Notices
Pacific Northwest General areas surrounding Bellingham, Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue, Spokane, Yakima, Portland, Eugene, Bend, Medford

Resonated Test Pipe

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Resonated Test Pipe

So i'm getting ride of my Hi-Flow Cat and putting in a test pipe. I'm leaning towards the Resonated Test pipe as opposed to a regular test pipe to help quiet things down. Does anyone have any comments for or against this?

Also, if I replace the Cat, will I have any CEL or sensor issues without a retune? Emissions? I'm going back down to English once I get it in, but am curious about anything that may come up when I replace it. Anything else I need to know?

Spanks
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

What brand Test Pipe? As long as the O2 sensor is not in the direct stream of the exhaust flow it shouldn't throw a CEL. I have the ETS TP with the J-Pipe O2 bung that pulls the sensor out the stream and I get no CELs (No tune either...at least no tune yet). I personally love the sound of the TP and I have a 3.5yr old and 1.5yr old that have absolutely no problem falling asleep to the sound while cruising around town or the highway.

Edit: Just noticed you had a 9, I don't know if ETS has TP for the 8/9? Either way as log as the sensor is pulled out of the stream via O2 extender/J-Pipe you shouldn't get a code. ER can turn it off as well I'm sure.

Last edited by J Dog; Apr 17, 2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You won't throw a code since ER tuned it already. It'll pass emissions too.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I couldn't stand the noise of the test pipe on my exhaust, I had both the resonated and non-resonated test pipe installed on my car. I think with the resonated version it has a deeper tone to it and isn't obnoxious cruising. I'm running the AMS turboback.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

I have a Buschur resonated TP and I like it. It definitely quieted things down in the cabin a bit, and I think the tone is a bit deeper. I usually get good comments about my exhaust sound too (running a Buschur Bullet). I'm in Redmond during the day if you'd like to take a listen/go for a quick drive.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by yahu
I have a Buschur resonated TP and I like it. It definitely quieted things down in the cabin a bit, and I think the tone is a bit deeper. I usually get good comments about my exhaust sound too (running a Buschur Bullet). I'm in Redmond during the day if you'd like to take a listen/go for a quick drive.
Sweet. I definitely hit you up on that offer. I wanna go for a ride anyways. It's funny because I've actually never been in another Evo. Ever. Crazy.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

^that is funny, but makes sense. When we all meet we usually have our own cars, so not much of a point. I have been in other Evos though - carpooled with ShAngie to a meet once and drove Mikey's Evo for a bit when he was deployed. I also have been in a few others now that I think about it.

BTW - I live in Monroe but work in Redmond. Let me know when it might work for you as my days at work are flexible.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

So I replaced the Cat with a Resonated Test pipe the other day and took it for a drive. No more knocking. I still have to get it tuned though to fully take advantage, but Butt dyno shows a slight improvement in spool. Awesome.

I was very surprised, however, that the loundness level was pretty much the same as the Hi-flow-cat. It has a slightly deeper tone, but it didn't get much louder. More Awsomer.

I'm trying to figure out though if there is anything else I should get before I get a retune to make it more worthwhile. Any suggestions?

http://youtu.be/qDYBH7CFFQI?hd=1
Old May 2, 2012, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

are you on an SD tune yet?
Old May 2, 2012, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by yahu
are you on an SD tune yet?
What's an SD tune?
Old May 3, 2012, 04:29 AM
Evolved Member

SD = Speed Density. Removes the MAF and you need to add a 3-port minimum, but can pick up good power. Depending on numerous variables there could be some idle issues (personally I didn't have issues on the stock block).
Old May 4, 2012, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

oh yeah, Speed Density. Yeah I need to look into that more. Would I be using the same stock intake tubing and cone filter? I've hesitated changing the intake because the just seem to make the turbo louder without really any HP gain. I'll check into the SD. Thanks for the input
Old May 4, 2012, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
ported intake/exhaust manifold
Old May 4, 2012, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Resonator test pipe is the best way to go on the street, one could say best flow/low db Nothings worse than cabin drone...
Im also looking into this:

http://cascadeaudio.com/blog/treating_road_noise.htm

Should help quiet things down even more...light in weight too, better than other sound dampeners available
Old May 4, 2012, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
http://sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

check his site out also. they go about it two opposite ways; one says treat the whole area, the other says 25% is just fine

Quick Reply: Resonated Test Pipe