Notices
Pacific Northwest General areas surrounding Bellingham, Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue, Spokane, Yakima, Portland, Eugene, Bend, Medford

PSI Experience

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:18 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
PSI Experience

So this has been a long story... but figured I'd share.

It started when I got my Enkei RPF1s 18x9.5 +15 with Toyo Proxes R1-R 265/35/18 set up. I was on factory suspension at the time and definitely needed a roll and an alignment. This was back in May. I called Myles at English Racing and he explained they were at least 8 weeks out at the time. English is always my go to, but knowing they don't do alignments and waiting that long with summer coming up wasn't an option.

I get support from Discount Tire and asked my rep Chris who I should try. He recommended PSI. Now I've heard some random stories about PSI over the years -- both good and bad, but figured I'd give them a shot. I didn't have a ton of options for quality work and figured they'd approach it with the utmost professionalism. After all, they work on $100k+ cars.

I called, talked to JJ. It was apparent they hadn't worked on many CZ4As, but they sounded confident they could get everything squared away with the fender rolling. I wanted someone very professional because I heard of amateurs rolling their fenders and cracking the paint. Chris Carey from MAP gave a few tips (heating the metal, going slow, etc). Long story short, JJ set up the appointment for an alignment on factory suspension and rear fenders to be rolled.

When I got there, I was definitely wowed. The facility has to be a million dollar facility. They have a window to their dynojet, couches, free water and snacks, GT-R in the show room, paintings, Euro bathroom. Pretty elaborate. The girl at the reception desk set me up and had me sign a waver basically stating they could charge whatever they wanted to complete the work. I could see this pertaining to elaborate work, but surely not a fender roll and an alignment.

Jason (the owner) came out with me to the car, gave me a lot of compliments on my car and explained they had not rolled fenders on a X yet but had done a ton of IXs. He said it's always possible to crack the paint but his body guy is one of the best around. We went over other options like cutting reliefs in the fenders, pulling, rolling, etc. He was very thorough when it came to options. I'm happy he spent some time with me before the car went in. It made me feel a bit more comfortable hearing honesty from the owner and at the same giving me some comfort in I was in good hands.

They took the car around back and went to work. Meanwhile I was working on their comfy couches and their nice wireless that didn't block me from any work I needed to do.

Hours later (this was expected) they pulled the car around. Awesome, I was all set. They handed me my alignment sheet (I specified the camber I wanted) and handed me the bill. It was $xxx. I wasn't sure how it broke down and I just paid it with hesitation. But figured the fender rolling was the bulk of it. After analyzing my bill, I noticed half of it was for an alignment. An alignment on factory suspension. I get they were probably more precise than the normal Les Schwab, but wasn't expecting that.

I begrudgingly paid and took off. I definitely wasn't satisfied. I knew with the waiver I signed, I was screwed either way.

I had the 2nd Annual Evom meet coming up and had to do the test route. I started driving semi aggressive making sure it was a good route and started hearing scraping around corners. I got out and noticed rub marks on the tires. Ok they didn't roll enough. At first I got a shot of emptiness in my stomach knowing that I had just paid a lot of money for a fender roll that wasn't working.

I called JJ up the following Monday, and he was very helpful. He had no problem with me bringing the car back in so they could roll a bit more. He explained they wanted to be careful as possible as to not roll / damage too much. I appreciated the honesty, just wish they told me up front. We scheduled and they re-rolled for free. The rears were fixed and working as intended. I was very happy.

Meanwhile, I was waiting I explained how I didn't understand why I had to pay so much for the alignment. He explained being on aftermarket suspension and wanting a precise alignment is the reason it cost so much. I explained I was on 100% factory suspension and his jaw dropped. He apologized repeatedly and explained they he'd be very happy to take care of the next alignment I needed. That definitely made me feel better.

Over the Summer I purchased some factory Bilsteins / Swift Spec-Rs and sent the Bilsteins in to be revalved. I'm writing an iOS app that monitors and logs suspension stats, so figured I should have a constant and a test. I waited as long as I could to test them out, but figured I should get them on so I could start testing the app some more. English swapped the factory suspension for the factory bilstein swift set up. I was on my way but needed an alignment.

I called JJ and explained I went to lowering springs and needed an alignment. He told me to bring it in. Brought it in and within an hour had my new alignment.

I'm very big on customer service. Anyone can run a business. But not everyone can be big on customer service to bring service back. PSI blew me away with recovery when things weren't that great. I understand their higher prices, and am ok with that. They offer a great variety of services and do a great job each time they work on something from what I've seen.

As far as tuning, there are only three tuners in the country I'd trust with my CZ4A. CT9A tuners seem to think if they can tune a 4G63, they can tune a 4B11t. It isn't the case, there is way too many differences and oddities between the two. The tuner needs to be specialized in 4B11t tuning. For this reason I wouldn't get my Evo X tuned there.

Regardless, anything that came to chassis or suspension work, I'd jump all over them. They build race cars there, and I'd trust them to do a cage install, work on suspension, chassis, etc. They are a great option when English is slammed. They are a great option if you own something other than a for all other work.

End of the day, I'm very satisfied with how things went there. I love that they are close, love their professionalism, and love their customer service. Thanks Jason and JJ.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Great Review! I have known Jason and JJ for a while now. Glad everything went smooth.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
I was expecting this to go badly because that's generally how these long-written topics end, but they sound like some stand-up people

Not sure how you mistake normal coilover struts for adjustable coilovers, but they owned up and gave you the free alignment to fix the error, props to them
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:53 AM
EvoM Community Team

Yah I purposely held off as long as I could on the review to give them a chance to fix it. I wish more people did that instead of jumping straight to the boards and jumping all over the vendor / shop.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:01 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Old Feb 8, 2013, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember meeting JJ for the first time back when he worked at Speed Concepts haha
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
I've been in there a bunch of times to say hi but never had any work done there. They are always really nice and answer any questions I have.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:04 AM

I got my wrx tuned at PSI they do have an excellent facility and Jason is a real stand up guy.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Im a big fan of PSI!..Jason has been tuning my evo since i ditched the stock ecu and i couldnt be happier,he's a great guy who has helped me through some issues ive had with my car....I've been sending all my friends over there for tunes as well,its a nice facility with a mostly knowledgable staff...Definately gets my endorsement!!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Not surprised. Jason is really good guy. Ive known him for many years. That place is really nice. I was doing walk thoughs with jason when he building the place. Im thinking of taken my talon over der to see about them finishing up the cage. Good to read a happy ending story
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:05 AM

good review!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey Migs, good review and I'm glad everything turned out all right. Unfortunately I'm probably one of the people you heard the bad review from. I haven't posted any of my headaches up yet as we're still going through it, but can't fully agree with you. I understand when you start taking stock cars & tweaking them there's going to be issues, but what I've been going through is crazy. Anyway, not going to thread jack just got a lot under the hood to vent, so to speak. Hope everything is going good.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:15 AM
EvoM Community Team

Sorry to hear that. I know you're a stand up guy too.

I have been lucky when dealing with companies in this industry. Gruppe-S has had some criticism over the years, had a close friend almost get completely ripped off by them, at the same time I've had nothing but good luck with them.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by reactionevo8
Im a big fan of PSI!..Jason has been tuning my evo since i ditched the stock ecu and i couldnt be happier,he's a great guy who has helped me through some issues ive had with my car....I've been sending all my friends over there for tunes as well,its a nice facility with a mostly knowledgable staff...Definately gets my endorsement!!

What kind of trap and ET have you gotten out of your evo? Which turbo are you running?