EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Eneos vs Amsoil (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/328239-eneos-vs-amsoil.html)

TougeTuned00 Feb 26, 2008 05:18 PM

Eneos vs Amsoil

Im currently running Eneos 0w-50 in my bpu evo and im looking to try something different ive been looking at the Amsoil 0w-30 signature series oil and am thinking about trying that next. Just looking to get some opinions from everybody to see what you think of either one and which one you liked better if you have used it. thanks in advance.

EvoDan2004 Feb 26, 2008 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by TougeTuned00 (Post 5335659)
Im currently running Eneos 0w-50 in my bpu evo and im looking to try something different ive been looking at the Amsoil 0w-30 signature series oil and am thinking about trying that next. Just looking to get some opinions from everybody to see what you think of either one and which one you liked better if you have used it. thanks in advance.

hey. im from hopatcong too.

EvoDan2004 Feb 26, 2008 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by TougeTuned00 (Post 5335659)

o yea. about the oil. i have no clue. i run mobile 1 10-30 and im swapping to amsoil 10-30

Keith-PURE Tuning Feb 26, 2008 05:27 PM

Stay with the ENEOS! It's the best stuff currently available.

subaruwrx420 Feb 26, 2008 06:49 PM

I had an oil analysis done on my Eneos oil through Blackstone Labs, but I don't remember how to convert a .PDF to an image so that I can upload the results. I also did TBN test to see if the oil looses viscosity quickly as some has suggested.

Any tips would be helpful...thanks.

kouzman Feb 26, 2008 06:53 PM

I ran the Mobil1 10w30, ran the Redline 10w30 and now i am running the AMSOIL Sig series 0W30...

I am sticking with AMSOIL, The car idles better, revs faster, comes into temp faster, the engine is more quite...

I am sticking with Amsoil...

Chris@nolimitmotors Feb 26, 2008 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Keith-PURE Tuning (Post 5335715)
Stay with the ENEOS! It's the best stuff currently available.

++++++++++++++1

evolved83 Feb 27, 2008 10:20 AM

For you guys saying the eneos oil is "the best", please give us some details as to why it is the best.

I am currently running the amsoil 0w-30, it definately revs faster, but I did notice it was burning a little bit. Could be just my eyes, so I will have to check again as I was kinda surprised.

1badgsex Feb 27, 2008 03:37 PM

eneos is the $h*t love it theres a guy on here ran his car on the dyno with mobill 1 drained it put in eneos dynoed and made 8whp, i dont remember where the thread is though. I run eneos now and love it also they say u dont have to change it till 10,000 miles lol but i change mine very 3,000 just tell u guys what i read and heard

subaruwrx420 Feb 28, 2008 05:55 AM

Bump, my oil analysis said that everything was fine with the oil but they found 2.3% fuel in the oil. The highest range on their scale is 2%, so they say it's a little high. The TBN number was 4, which is a bit low but not too much...they suggest the cause of the lower than normal TBN may be associated with the higher than normal percentage of fuel found in the oil.

I'm going to do another oil analysis next time I change the oil since this will be only the second time I'm running Eneos. Before that I ran stock Mobil for three oil changes, then Royal Purple for two oil changes, and now Eneos.

Apparently, the oil does not loose it's effectiveness after 1000 or so miles as some have suggested.

Exciting News Feb 28, 2008 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by subaruwrx420 (Post 5342132)
Bump, my oil analysis said that everything was fine with the oil but they found 2.3% fuel in the oil.

I always thought turbocharged applications experience greater fuel saturation than their NA counterparts. I don't know the conditions of your vehicle or mileage at which you drained, but given your percentage was "off the charts" I wonder how much of a risk that is. What is a TBN number?

CandCPerformanc Feb 28, 2008 08:24 AM

most oil testing companies use the term tbn (total base number) usually used in referance to the retention of the detergents to keep your engine clean and the antioxidant numbers to stop corrosion inside the engine. Most oil testing labs will give you a full break down with everying that your oild contained including what types of metals found and what chemicals and why those metals or chemicals are there.

srt2evo Feb 28, 2008 10:42 AM

^^What he said.

EvoPooPoo Feb 28, 2008 10:48 AM

ENEOS 0-50w is good stuff.

I have yet to try it, but planning to try it this year.
I've been running Royal Purple, haven't had any issues.

Here's a vid of the ENEOS oil testing... the silver bottle looks like Mobile 1...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb1YzGcEUCI

SWOLN Feb 28, 2008 01:23 PM

TBN is the amount of active ingredients currently in the oil, as the oil goes through it cycles, heat, fuel saturation, ect.. it loses the active ingredients, making the oil less effective.

Fuel saturation plays a huge part in oil effectiveness, if the oil can not off gas the fuel then the flash point of the oil goes down, as it goes down, the fuel burns easier. This is where you'll here some people complain about burning oil. because it is burning actually It usually follows with a higher than normal fule smell in the oil. If you are raly interested in oils go to www.bobistheoilguy.com

Billy@EnglishRacing Feb 28, 2008 01:38 PM

amsoil 10-30 ftw

SWOLN Feb 28, 2008 02:49 PM

double post

dbsears Feb 28, 2008 03:00 PM

So is it pretty common to have the oil have a gasoline smell to in the IX's. I run the 10w-30 amsoil and after about 1500miles it does smell like gas a bit. Doesn't seem to be really burning though.

BBYBruno Feb 28, 2008 04:20 PM

Just got Eneos put in today. Everything feels great.

Mitchubishievo Feb 28, 2008 08:33 PM

I'm actually going to be trying this oil this coming monday. I used Amsoil for 28K miles on my last car, and I'm a pretty die hard fan of how well it ran, so time to try this new stuff.

max2evoix Feb 28, 2008 08:37 PM

redline all the way{thumbup}

SSP-Ralliart Feb 28, 2008 08:45 PM

I really don't know anything about the Eneos. The amsoil 0w-30 Sign. Series is one of the best oils out there and has been tested as so against many name brands esspecially Royal Purple, Mobil, and Red Line. I am a Amsoil dealer but unless you can prove to me that it is better i won't believe you. Other oils claim to be but the only true synthetic that i know of 100% synthetic is Amsoil. I have ran it in my 700+ WTRQ 68 camaro for 30k and bearings look like new. I am not saying that Eneos isn't a 100% synthetic product but you have to prove it works as good as the label says....jusy my opinion.....

Davo Feb 29, 2008 05:43 AM

the oil would burn off a little
i run the 10w-40 amsoil and it works very well

SixOneNine Feb 29, 2008 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by dbsears87 (Post 5344443)
So is it pretty common to have the oil have a gasoline smell to in the IX's. I run the 10w-30 amsoil and after about 1500miles it does smell like gas a bit. Doesn't seem to be really burning though.

I'd like to know this as well.

SWOLN Feb 29, 2008 07:50 AM

Most turbocharged vehicles have fuel saturated oil. Some oils control it better than others.

1badgsex Feb 29, 2008 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by SSP-Ralliart (Post 5345795)
I really don't know anything about the Eneos. The amsoil 0w-30 Sign. Series is one of the best oils out there and has been tested as so against many name brands esspecially Royal Purple, Mobil, and Red Line. I am a Amsoil dealer but unless you can prove to me that it is better i won't believe you. Other oils claim to be but the only true synthetic that i know of 100% synthetic is Amsoil. I have ran it in my 700+ WTRQ 68 camaro for 30k and bearings look like new. I am not saying that Eneos isn't a 100% synthetic product but you have to prove it works as good as the label says....jusy my opinion.....

did u not watch the video on the 1st page??????????

SSP-Ralliart Feb 29, 2008 05:38 PM

Yes i did watch the vid.....doesn't say much of anything.....Amsoil isn't the leading selling synthetic.....plus they said 10w40 if my memory serves me right....amsoil TOP synthetic is their 0W30 Sig Series. Seems to me that they didn't use Amsoil against the Eneos. For some reason they didn't say who it was or I just didn't catch that part.... Anyways I want to see Dyno with Amsoil vs Eneos plus data analysis on the Enoes product.....Seems like a decent product but still no proof on how good it is on your engine.....

mrfred Feb 29, 2008 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by SSP-Ralliart (Post 5349382)
Yes i did watch the vid.....doesn't say much of anything.....Amsoil isn't the leading selling synthetic.....plus they said 10w40 if my memory serves me right....amsoil TOP synthetic is their 0W30 Sig Series. Seems to me that they didn't use Amsoil against the Eneos. For some reason they didn't say who it was or I just didn't catch that part.... Anyways I want to see Dyno with Amsoil vs Eneos plus data analysis on the Enoes product.....Seems like a decent product but still no proof on how good it is on your engine.....

+1. I'd want to see a comparison that includes oil analysis data and does not hide the name of the other oils in the test.

dbsears Feb 29, 2008 07:14 PM

So since the Evo saturates the oil more with gas should it be changed more. I run 10w-30 ATM amsoil btw. Also wondering if maybe a better oil filter would help. Starting to have my doubts running the OEM one. Anybody ever test the OEM filter vs WIX?

evo9 ate u Mar 1, 2008 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by dbsears87 (Post 5349661)
So since the Evo saturates the oil more with gas should it be changed more. I run 10w-30 ATM amsoil btw. Also wondering if maybe a better oil filter would help. Starting to have my doubts running the OEM one. Anybody ever test the OEM filter vs WIX?

^^^ what he said i also wanna know if a different oil filter is different instead the oem one

SWOLN Mar 1, 2008 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by dbsears87 (Post 5349661)

I'm sorry if I am a little lazy, but there are some oils out that will control the fuel saturation better than others. I'm not sure about the name, but I think BioSynHD was one of them, which interestingly enough was formulated, to combat the RS4's engines from eating itself to death, through Terry Dyson, a specialized oil analysis guy/company. Terry Dysons' name seems to run in the same cirlce as Blackstone Oil Analysis. Aside from that, one should really do more research on their own, on this subject, and don't take any one persons or companies product/word as gossiple, not even mine. Seriously, go learn for youself, if its important enough to you that is... I said earlier that www.bobistheoilguy.com is a great forum to learn about oils and additives. I hope that I helped.

SSP-Ralliart Mar 1, 2008 12:56 PM

The WIX filters are a great filter..i usually perfer using the EA Amsoil filters with the Amsoil products.....lasts as long as the oil.....

Oil Doc Mar 7, 2008 06:25 PM

I usually recommend the WIX filter over the AMSOIL filter, as most EVO owners either run them hard on the Street, or Track their cars frequently, and the WIX filter will have less of a chance of going into by-pass.

I am working up some 1 Micron Filter Kits to help keep the oil analytically clean and not going into bypass, plus adding HP due to less restriction.

If anyone is interested, before I put too much time into this, let me know what you think @ oildoc@bestoil4you.com

On the subject of the Eneos Oil, I have had people say that they come up with lifter tick in that 2000-2500 mile range. My personal feeling is that they have to use too much VI Improver to have the broad Viscosity range, as their base stocks may not be able to carry it.

The AMSOIL 0W-30, Product Code SSO, is The Top of the Line with a TBN of over 13. TBN is the ability of the oil to Neutralize acidity, not it's detergency.

AMSOIL SSO is Highly Recommended for The EVO.

Doc

oildoc@bestoil4you.com

Toll Free Ordering 1-877-356-6099

Free 6 Month Prefered Customer Membership with Qualifying Orders

Mitchubishievo Mar 7, 2008 06:30 PM

I just put some of this stuff in my car...so far feels identicle to Amsoil on start up and drives the same smoothness. I'll be on the track in 6 weeks, and I'll report how the car feels then.

So far, so good.

SSP-Ralliart Mar 8, 2008 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Oil Doc (Post 5380108)
I usually recommend the WIX filter over the AMSOIL filter, as most EVO owners either run them hard on the Street, or Track their cars frequently, and the WIX filter will have less of a chance of going into by-pass.

I am working up some 1 Micron Filter Kits to help keep the oil analytically clean and not going into bypass, plus adding HP due to less restriction.

If anyone is interested, before I put too much time into this, let me know what you think @ oildoc@bestoil4you.com

On the subject of the Enous Oil, I have had people say that they come up with lifter tick in that 2000-2500 mile range. My personal feeling is that they have to use too much VI Improver to have the broad Viscosity range, as their base stocks may not be able to carry it.

The AMSOIL 0W-30, Product Code SSO, is The Top of the Line with a TBN of over 13. TBN is the ability of the oil to Neutralize acidity, not it's detergency.

AMSOIL SSO is Highly Recommended for The EVO.

Doc

oildoc@bestoil4you.com

Toll Free Ordering 1-877-356-6099

Free 6 Month Prefered Customer Membership with Qualifying Orders

I do agree with Oil Doc. SSO like i said earlier is one of the best products. I run SSO in my race car and never had a single problem.....{thumbup}

Oil Doc Mar 8, 2008 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by SSP-Ralliart (Post 5381893)
I do agree with Oil Doc. SSO like i said earlier is one of the best products. I run SSO in my race car and never had a single problem.....{thumbup}

Thanks.... What filters (air/oil) are you running ?

We also have air filters that are the cone style. They flow as well as a Wetted Gauze and Filter up to 50 times better... No messy washing and reoiling.. vacuum cleaner or light air pressure.

Doc

Mitchubishievo Mar 30, 2008 07:01 AM

Another update....Coming up to 1500 miles on the oil, and still no ticking or any issues. The car feels just as it did with Amsoil when I ran it. I've also done some very cold starts, clsoe to 0 degree temps outside, and the car started with no issues. So far, I'm really liking the Eneos 0w-50, but who knows....I may come back to Amsoil eventually :lol:.

Oil Doc Mar 30, 2008 07:40 AM

Too thick of an oil for a stock clearance engine.. Takes away HP, fuel mileage and increases oil temps.

Doc

nils Mar 30, 2008 07:48 AM

doc.. wassup with all these 'x oil brand' vs Amsoil' lately... ha ha

n

dbsears Mar 30, 2008 12:28 PM

People feel the need to try and prove something else is better :confused: Somebody is always trying to take down the top dawg. When you can buy Amsoil from Doc for only a tiny bit more than M1 from Wal Mart its a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Oil Doc Mar 30, 2008 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by nils (Post 5475076)
doc.. wassup with all these 'x oil brand' vs Amsoil' lately... ha ha

n

The post after yours says exactly what I have said many times... When you are Top Dog.... Someone is always trying to knock you off...

Doc Seller of the Top Dog

Oil Doc Mar 30, 2008 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by dbsears87 (Post 5475749)
People feel the need to try and prove something else is better :confused: Somebody is always trying to take down the top dawg. When you can buy Amsoil from Doc for only a tiny bit more than M1 from Wal Mart its a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Thank you for your vote of confidence..

Doc

NewEvolutionIX Mar 30, 2008 03:59 PM

Hey Doc what is your price for the oil and a oil filter. I might just give it a try next oil change! Im using Moble 1 now. PM me

Oil Doc Mar 30, 2008 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Toddevo 8 (Post 5476303)
hey guys, I like the schaeffers oil, it is the only oil with polyalphaolefin

Talk about a BOLD FACE LIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to see the following ASTM Tests for Shaeffers....

D-4742
D-4683
D-5800
D-97
D-4172
D-5293
D-2896

I would also just Love to see ANY Documentation from "Shaeffers" Stating that fact. Which I know is absolutely impossible as it is nothing more than a Fabrication (LIE) on your part.

Doc

Oil Doc Mar 30, 2008 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by NewEvolutionIX (Post 5476405)
Hey Doc what is your price for the oil and a oil filter. I might just give it a try next oil change! Im using Moble 1 now. PM me

Thank you,

You should have your PM already

Doc

NewEvolutionIX Mar 30, 2008 05:27 PM

Yep Thanks Ill let you know when its time to do the oil change!

Oil Doc Mar 30, 2008 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by NewEvolutionIX (Post 5476773)
Yep Thanks Ill let you know when its time to do the oil change!

Thanks !!!

Those prices are only good until the end of April....

Just want you to keep that in the back of your mind.

Doc

Toddevo 8 Mar 31, 2008 11:12 AM

what is a blod face lie?? oil doc??

Oil Doc Mar 31, 2008 01:43 PM

Shaeffers is NOT the only oil with PAO....

Also, in one of your posts, you made it sound as Shaeffers invented PAO's..

At least post the truth.

Doc

Toddevo 8 Mar 31, 2008 02:03 PM

no I never said that they invented pao, and as for the other post I want to say that one of only a few made with pao. my mistake.
so you have never made a mistake before??

Oil Doc Mar 31, 2008 02:45 PM

Yes, I have made mistakes..... That seems like a little stretch....

I think this is done...

Doc

Mitchubishievo Mar 31, 2008 03:08 PM

1,500 miles on the Eneos and still feels good...

ElToro Mar 31, 2008 03:38 PM

Hey Doc, sent you a pm about ordering some oils from you.

zwickyc Apr 4, 2008 03:11 PM

I will be doing some dyno tests in the next three weeks comparing Eneos 0w50 vs. Amsoil 0w30 SSO in a mx5 being prepped for the Playboy cup. We plan to used Mobil 1 as a base before each run to try to ensure no cross contamination between the Eneos and the Amsoil. Each time the car will be brought up to temp and then have 3 consecutive pulls to get an average. Hopefully this will answer some questions I have and actually see if we develop lifter tick at 2000 to 2500 rpm like Oildoc has heard. If you have any other suggestions to ensure accurate results, let me know.

Oil Doc Apr 4, 2008 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by zwickyc (Post 5500297)
I will be doing some dyno tests in the next three weeks comparing Eneos 0w50 vs. Amsoil 0w30 SSO in a mx5 being prepped for the Playboy cup. We plan to used Mobil 1 as a base before each run to try to ensure no cross contamination between the Eneos and the Amsoil. Each time the car will be brought up to temp and then have 3 consecutive pulls to get an average. Hopefully this will answer some questions I have and actually see if we develop lifter tick at 2000 to 2500 rpm like Oildoc has heard. If you have any other suggestions to ensure accurate results, let me know.

Now remember, I am only repeating what has been posted on forums as far as the Eneos.

Would be nice if Eneos would let loose of a Technical Data Bulletin, Along with other oil companies.. That is where we can find some facts out about the oil, but that is just what they don't want.

Let me know if I can help you with the SSO

Doc

Randy Apr 6, 2008 03:06 PM

I think IMHO simply that any Fully Syn Oil would make more power than the Mobil 1, because IMHO Mobil 1 is a POS.

Just my 2 cents

Oil Doc Apr 6, 2008 03:13 PM

Depends which Mobil 1 is used..... Mobil 1 EP is actually a Very Good Oil.

Corvette Fever Magazine had Vinci Performance do some testing with Mobil 1 PAO against AMSOIL and the results were 6 HP.

Doc

Randy Apr 6, 2008 03:19 PM

The stock oil is a POS in this weather specially for tracking the car, brand new oil same day, next day you pour it out like water and no consistency. The 15 w50 is even worse, and I change oil every event, before and after, I guess I spend too much money on oil *lol*. Doc I talked to the guys of the info you sent me, they hooked me up I will go there on Monday and I will become a dealer too :)

EVO8URV8 Apr 6, 2008 03:22 PM

Pretty cool video I found about Eneos

Also, how come Eneos wasn't tested against in this graph? :confused: Was the test somewhat old that Eneos didn't make it on the tests or they didn't wish to participate or they didn't get to include themselves cause they came up with better numbers than Amsoil.

Was just asking, not picking sides. {thumbup}

Oil Doc Apr 6, 2008 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Randy (Post 5506526)
The stock oil is a POS in this weather specially for tracking the car, brand new oil same day, next day you pour it out like water and no consistency. The 15 w50 is even worse, and I change oil every event, before and after, I guess I spend too much money on oil *lol*. Doc I talked to the guys of the info you sent me, they hooked me up I will go there on Monday and I will become a dealer too :)

Great Randy... I wish I could take car of people outside the US, unfortunately, US and Canada are it due to some contracts we have.

Doc

Oil Doc Apr 6, 2008 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by EVO8URV8 (Post 5506534)
Pretty cool video I found about Eneos

Also, how come Eneos wasn't tested against in this graph? :confused: Was the test somewhat old that Eneos didn't make it on the tests or they didn't wish to participate or they didn't get to include themselves cause they came up with better numbers than Amsoil.

Was just asking, not picking sides. {thumbup}

Not a Problem...

Many of the tests are performed by several of the Top Testing Facilities in the US.

If you notice, you will only see common Brands in the tests. This is due to the Shear Cost of the Tests for one and also based on popularity.. Eneos wasn't popular then and is still not that popular now.

Doc

EVO8URV8 Apr 6, 2008 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Oil Doc (Post 5506634)
Not a Problem...

Many of the tests are performed by several of the Top Testing Facilities in the US.

If you notice, you will only see common Brands in the tests. This is due to the Shear Cost of the Tests for one and also based on popularity.. Eneos wasn't popular then and is still not that popular now.

Doc

Thank u, Doc. Gotcha. {thumbup}

Dammit Cubs Apr 17, 2008 01:10 PM

is this for engine oil or transmission oil?

Oil Doc Apr 18, 2008 04:53 PM

Engine oil

Doc

Blitz Apr 23, 2008 08:11 AM

Would ENEOS 0w50 or 5w40 be better for a stock daily driven Evo?

shivaswrath Apr 23, 2008 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by inneedof (Post 5344080)
amsoil 10-30 ftw

same here, switched from Mobil1 recently, have noticed a quieter idle, that's it. . .not sure about the other "butt" dyno comparisons. . .

Oil Doc Apr 23, 2008 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Blitz (Post 5578402)
Would ENEOS 0w50 or 5w40 be better for a stock daily driven Evo?

The EVO calls for a 30 wgt.... 10W-30, 5W-30 or 0W-30... And requires Synthetic...

Although you can jump 1 grade with a synthetic, in a daily driver you are costing yourself HP and Fuel Mileage. Also, use of a heavier oil than recommended will cause higher oil temps.

So, if you are dead set on the Eneos oil, and those are your two choices, the 5W-40 will be better...

Personally, I think it is way over-priced for what it is.. If you are not going to use AMSOIL, buy Mobil 1 EP.... MAKE Sure it is the EP

Doc

gamebred26 Apr 23, 2008 10:46 AM

Is the extened performance a pure synthetic or just a better blend then reg mobile 1?

Oil Doc Apr 23, 2008 01:47 PM

By Law, it is "100%" Synthetic...... Which means it has to have a Minimum 30% PAO Base and then a percentage of Group III and so on...

AMSOIL Does not play in those games... When we say 100%, it is a PAO w/Esters as much as possible, except for the necessary additives.

Doc

Ph3n1x Apr 23, 2008 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Oil Doc (Post 5579123)
The EVO calls for a 30 wgt.... 10W-30, 5W-30 or 0W-30... And requires Synthetic...

Although you can jump 1 grade with a synthetic, in a daily driver you are costing yourself HP and Fuel Mileage. Also, use of a heavier oil than recommended will cause higher oil temps.

So, if you are dead set on the Eneos oil, and those are your two choices, the 5W-40 will be better...

Personally, I think it is way over-priced for what it is.. If you are not going to use AMSOIL, buy Mobil 1 EP.... MAKE Sure it is the EP

Doc

Which Mobil exactly are you talking about? Do you believe that is closer to being "100%"

Balrok Apr 23, 2008 03:18 PM

He's talkin bout the yellow and black labeled "extended performance" 10w30 you find in most places, states it's good for 15k with normal use, 7.5 with severe use. I just changed to 0w30 Amsoil SS0 and I love it {thumbup} 35 freakin k normal, 17.5 "severe" use...:eek: However i'll still change it regularly because of how often I track but so far it's been wonderful.

Ph3n1x Apr 23, 2008 03:21 PM

Yeah i've been diehard Mobil since day 1, but with this big turbo i think its time to reconsider that.

The only reason i asked which mobil, is cause i remember reading on that lable that its not recommended for turbo engines or something like that.

ohsobaked Apr 24, 2008 02:48 AM

im using oem oil filters from mitsu with mobil 1 on my stock 8....no problems?

Oil Doc Apr 24, 2008 02:57 AM

No Problems.... Just think of it like buying a Steak... Prime or USDA Choice... Both are good, one is just better....

If you are going to stay with Mobil 1, Make sure it is Mobil 1 EP...

Doc

meanmud Apr 24, 2008 05:09 AM

Just made the switch to AMSOIL 0W-30{thumbup}

AMSOIL for ALL of the cars!!!!

rush63 Apr 26, 2008 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Oil Doc (Post 5579123)

Doc

I'm currently using Mobil 1 EP and OEM oil filter on the Evo and change them every 1,900-2,000 miles (overkill?). Thinking of switching to Amsoil soon. My car has 6,6++ on it, driven 1-2 times a week and will be seeing some track days soon. Which of the Amsoil engine oils would you recommend given the situations above?

Oil Doc Apr 26, 2008 08:01 PM

If the bottom end is stock, I would recommend AMSOIL Product Code SSO 0W-30 and the WIX 57092 filter...

Call me by April 30th, 3 PM Eastern Time as there is a Freight Fuel Surcharge that will be added to all orders after that of 5%.

Doc

evovin Apr 26, 2008 10:04 PM

Oil DOC,
What oil do you recommend for a built 2.0 guessing 600whp w/37R?(<<future set up in a month) Its DD and 1x a month drag racing on the track.
I've been using mobil 1 not EP though.

Oil Doc Apr 27, 2008 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by evovin (Post 5593509)
Oil DOC,
What oil do you recommend for a built 2.0 guessing 600whp w/37R?(<<future set up in a month) Its DD and 1x a month drag racing on the track.
I've been using mobil 1 not EP though.

Stock bottom end ? AMSOIL SSO 0W-30...

Slightly opened up clearances ? AMSOIL AMO 10W-40

Doesn't sound like an all out loosened up engine with 600 HP or I would go to the TRO 20W-50.

Use of too heavy an oil can have it's own set of problems...Such as Lack of oil flow and heat build-up.

Doc

evovin Apr 27, 2008 10:58 AM

Im not sure about the weight...Do you have a chart for reference? Does lower weight means heavy or lighter?(sorry got confuse lol)

I have a drop in Wiseco Piston and Eagle H beams rods.

Oil Doc Apr 27, 2008 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by evovin (Post 5594586)
Im not sure about the weight...Do you have a chart for reference? Does lower weight means heavy or lighter?(sorry got confuse lol)

I have a drop in Wiseco Piston and Eagle H beams rods.

the lower the number, the lighter the oil.... 30 is lighter than 40 etc....

What weight Mobil are you running ? That will help right there....

If you are looking to order oil, we need to get together.... There will be a 5% Freight Fuel Surcharge as of May 1st...

Doc

WRX 2 EVO Apr 27, 2008 07:38 PM

Will be trying the eneos 0/50 soon.

Oil Doc Apr 28, 2008 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by WRX 2 EVO (Post 5596230)
Will be trying the eneos 0/50 soon.

If your engine has stock clearances, that is too heavy an oil. You could have oil starvation on start up, it will raise oil temps, lower HP and/or Less Fuel Mileage.

Doc

subaruwrx420 Jul 8, 2008 03:42 PM

I am posting the results of my oil analysis in an effort to continue the discussion about Eneos oil. I have been running the 0W50 for about 10,000 miles now. The resuts include my first and third oil changes...I am currently on the fourth and will need to switch weights and as a result brands for my first NYC winter.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b6...alysis4K_1.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b6...alysis4K_2.jpg

Oil Doc Jul 8, 2008 04:14 PM

Not a bad analysis, but just about ready to drop out of grade to a 40. Flash point is already out of Spec.

Not sure why you would run a 50 to start with, but regardless, there is no need to change oils to a different Viscosity, it is a 0 weight and as low as the scale goes...

I just got the UOA back for my Bike. Air cooled V-Twin, very hard on oil. Have had the oil temps over 270 F several times. With 9547 miles on the oil the only problems I saw were due to the K&N Air Filter. Although not Critical, the wear metals were elevated and a high Silicon count.

Doc

JC evo1 Jul 8, 2008 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Oil Doc (Post 5864856)
Not a bad analysis, but just about ready to drop out of grade to a 40. Flash point is already out of Spec.

Doc

what does flashpoint mean?

mrfred Jul 8, 2008 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by JC evo1 (Post 5866023)
what does flashpoint mean?

The temperature where it catches fire.

Ivan@AMS Jul 8, 2008 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by mrfred (Post 5866106)
The temperature where it catches fire.

Actually.. not exactly..

The flash point of a flammable liquid is the lowest temperature at which it can form an ignitable mixture in air. At this temperature the vapor may cease to burn when the source of ignition is removed. A slightly higher temperature, the fire point, is defined as the temperature at which the vapor continues to burn after being ignited.

subaruwrx420 Jul 9, 2008 06:07 AM

According to the test the flashpoint should be <390 but my result was 375, so I don't see how that is out of spec?

Also what people's thoughts about the increase in lead? Is one my bearings about to go...the car is not abused beyond the ocassional WOT here and there.

JC evo1 Jul 9, 2008 07:24 AM

it should be higher than 390 dont u think.

subaruwrx420 Jul 9, 2008 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by JC evo1 (Post 5867071)
it should be higher than 390 dont u think.

You're right, I just noticed that it is >390 not <390...my bad. Interestingly, the oil that was in the car for ~2800 miles a lower flashpoint than the oil that had ~4000 miles on it.

JC evo1 Jul 9, 2008 10:37 PM

looks like you had a bit of fuel dilution on the oil that was in for -2800 miles, would that lower the flashpoint?

Sharkbite2000 Jul 9, 2008 10:41 PM

I'm running Amsoil for a bit now , was gonna try Eneos on next oil change.

projectpsi Jul 28, 2008 12:31 PM

FYI Another EVO ENEOS test found on youtube. This is EVOX tho but eneos related.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_hgc54pxKc

vicbdn Jul 28, 2008 01:03 PM

What would be the side effects of using normal mobil 1 10w30 for the past 50k miles compared to whatever better oils you guys are mentioning? =p...

Oil Doc Jul 28, 2008 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by projectpsi (Post 5940264)
FYI Another EVO ENEOS test found on youtube. This is EVOX tho but eneos related.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmDRXmKk9m8

OK..... They don't even use oils that are Apple to Apple.. You can't compare a 20W-50 to a 0W-50 ...

I also love "A Leading Japanese Synthetic" compared to ENEOS... which IS The Leading Japanese Synthetic and may be the only Japanese Synthetic... The other oil was most likely a Hydro-Cracked oil... Again... Not an Apple to Apple comparison, so now, we have 2 things against an ENEOS Sponsored Film Clip..

Doc

Oil Doc Jul 28, 2008 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by vicbdn (Post 5940395)
What would be the side effects of using normal mobil 1 10w30 for the past 50k miles compared to whatever better oils you guys are mentioning? =p...

If you are using Mobil 1 EP, you are using a good oil... AMSOIL is probably the only oil to outperform it..

Doc

vicbdn Jul 28, 2008 08:10 PM

Havent been using EP. Just the normal 10w30 synthetic. Always thought the EP was a gimmick but apparently not. Why is normal 10w30 not good oil?

M3EvoBR Jul 28, 2008 08:30 PM

I'm using Motul 6100 - 15W50

For my first two changes, as my engine only has 2000 km.
for now on I will use Motul 300V, I never leave an oil for more than 1000 KM.

Oil Doc Jul 29, 2008 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by vicbdn (Post 5942295)
Havent been using EP. Just the normal 10w30 synthetic. Always thought the EP was a gimmick but apparently not. Why is normal 10w30 not good oil?

EP (Extended Performance) is a PAO Based oil where the others are Hydro-Cracked Group III Products at best.

Many don'r realize that "Mobil 1" is a company, not a product...

Just like AMSOIL where they have the most complete line of Synthetics in the World including the Best Filtration on the Planet.

Check your engine for sludge buildup. Good place to check is bottom of oil cap and inside with a flashlight...

No buildup, you are ready to change...

Doc