Jan 10, 2012, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
isn't 50 PSI is a tad high...it'll only use like half the useful spectrum
Old Jan 10, 2012, 02:51 PM

I think it's mostly to show that it can handle up to 50 PSI
Old Jan 10, 2012, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

When the turbo upgrade happens the "industry standard" of a 30psi gauge can be exceeded.

Either way, 30psi wont be enough in the long run.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

I will be writing a review once images come back from the photographer.

In the big push for an actual English Racing tune, the following has been ordered and is going on the car:

1) Forced Performance turbine driven fuel pump (255lph flow rate)
2) ETS short rout UICP custom powdercoated (+3whp)
3) Synapsis BOV, custom powdercoated (+2 whp)
4) Grimmspeed 3-port boost controller
5) AEM boost gauge (50psi max)

While I am not a fan of having gauges all over the place, it seems the car is at the point that one is neccessary.....

Now to have English finally get a proper SD tune on it!!!!! (for those who dont know, the past 2 dyno days have been a bust with a wastegate issue and recently a fuel pump and MBC issue)

You going dragging with a 30psi+ tune? Are you already tuned for a 3 port currently or will you be making minor changes to the rom before the ER tune? I hear you on the gauges. I have 6 of them now. In retrospect I should have put 3 on the dash instead of having the a pillar pod.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:21 PM
Account Disabled

Doubtful you'll be running over or much over 30psi on the street though. 50psi is really more for drag only cars.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not sure which gauge Ryan is getting but with the Tru Boost you either get 29.5 pressure sensor (stock) or upgrade to the 75 psi sensor. I personally don't plan on seeing 75psi anytime soon, but I certainly wanted to see more than 29.5.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by codgi
You going dragging with a 30psi+ tune? Are you already tuned for a 3 port currently or will you be making minor changes to the rom before the ER tune? I hear you on the gauges. I have 6 of them now. In retrospect I should have put 3 on the dash instead of having the a pillar pod.
Currently tuned on a questionably-functioning-Forge-MBC, I will be installing the Grimspeed 3-port the night before driving down to ER which wont be seeing much boost.

Gauges: 6 is just a bit too much for my DD. Simple, clean and sleek is my cup of tea on interior mods.

Originally Posted by yahu
I'm not sure which gauge Ryan is getting but with the Tru Boost you either get 29.5 pressure sensor (stock) or upgrade to the 75 psi sensor. I personally don't plan on seeing 75psi anytime soon, but I certainly wanted to see more than 29.5.
It is an AEM analog faced digital gauge. Its very easy to read the <30psi range. And like in Yahu's situation, there will be a time when I want to go over 30psi and wont want to dump a couple hundred replacing gauges.

Additionally, in my mind's eye I dont feel that things work well when put at or near 100% of their maximum range. It just seems like an error rating would go up as you reach the maximum threshold for an item. Ex: I wouldnt want to run injectors at or above 90% of their duty cycle. Could you? Sure! But for how long?

http://www.aemelectronics.com/boost-...alog-face-1143
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Currently tuned on a questionably-functioning-Forge-MBC, I will be installing the Grimspeed 3-port the night before driving down to ER which wont be seeing much boost.
Great.

Gauges: 6 is just a bit too much for my DD. Simple, clean and sleek is my cup of tea on interior mods.
Well until I can get my hands on a 3 car garage the DD also does occasional track duty and having them allows me to see quickly if something is going wrong.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
isn't 50 PSI is a tad high...it'll only use like half the useful spectrum
Depends on your setup and ultimate goals. The standard AEM digital goes to 35 psi, which is plenty. But I just recently switched to the 50 psi version for the instances that one might go over 35psi. My advice, pay the little bit more and get the 50 psi so you won't have to buy it twice.

Last edited by RoninVIIIRS; Jan 12, 2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

my advice - get the AEM TruBoost which will be fine for under $30. If you go over 30 in the future then buy the upgrade. Plus Aaron can do some nifty things with the TruBoost, and you have multiple maps at your fingertip plus a big ol' digital readout.

Are people opposed to the TruBoost, or just prefer the analog gauges?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:19 AM
Evolving Member

The pricing I have seen for the 75 psi/5 bar sensor upgrade for the truboost is nothing but ouch! It's like $180 retail.

Quick Reply: ***Official WA Chat Thread***