EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Buschur Racing baffled oil pans and other oil control. (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/514717-buschur-racing-baffled-oil-pans-other-oil-control.html)

3gEclipseTurbo Sep 17, 2010 06:00 PM

nvm.

grahamab Sep 17, 2010 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by davidbuschur (Post 8678003)
If you have to question (this is not me being an *******) if putting baffles around the pick up or scaping the oil off the crank and rods is a good idea, then please, don't post and just move along, this is NOT for you then.

I'll assume this is directed at me since I'm the only one who has expressed interest in proof of its effectiveness.

No one has questioned if it's a good idea to add baffling to improve oil pick-up, but some people like more than good intentions and best wishes to know if a part actually works as advertised. You normally do a really good job of proving that your parts work (typically by showing that they make power, improve trap speed, etc) and I think that's exactly what should be done, but in this case you haven't shown anything to prove that your new pan is actually effective in doing what you claim it will. It may very well perform exactly as advertised, but I'm guessing the guy's running 285 R-comps would like to know for sure.

You can tell people all you want not to post, move on, or whatever you'd like, but I'm happy to be an ass and ask for meaningful data. If you don't have it at this point, that's fine; I'm just a big fan of the scientific method.

SWOLN Sep 18, 2010 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by grahamab (Post 8679066)
I'll assume this is directed at me since I'm the only one who has expressed interest in proof of its effectiveness.

No one has questioned if it's a good idea to add baffling to improve oil pick-up, but some people like more than good intentions and best wishes to know if a part actually works as advertised. You normally do a really good job of proving that your parts work (typically by showing that they make power, improve trap speed, etc) and I think that's exactly what should be done, but in this case you haven't shown anything to prove that your new pan is actually effective in doing what you claim it will. It may very well perform exactly as advertised, but I'm guessing the guy's running 285 R-comps would like to know for sure.

You can tell people all you want not to post, move on, or whatever you'd like, but I'm happy to be an ass and ask for meaningful data. If you don't have it at this point, that's fine; I'm just a big fan of the scientific method.

Hmm, I questioned it too, but I see what Dave is saying, and he shouldn't have to spoon feed every ounce of information to prove it works. Although, it seems that way sometimes.

If I perceive the design correctly, a deaf, dumb, and blind guy could understand the concept. It creates a pool of oil around the pick-up. (Of course, what would be cool is to have some flappy little doors that allow the oil to go in one direction. i.e. into the can.)

As for he 285 R comp guys. I'd guess between the extended pickup from AMS, an Accusump, neither have solved the problems, as the Moroso AMS uses has had issues fitting to my understanding, and the Accusump wasn't feeding oil fast enough in two consecutive, long arcing right hand turns. The next is the Dry sump that Dave has mentioned, and is approximately $4000.00. So this solution is at least on par with the others,and at a cheaper price.

cij911 Sep 18, 2010 07:44 AM

Sorry about the noob question, but how does the scraper work ? (I already PM'd David about buying this great piece.)

Found my answer : http://www.crank-scrapers.com/What%2...k-scraper.html

David Buschur Sep 18, 2010 11:28 AM

The scraper bolts to the main cap, as the crank swings past the scraper the oil is scraped off the crank and drops back into the pan where it belongs. Without it the oil clings to the crank and get flung everywhere. Then has to drain back down into the pan. By scraping it off it is returned to the pan "instantly". By baffling the pan the oil is held around the pick up. Trap doors are good for short bursts of speed in one direction.

o-townFLA Sep 22, 2010 08:59 AM

cheap and ingenious idea David...

David Buschur Sep 23, 2010 06:32 AM

I attempted to post a picture directly here of a 4g64 oil pan but couldn't figure out how to do it from my phone. I posted it on the Buschur Racing Facebook page instead.

Anyone interested in seeing that a 4g64 pan isn't baffled nearly the same as this one can see it here:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8615104&ref=ts

TommiM Sep 23, 2010 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by SWOLN (Post 8679402)
Hmm, I questioned it too, but I see what Dave is saying, and he shouldn't have to spoon feed every ounce of information to prove it works. Although, it seems that way sometimes.

If I perceive the design correctly, a deaf, dumb, and blind guy could understand the concept. It creates a pool of oil around the pick-up. (Of course, what would be cool is to have some flappy little doors that allow the oil to go in one direction. i.e. into the can.)

As for he 285 R comp guys. I'd guess between the extended pickup from AMS, an Accusump, neither have solved the problems, as the Moroso AMS uses has had issues fitting to my understanding, and the Accusump wasn't feeding oil fast enough in two consecutive, long arcing right hand turns. The next is the Dry sump that Dave has mentioned, and is approximately $4000.00. So this solution is at least on par with the others,and at a cheaper price.

+1. Short of a dry sump setup, this along with an accusump is the next best thing, imo. I think that its great that Buschur is at least making products addressing this issue. Not many vendors have alot if any that are coming out giving us other options short of a dry sump. You can hang around for results while you race around starving oil to your engine at track events, or get one of these for added insurance and test it out yourself.

lan_evo_mr9 Sep 26, 2010 06:58 PM

So will this modded oil pan work with a 4g64?

David Buschur Sep 26, 2010 10:14 PM

Hmmm, good question on the 4g64. I'd have to saynyes since all the 4g63 parts are used on that block when building a 2.1 and 2.4, so yes.

David Buschur Sep 26, 2010 10:15 PM

The crank scraper does not work however on that block.

tscompusa2 Sep 27, 2010 04:44 AM

Nice David. I wish I seen this post before I put my pan on tho. lol. I will definitely send a pan in to get modified down the road. I already have the kiggly regulator, it works great. Does the scraper work on your 2.3 motor without modification?

cij911 Sep 27, 2010 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by tscompusa (Post 8703028)
Nice David. I wish I seen this post before I put my pan on tho. lol. I will definitely send a pan in to get modified down the road. I already have the kiggly regulator, it works great. Does the scraper work on your 2.3 motor without modification?

Post #14 has the answer to your question....And via PM Dave told me that the stock setup would NOT work on the 2.3L which I have been considering for some time now :(....Bummer but I'm sure Dave could figure something out.

David Buschur Sep 28, 2010 08:37 AM

The pan works but the scraper doesn't. The next time I put a stroker together I'll see if I can make a scraper work. Actually, I am sure it will work.............just a lot of time fitting it.

n2oiroc Nov 3, 2010 02:26 PM

Sent my pan in and just got it back. Looks to be a nice simple mod that will be very effective. Highly recommended!