EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Dyno Tuning / Results (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-dyno-tuning-results-299/)
-   -   BBK-3B - my new favorite turbo (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-dyno-tuning-results/687097-bbk-3b-my-new-favorite-turbo.html)

mrfred Mar 30, 2014 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by tsitalon1 (Post 11161785)
I was trying to figure out how the hell your getting 18º of timing at redline.....then I figured out it was E85, at least that's what your sig states :)

Please don't tell me this is on 93 ")

I haven't put pump gas in my Evo in the last five years.

michaelrc51 Mar 30, 2014 01:18 PM

Which size turbine wheel was your green, 65mm or 67mm?

nonschlont Mar 30, 2014 01:51 PM

Very impressive M! Congrats on the new turbo! 33 psi @ 3800 (on a 2.0 in 3rd) + 540hp = Killer Combo!

mrfred Mar 30, 2014 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by michaelrc51 (Post 11161810)
Which size turbine wheel was your green, 65mm or 67mm?

65 mm.

asdfasdf128 Mar 30, 2014 02:42 PM

What's opinion of the 3b vs. the bbk full?

slowsrt4:( Mar 30, 2014 02:57 PM

would be interesting to see this one compared side by side with a BB red or even a JB red with the oem hotside and not the SS one

94AWDcoupe Mar 30, 2014 03:07 PM

thanks for sharing this data. mad respect for blouch and CBRD on this snail. when a turbo clearly does everything better than an already very good FP turbo you get my attention. I am drooling at these results.

GTABurnout Mar 30, 2014 05:23 PM

I love my 3B. I need some cams to wake it up.

Aby@MIL.SPEC Mar 31, 2014 05:53 AM

Awesome results!

are there any differences in porting to the hotside between the 3b & hta grn??

batty200 Mar 31, 2014 06:32 AM

Was your green journal bearing or ball bearing?

sparky Mar 31, 2014 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by mrfred (Post 11161774)
Stock, but with the Help spring mod. One half eyelet of overlap. Exact same configuration (in fact the same WGA and spring) that I used with my Green and the BBK Full....

I figured you had a trick up your sleeve. LOL;)

mrfred Mar 31, 2014 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC (Post 11162447)
Awesome results!

are there any differences in porting to the hotside between the 3b & hta grn??

The HTA Green came fully port-matched to the hotside inlet and outlet gaskets while the 3B was more of a polish job than a port job. So I bought a die grinder, some burrs, and port-matched the 3B hotside inlet and outlet to their corresponding gaskets. And of course I blended the larger openings to the passages like on the Green. I also did a bit of deep port work on the "smaller" volute. I doubt the latter made much difference, but I wanted to do it.

Originally Posted by batty200 (Post 11162466)
Was your green journal bearing or ball bearing?

Journal. English showed there was no difference in power between the JB and BB Green.

batty200 Mar 31, 2014 07:16 AM

No difference in power but response is better on the ball bearing units. Obviously you know this which is why you purchased the DBB bbk. The new green with the better housing and larger turbine wheel is a significant upgrade as well. I would say that you have an improvement for sure from what you had. I would like to see a new DBB green with 67 turbine and SS housing compared to the BBK 3B.

sparky Mar 31, 2014 07:17 AM

In another thread related to this same turbo, someone mentioned that the BBK-3B has gone through some improvements and that as a result the newest versions spool quicker than the earlier 3B's. Does anyone know what changes were made by Blouch to improve spoolup on the latest 3B's?

Maybe I am wrong, but I imagine that any significant improvement in spool would most likely be a result of further improvements to the aero design of the compressor and/or turbine wheels.

So, if the 3B has received upgrades does anyone know what exactly has been changed on these turbos?

94AWDcoupe Mar 31, 2014 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by batty200 (Post 11162504)
No difference in power but response is better on the ball bearing units. Obviously you know this which is why you purchased the DBB bbk. The new green with the better housing and larger turbine wheel is a significant upgrade as well. I would say that you have an improvement for sure from what you had. I would like to see a new DBB green with 67 turbine and SS housing compared to the BBK 3B.

fp said new housing spools 200rpm slower. and from what I can tell from results posted of roberts car they were comparing 93 octane TS spool results to E56 open scroll results with the HTA green. my guess is the new housing spools 400rpm slower. I dont need to see this comparison you will never see. the 3B is killing it. if you havent noticed CBRD turbos are never compared back to back to anyone elses turbo evo 8 or evo x.