Notices
Pacific Northwest General areas surrounding Bellingham, Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue, Spokane, Yakima, Portland, Eugene, Bend, Medford

Moving up to Seattle, what are the demographics of the car scene?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2012, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Moving up to Seattle, what are the demographics of the car scene?

My girlfriend and I are moving up to Seattle at the end of this month. Fremont to be exact. But how is the car scene up there? Big? And also how are the cops about modified cars? Is it like california were people are getting tickets for stock exhausts and aftermarket intakes or like Reno where the cop probably has a hot rod of diesel truck thats louder than your car? And window tint; do they like to hand out alot of tickets for tint?
Old Sep 9, 2012, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
The car scene is good up here. Good shops, shows and races. There is a new track south of Seattle in Shelton. A good track in Portland. English Racing/ETS/Perrin/Girodisc are all located in the NW. The drift scene is huge with events throughout the summer at Monroe, including Formula D. A few Rally events and Rally schools. We just had a huge Mitsubishi/Nissanparts show yesterday in Olympia.

As for cops? Well I'm pretty chill and don't give tickets for loud exhausts and tinted windows, I can't speak for the rest though.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
good luck finding a place in fremont with garage / undercover parking
Old Sep 9, 2012, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The scene is big and all over. Eastside, up north and south. Like any area lots of beat rides too but there are some amazing ones too. It's not crazy here like LA for having a modded car. I quickly get a cop behind me and I'm sure they run my plate and info but they leave me alone.

Welcome!
Old Sep 9, 2012, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What everyone else just said. Just watch out for the "douchenozzle self righteous **** talking" types. Still plenty of those no matter where you go............. and always make sure your car is locked.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
There are cops that have STi's and Evo's so for the most part I would categorise them as car guys. Its like anywhere though, there are always ones that ruin it.

Aaron
Old Sep 9, 2012, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The most common thing they ticket/pull over for around here seems to be the missing front plate. Have always had mine on so no issues for me
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:40 AM
Account Disabled

Don't text and drive on the phone, it got bumped to a Primary offense up here...so that means they don't need any other reason to pull you over, if they catch you, just a fyi as well.

The drifting community does have plenty of events that go all the way into the beginning of December and starts back up in March. Not only are there a few Rally events that happen here in WA and OR, but also events that go on up in Canada if you have your passport or enhanced license. Car scene up here, is everything from the Domestic Classics and Muscle to Japanese and Euro Classics up to modern cars.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
good luck finding a place in fremont with garage / undercover parking
Seriously. A lot of older houses with super small single car garages and street parking is horrible. I live next door in Ballard and have to park on the street because my garage can not fit my car, tools, family bikes at the same time.

I moved here a little over a year ago from the Bay area and was supprised to find so many owners here.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:35 PM
Evolving Member

You'll definitely enjoy the scene up here.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by codgi
The most common thing they ticket/pull over for around here seems to be the missing front plate. Have always had mine on so no issues for me
Havent had a problem yet but I live in Everett. fingers crossed. I think the main reason for this latley is the tool bridge charges you buy your snaping a pic of your plate I got pulled over in my roomates truck for the clear covers over his plates no ticket though.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

The state patrol are the biggest problem here IMHO. They are simply revenue generators for the state, and will cut tickets left and right if you give them anything but a "yes sir, no sir" during a traffic stop. I waved at one once sarcastically after he tried to get me to run when I had my gsx-r... I didn't get a ticket but he did hop two curbs in the middle of rush hour to tell me my rear license plate wasnt straight up and down...

My advice on the highways - radar/laser detector, stay with the flow of traffic, and IF you want to do more than ten over the limit, always watch for unmarked cars/trucks/suv's, and on/off ramps where they love to hide.

I'm just north of you in greenwood. Come have a beer when you get settled!

- Owen
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Having lived in FreeLard for a year (That is the city line between Freemont and Ballard), I can say this: it sucked.

However none of the reasons it sucked were due to the vehicle. There was actually no problems what so ever as police enforcement in that area is non existant (fairly safe neighborhood).

You just have to deal with hipsters, non-turbo subaru wagon owners (and all that implies) and the self righteous who want to stop you while grocery shopping to tell you that you arent looking at organic produce and why organic produce will help save the world and that you're killing babies, ruining the world and/or harming Ballard.

Seriously, I was stopped no less than 3 times with some hipster spewing about produce. GET A LIFE!

Generally its thought that Eastsiders (East side of Lake Washington) are stuck up, but IMHO having to try at every moment to prove that you arent stuck up makes you seem more stuck up than those you're comparing yourself to.

You can even play a fun game every day!!! "How many subaru wagons will I see on my way to work?" (counting Baja's, outbacks, impreza and forester). My personal record is 16 and the commute is 3.8 miles.

Originally Posted by AznEvoIX
What everyone else just said. Just watch out for the "douchenozzle self righteous **** talking" types. Still plenty of those no matter where you go............. and always make sure your car is locked.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:21 PM

DUDE!! THE KENT STREET RACES ON THE WEEKENDS ARE THE BEST BRO!!! All the hondas there are helllllllllllllllllllllllllla fast!! /lots-of-sarcasm
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2011EvoXGSR
DUDE!! THE KENT STREET RACES ON THE WEEKENDS ARE THE BEST BRO!!! All the hondas there are helllllllllllllllllllllllllla fast!! /lots-of-sarcasm
So 2002!!! When it was actually fun to go and the cops would actually sit and watch.......and yes, when a 14.5 1/4 mile was a "fast car". Sometimes I miss being young and stupid.

Quick Reply: Moving up to Seattle, what are the demographics of the car scene?