EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Eneos vs Amsoil (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/328239-eneos-vs-amsoil.html)

ikuto Jul 29, 2008 10:23 AM

Oil Doc,

I just changed to some German Castrol 0w-30 Syntec because it's got nothing but good reviews from oil analysis reports and people that has been using it over the years. These were on sale for $20 for 5 Quarts and I stocked up on it. I've been wanting to try some Amsoil 0w-30 for some time, but seems like I have to get in on the Amsoil membership to get a better price for them.

What is your take on the German Castrol 0w-30 oil?

Thanks!

Oil Doc Jul 29, 2008 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR (Post 5942376)
I'm using Motul 6100 - 15W50

For my first two changes, as my engine only has 2000 km.
for now on I will use Motul 300V, I never leave an oil for more than 1000 KM.

Probably a waste with that oil by changing so soon. You should be able to do 3000 miles minimum. Instead of just dumping the oil, pull an oil analysis. But make sure you use an ISO 17025 A2LA Accredited Lab. They utilize the strictest standards and the results are duplicatable.

Although Motul is a good oil, a full Ester Based oil can have it's own share of problems with seal compatability.

Doc

vicbdn Jul 29, 2008 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Oil Doc (Post 5944275)
EP (Extended Performance) is a PAO Based oil where the others are Hydro-Cracked Group III Products at best.

Many don'r realize that "Mobil 1" is a company, not a product...

Just like AMSOIL where they have the most complete line of Synthetics in the World including the Best Filtration on the Planet.

Check your engine for sludge buildup. Good place to check is bottom of oil cap and inside with a flashlight...

No buildup, you are ready to change...

Thanks, guess for the longest time i thought the only distinctions were between weight and as long as you were using synthetic it was fine. Is it possible for oil to increase HP as that biased youtube video shows?

Oil Doc Jul 29, 2008 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by vicbdn (Post 5944526)
Thanks, guess for the longest time i thought the only distinctions were between weight and as long as you were using synthetic it was fine. Is it possible for oil to increase HP as that biased youtube video shows?

Yes, it is more than possible, it is fact and AMSOIL has proven it for 35 years.

Where my problem lies with the youtube video is that they conveniently cover the label of the competitor. They are also testing different viscosity oils. Sounds just like they took their marketing practices from the Royal Purple Pages... "Against Leading Synthetics" what a crock...

AMSOIL Names their competition right on the bottles, cases and in print. If what they said was false, there would be lawsuit after lawsuit filed.

Also.... Fine, it increases HP.. what about wear ? Shear Stability ? Let's see ASTM Tests... That is what I would like.

Doc

Oil Doc Jul 29, 2008 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by ikuto (Post 5944385)
Oil Doc,

I just changed to some German Castrol 0w-30 Syntec because it's got nothing but good reviews from oil analysis reports and people that has been using it over the years. These were on sale for $20 for 5 Quarts and I stocked up on it. I've been wanting to try some Amsoil 0w-30 for some time, but seems like I have to get in on the Amsoil membership to get a better price for them.

What is your take on the German Castrol 0w-30 oil?

Thanks!

The jury is out on the GC... Some say it is PAO Based, other sources say Hydro-Cracked... Same as the ENEOS oil... Would like to see ASTM Testing even if just wear and shear stability.

You don't have to buy a membership to get the best prices from AMSOIL, you just need the right contact that will sell Forum Members at Dealer Cost.

Doc

M3EvoBR Jul 29, 2008 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Oil Doc (Post 5944422)
Probably a waste with that oil by changing so soon. You should be able to do 3000 miles minimum. Instead of just dumping the oil, pull an oil analysis. But make sure you use an ISO 17025 A2LA Accredited Lab. They utilize the strictest standards and the results are duplicatable.

Although Motul is a good oil, a full Ester Based oil can have it's own share of problems with seal compatability.

Doc

Thanks Doc, but I really don't know any lab that can do this kind of analysis here in Brazil.:crap:

So I always go for the safe side... Fear of gas contamination.

Oil Doc Jul 29, 2008 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR (Post 5945791)
Thanks Doc, but I really don't know any lab that can do this kind of analysis here in Brazil.:crap:

So I always go for the safe side... Fear of gas contamination.

I will agree, better safe than sorry, but there should be a Lab somewhere as they are used quite extensively throughout the World for Industrial Applications.

Try doing an online search.. the cost of a couple of UOA's could be worth it to see where a Drain Interval could be..

If you do find one and are able to get it done, up to 2% fuel dillution is acceptable..

Doc

M3EvoBR Jul 29, 2008 04:41 PM

I'll do that ASAP, thanks again for your time

ElectricBlueIX Jul 29, 2008 04:51 PM

My theory with oil has always been that you run thicker oil in turbo charged vehicles. Your engine is going to rev faster because the oil is so thin it doesn't take as much energy for the motor to make a revolution. I'm not saying those oils aren't any good but I've always used 5w-50 in my dsm's and now I use it in my Evo and love it. Smoother and quieter running engine in my experience. I didn't like the way it sounded with Mobil 1 10w-30.

Oil Doc Jul 29, 2008 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by ElectricBlueIX (Post 5946185)
My theory with oil has always been that you run thicker oil in turbo charged vehicles. Your engine is going to rev faster because the oil is so thin it doesn't take as much energy for the motor to make a revolution. I'm not saying those oils aren't any good but I've always used 5w-50 in my dsm's and now I use it in my Evo and love it. Smoother and quieter running engine in my experience. I didn't like the way it sounded with Mobil 1 10w-30.

You have to be careful with that... You can be so thick that you are shotening the life of the turbo due to oil starvation. Also, these engines are designed with tight tolerances and when you are trying to push a heavier oil through them, it is causing a loss of HP.

Right now in most EVO's, I would recommend AMSOIL's new Dominator 10W-30 Racing Oil. It is developed for tight tolerance, high revving engines.

Doc

JC evo1 Jul 29, 2008 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Oil Doc (Post 5946564)
You have to be careful with that... You can be so thick that you are shotening the life of the turbo due to oil starvation. Also, these engines are designed with tight tolerances and when you are trying to push a heavier oil through them, it is causing a loss of HP.

Right now in most EVO's, I would recommend AMSOIL's new Dominator 10W-30 Racing Oil. It is developed for tight tolerance, high revving engines.

Doc

why dont they have a 10w 40?

rcheung Jul 29, 2008 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Oil Doc (Post 5946564)

Doc

Should this oil be used only for racing or is it ok as for daily driving? Also will oil change intervals remain the same as the SSO and ATM?

codean Jul 29, 2008 08:39 PM

What makes the "Dominator" oil better or different then the standard XL synthetic?

Oil Doc Jul 30, 2008 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by JC evo1 (Post 5946828)
why dont they have a 10w 40?

Don't need it... 10W-30 and 15W50 in the Dominator Series These are Race Proven oils that are being released to the public. The 5W-20 is meant as a qualifying oil and used extensively by NASCAR.

Originally Posted by rcheung (Post 5946876)
Should this oil be used only for racing or is it ok as for daily driving? Also will oil change intervals remain the same as the SSO and ATM?

The Dominator Series is a Racing Oil but can be used in a Street Driven Vehicle. It is not recommended for Extended Drains without the use of Oil Analysis which should be done by a ISO Certified Lab. Of course, Max Drain Intervals on the EVO are 5000 with any oil, AMSOIL or otherwise unless UOA is performed.

Originally Posted by codean (Post 5946996)
What makes the "Dominator" oil better or different then the standard XL synthetic?

XL Products are not even our "Standard" oil, they are a HydroIsomerized Product, not 100% Synthetic.

AMSOIL's Pro Race teams tested these oils last year and had Zero Engine Failures and the engines exhibited less wear than normal.

The Dominator is Formulated with Specific Friction Modifiers for less drag and designed to hold up against Shear in Racing an Turbo Charged applications.

Most EVO's will use the 30 wgt Dominator, Product code RD30

Doc

8thWonder Jul 30, 2008 08:21 AM

The Dominator series is the oil that will be released on 8/1, right?

Oil Doc Jul 30, 2008 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by 8thWonder (Post 5948262)
The Dominator series is the oil that will be released on 8/1, right?

It is in all warehouses and available today, before the price increase on Friday.

Doc

dafoe69 Jul 30, 2008 03:38 PM

Is the Dominator oil better than the SSO 0 w30?

Oil Doc Jul 30, 2008 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by dafoe69 (Post 5950341)
Is the Dominator oil better than the SSO 0 w30?

Different oils for different applications....

SSO is an excellent oil for a Daily Driver and even occasional track use.

The Dominator is formulated for severe driving and racing conditions and has unique Friction Modifiers.

The SSO is a little better for cold weather starting, but there should be no problems with the Dominator oil to well below 0 degree F temps as it pours to less than -40

The Dominator is not formulated for extended drain intervals with a TBN of 8, as the SSO is with a TBN of 13.2, but should be capable of the max EVO recommended change of 5000 if the AMSOIL EAO Filter is used with no problem.

Of course, just as with ANY oil, Highly Modified and tracked engines will need to be changed by experience or better yet UOA by a ISO Certified Lab. Which, by the way, the 3 labs we use are all ISO 9001-2000 Certified.

Doc

EvoDan2004 Jul 30, 2008 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Oil Doc (Post 5950513)

The Dominator is formulated for severe driving and racing conditions and has unique Friction Modifiers.

The SSO is a little better for cold weather starting, but there should be no problems with the Dominator oil to well below 0 degree F temps as it pours to less than -40

The Dominator is not formulated for extended drain intervals with a TBN of 8, as the SSO is with a TBN of 13.2, but should be capable of the max EVO recommended change of 5000 if the AMSOIL EAO Filter is used with no problem.

Of course, just as with ANY oil, Highly Modified and tracked engines will need to be changed by experience or better yet UOA by a ISO Certified Lab. Which, by the way, the 3 labs we use are all ISO 9001-2000 Certified.

Doc

how much is the Dominator oil..... and can it be used with the wix filters instead of the EAO filter u said?

Oil Doc Jul 30, 2008 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by evodan2004 (Post 5950524)
how much is the Dominator oil..... and can it be used with the wix filters instead of the EAO filter u said?

Dominator is only available in qts right now and is 20 cents less per case of 12 (Dealer Cost) than SSO.

You can use the WIX or any filter of choice, not sure why you would want to, but I would not go further than 3000 street miles without Analysis using another filter.

The AMSOIL EA Series Filters are a 15 Micron Absolute filter, The Best you can buy, no other filter comes close.

Oil is the Life Blood of your car, the filter is the Kidney for that blood.

Doc

rush63 Jul 30, 2008 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Oil Doc (Post 5950600)
Dominator is only available in qts right now and is 20 cents less per case of 12 (Dealer Cost) than SSO.

You can use the WIX or any filter of choice, not sure why you would want to, but I would not go further than 3000 street miles without Analysis using another filter.

The AMSOIL EA Series Filters are a 15 Micron Absolute filter, The Best you can buy, no other filter comes close.

Oil is the Life Blood of your car, the filter is the Kidney for that blood.

Doc

Sent you a PM.

JC evo1 Jul 30, 2008 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Oil Doc (Post 5950513)

Doc

can you give me an idea on the levels (ppm) of zddp, phos and moly?

huevosrancheros Jul 30, 2008 07:12 PM

NOT ANOTHER OIL THREAD, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just use Mobil1. Its great stuff,
regardless what the butt dyno tells you. Perception is a huge thing when it comes to questioning certain oils.

Oil Doc Jul 31, 2008 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by JC evo1 (Post 5950867)
can you give me an idea on the levels (ppm) of zddp, phos and moly?

ZDDP is 1575 ppm

Phos is 1424 ppm

Doc

Oil Doc Jul 31, 2008 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by huevosrancheros (Post 5951126)
NOT ANOTHER OIL THREAD, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just use Mobil1. Its great stuff,
regardless what the butt dyno tells you. Perception is a huge thing when it comes to questioning certain oils.

So, which Mobil 1 would you use ?

Personally, I don't work off of perception, I like to use as much published test Data and/or personal test Data as possible.

Doc

codean Jul 31, 2008 09:29 AM

With the amsoil EA Series Filters, wouldn't there be issues with getting clogged up too fast and then just bypassing?

It's going to take more pressure to push through a filter that is trying to catch every micron, unless its physicaly bigger then a normal evo oil filter for added flow. From what it looks like on the website, they seem to be a bit taller, but who knows what apps are being shown.

Got any evidence that these "EA" filters flow better?

Oil Doc Jul 31, 2008 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by codean (Post 5953367)
With the amsoil EA Series Filters, wouldn't there be issues with getting clogged up too fast and then just bypassing?

It's going to take more pressure to push through a filter that is trying to catch every micron, unless its physicaly bigger then a normal evo oil filter for added flow. From what it looks like on the website, they seem to be a bit taller, but who knows what apps are being shown.

Got any evidence that these "EA" filters flow better?

The flow rate of the EA Series is the same as on the WIX... I held off promoting the EA Series Filter until my Filter Mgr checked it out and OK'd this and also discussed this with my former DSM Tech that I use.

The reason the EA Series flows so well while filtering so good is because of the Nano-Fibers. I will try to give you a visual here.. Please bear with me....

If you had a row of pencils and pulled every other one out you have X amount of space for oil to flow through.... Now, imagine if it were a needle covering the same sq. inches, and you pulled every other one out. You have a smaller space (Micron) but actually have as much or more flow because the smaller fibers do not block the path..

The media was developed and Patented by Donaldson for use in Desert Storm, especially the M-1 Tank. AMSOIL and Donaldson got together a few years ago for just truck oil filters. One of these was the ever popular Cummins which is used in the Dodge trucks, Motor Homes, Ford Box trucks, Boats, Fork Lifts and other applications. Donaldson was impressed with the AMSOIL marketing as we sold more Cummins filers in one year, than they ever had. After that, Donaldson and AMSOIL Partnered together and AMSOIL is the Only company to have the Media from Donaldson in Auto, Light Truck and MotorCycle applications.

The filters are conservatively rated by AMSOIL at 15 Micron and in actual testing, are less.

Doc

fostytou Jul 31, 2008 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Oil Doc (Post 5954613)
The flow rate of the EA Series is the same as on the WIX... I held off promoting the EA Series Filter until my Filter Mgr checked it out and OK'd this and also discussed this with my former DSM Tech that I use.

The reason the EA Series flows so well while filtering so good is because of the Nano-Fibers. I will try to give you a visual here.. Please bear with me....

If you had a row of pencils and pulled every other one out you have X amount of space for oil to flow through.... Now, imagine if it were a needle covering the same sq. inches, and you pulled every other one out. You have a smaller space (Micron) but actually have as much or more flow because the smaller fibers do not block the path..

Theres a diagram on the amsoil site:

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eao.aspx

http://www.amsoil.com/graphs/eao/cel...cing_270px.jpg
http://www.amsoil.com/graphs/eao/syn...cing_270px.jpg

JC evo1 Jul 31, 2008 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Oil Doc (Post 5952832)
ZDDP is 1575 ppm

Phos is 1424 ppm

Doc

so no moly in this oil?

Oil Doc Jul 31, 2008 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by JC evo1 (Post 5955891)
so no moly in this oil?

I am sure there is, but with it being a new product, I just couldn't find it fast enough with trying to take care of orders....

I will try and research it more.

Doc

Oil Doc Jul 31, 2008 10:22 PM

That is what I was describing, I just never took the time to learn how to post pics here...

Thanks for the help.

Doc

kazchoo Sep 13, 2008 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Oil Doc (Post 5945201)
The jury is out on the GC... Some say it is PAO Based, other sources say Hydro-Cracked... Same as the ENEOS oil... Would like to see ASTM Testing even if just wear and shear stability.

You don't have to buy a membership to get the best prices from AMSOIL, you just need the right contact that will sell Forum Members at Dealer Cost.

Doc

Doc, I'm interested in getting some AMSOIL. I've just PM'd u. :)

houdini_678 Dec 16, 2010 11:30 PM

Any idea which one of these would best suit a XI with a 2.3 stroker?

EvolutionKid Dec 17, 2010 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Oil Doc (Post 5956765)

Doc

Anyone know why the Doc got the boot?