Notices
Pacific Northwest General areas surrounding Bellingham, Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue, Spokane, Yakima, Portland, Eugene, Bend, Medford

Welcome to Pacific Northwest!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:39 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Comments from other, now locked thread:

Originally Posted by PKEVO8
It seems like a good idea, but when you focus a regional forum down to one specific city, that could make a thief's job easy. In high-theft cities, like Chicago, I think people would be concerned about people using the info posted to steal cars. Then again, people should have discretion about they post. I'm just playing devil's advocate; but I think spotted threads should be kept to a minimum, or new stringent rules about how and what people post should be included with these new regional forums
There's no change to the content. You're planning meets on a public forum, if a thief is using EvoM as an effective tool then you're already posting too much info. Generally speaking you shouldn't post your home address publicly, plan the meet then PM address to attendees. If you're planning on meets in public places, the risk doesn't change.

The spotted thread is thorny, I never really liked when someone spotted my car at my house and posted about it. (Un)common sense should dictate that that's stupid.

Originally Posted by Ryan.Kauz
Angie is a good choice!

Now she can officiall ban the trolls. Oh snaps..... well, not the nice ones
Note my avatar picture...

Originally Posted by Lucas English
DSM Tunners is that way and it sucks. Groups are to small so no talking really goes on. Tunners went form a very busy NW section to noting as soon as they did what you say you are going to do.

I think no smaller then Oregon and Washington.
Our area is fairly unique that Seattlers and Portlanders intermingle heavily. I've been involved with other groups where people wouldn't drive across town (Chicago, in this case) much less to a different state. My original "map" was basically the I-5 bore-idor from Vancouver BC down to Portland 'burbs; expanding it east to include Spokane and other areas works well too.

As far as business goes, how many customers do you have from Alaska or Colorado?

Originally Posted by llDemonll
Exactly. Separation isn't a good thing. I mod one of the most popular mmo forums and there's a very specific reason why we don't have a lot of subforums; they would have nearly no activity and people wouldn't visit them nearly as often.

people think it's a good idea to have these really specific forums but it's not, it's a very good way to get people to stop posting.
You're comparing a car forum to a video game forum? How many meetups EVER happen for MMOs?

Originally Posted by Lucas English
I can see making sub forums for those other states. Just keep WA and OR as one and we are good.
As mentioned, eventually we'll have more communities. Each one is tailored to the area and the active members. We've tried to not split up the active PacNW group, just as we'll do with others.

Originally Posted by skidmarq
I think that sounds great, BellyD. Thanks for being open to feedback!
We are feeling this out. I've been on many other car forums where the regional/community forums dominated the activity; there's only so many times you can talk about different turbos and spring rates. The social aspect of owning sports cars is a huge draw for some people, others just want to look at dyno charts. We're trying to better facilitate the former group, as we've done a pretty good job with the latter.

Lastly, go easy on Angie. She's a guinea pig in this process too. Blame me if you want to get mad at someone.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedlimit
I am reading it. And you read and commented on the announcement last weekend. Thank you.

This move is intended to not only benefit the active Washington/Oregon regional area but to encourage increased activity in the other Regional States that do not share the same local geographical area. (i.e. Colorado) Keep in mind the decision to carve up the US into regions was done is 2001 when the site had less that 100 members and discussing a car (Evo) that was two years away from US release. We are now the largest Mitsubishi community in the world and it makes sense to revisit the current Regional areas and make changes we feel will encourage regional growth. I don't think that is retarded at all. Thanks.

Bob..
The original division, sure, but then 2 or so years back a Colorado and bunch of those other states were moved in the NW. I could buy the argument if that was done from the beginning but to make a bad move 2 years ago and compound it with this one....
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
Bob beat me to it, but yes, this change is the leading edge of going from having 6 huge regions to having numerous smaller, more local communities. The huge regions worked fine at a few thousand members, but we see that at 100k or whatever we're at, the community aspect is largely lost. The NW region worked OK because Seattle/Portland dominated it anyway. But in the case of the SW, you've got strong contingents in LA, bay area, Phoenix, LV, several cities in TX, etc. Many of those communities have left EvoM for their local planning; we're trying to keep them under our fold to better serve new members who join and want to find local happenings.

So yeah, that's why.
I doubt the issue they have those sites is to do with not being able to post to their own community. They are lots of rules and regulations on EvoM that aren't condusive to keeping everyone around. E.g one of the most frustrating ones is the requirement on for sale to add a user name to pics even for a local region where you are specifying that you want only local pick up. I can buy it if you are posting in a non-regional forum and plan to ship (even though with all the Photoshop experts these days...)...but local pick up you can inspect before you pay. You don't like it you walk.

And I could think of several others a lot more controversial which may get me hit with that big ban hammer . Those local sites often don't have a lot of similar limitations. I understand its a business and you guys have to do what you to do to try to keep the site up and running...but it might not be a bad idea to do a serious study on some of those other sites and see what is drawing those people there.

I'll end with a David Stern quote "Basketball reasons"

Last edited by codgi; Feb 16, 2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Meant to add that at least putting it as a top level link is useful so for that.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the only whiney woman I've seen in all of this is Alex.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:22 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by codgi
I doubt the issue they have those sites is to do with not being able to post to their own community. They are lots of rules and regulations on EvoM that aren't condusive to keeping everyone around. E.g one of the most frustrating ones is the requirement on for sale to add a user name to pics even for a local region where you are specifying that you want only local pick up. I can buy it if you are posting in a non-regional forum and plan to ship (even though with all the Photoshop experts these days...)...but local pick up you can inspect before you pay. You don't like it you walk.

And I could think of several others a lot more controversial which may get me hit with that big ban hammer . Those local sites often don't have a lot of similar limitations. I understand its a business and you guys have to do what you to do to try to keep the site up and running...but it might not be a bad idea to do a serious study on some of those other sites and see what is drawing those people there.

I'll end with a David Stern quote "Basketball reasons"
We're always open to discussing rules and whatnot, so long as the discussions aren't personal. We've changed rules dozens of times over the years, sometimes haphazardly, but usually with a fair amount of discussion. Every site has rules for a reason, usually to suit their needs. Several years ago we had a wave of new members show up, post a bunch of FS ads, rip everyone off, and disappear into the internetz. So our FS rules became what they are, in an attempt to protect people from scammers. Ditto for most of the other rules.

Once this gets going, we may revisit our rules for local sales (i.e. being a bit more lenient).

I realize a lot of the smaller/local sites operate as "anything goes" clubs for friends. That's never going to be us. Most of the "content" is idle chat, usually with an active thread for ridiculing EvoM and various moderators (I know of two targeting me, just off the top of my head) because someone got buttsore about getting banned for flaming.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific ideas here.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:55 AM

Hello All,

After owning subarus for years as of this weekend i picked up base 2012 GSR. I haven't really got a chance to get into it but car feel super fast and handels like nothing else. I would love to meet other EVO owners in the NW area.

Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sleep60
Hello All,

After owning subarus for years as of this weekend i picked up base 2012 GSR. I haven't really got a chance to get into it but car feel super fast and handels like nothing else. I would love to meet other EVO owners in the NW area.

You should join us tonight at Golden Gardens for our meet and bbq!
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:44 PM

Just got back from Portland visting some friends. Are people still down there or?
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another 10 owner! Not very many of us lol. Welcome to the club
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:03 AM

Indeed Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:20 AM

Since i'm the new guy here and i missed the golden garden thing. Those of you Evo guys who missed the event yesterday and still want bbq and chill i do actually have a grill on my deck we could use. Those of you who are interested go ahead and pm me and i'll give out directions/contact number. I live in Renton currently.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sleep60
Since i'm the new guy here and i missed the golden garden thing. Those of you Evo guys who missed the event yesterday and still want bbq and chill i do actually have a grill on my deck we could use. Those of you who are interested go ahead and pm me and i'll give out directions/contact number. I live in Renton currently.
Sounds like fun... I'm stuck at work till 5 :-/ also You own a Evo 19, please to be explaining yourself!!!
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:02 AM

Humm, i guess i must be from the future or something then.. I will fix that...
Old Aug 25, 2012, 05:50 PM

On a different subject what gear old are people running in the evo 10? hear redline is good but i'm leaning more toward the Motul GEAR 300 75W90 Gear oil.

Quick Reply: Welcome to Pacific Northwest!