EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Amsoil introduces new Z-Rod high ZDDP oil line (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/555016-amsoil-introduces-new-z-rod-high-zddp-oil-line.html)

apagan01 May 28, 2011 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by golgo13 (Post 9351971)
Good to know. I'll change over to this once I finish my build and am running it.

{thumbup}

Good luck with the build and be safe.

Pure EvoIX Jun 10, 2011 01:04 PM

Just got a case of Zrod 20w50. Switched over from Amsoil 10w40 AMO. I ran 6.5k miles with 3 track days and it was still fine according to Blackstone Labs. I'll see how the new 20w50 will do with some hard track days and street driving. I'll do an oil analysis with 3 track days with 4k miles and see what they say.

06MREvo Jun 10, 2011 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Pure EvoIX (Post 9383358)
Just got a case of Zrod 20w50. Switched over from Amsoil 10w40 AMO. I ran 6.5k miles with 3 track days and it was still fine according to Blackstone Labs. I'll see how the new 20w50 will do with some hard track days and street driving. I'll do an oil analysis with 3 track days with 4k miles and see what they say.

Very nice, keep us updated!! I have 1 more oil change worth of 10w-40 AMO sitting in the garage. So Ill probably be ordering some of the new Zrod stuff within the next month or so...

apagan01 Jun 10, 2011 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Pure EvoIX (Post 9383358)

Very good, that is amazing.

tscompusa2 Jun 10, 2011 02:01 PM

6500 miles? holy crap! it takes me a year to put that on my car or more

Pure EvoIX Jun 10, 2011 02:37 PM

Max oil temps i got on track is 257F after 10 laps per session. This is with setrab oil cooler though. Im 99% sure it has alot to do with my lower oil temps. Before was ~275-280F on stock oil cooler. I was making way less power back then versus now (294whp vs 385whp).

Yeah i thought 6500miles and 3 track days was nuts. Blackstone Labs told me do 8k miles and 4 track days...lol. So for the 20w50, im gonna do 4k and 3 track days and see how it is.

apagan01 Jun 12, 2011 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Pure EvoIX (Post 9383623)
Max oil temps i got on track is 257F after 10 laps per session. This is with setrab oil cooler though. Im 99% sure it has alot to do with my lower oil temps. Before was ~275-280F on stock oil cooler. I was making way less power back then versus now (294whp vs 385whp).

Yeah i thought 6500miles and 3 track days was nuts. Blackstone Labs told me do 8k miles and 4 track days...lol. So for the 20w50, im gonna do 4k and 3 track days and see how it is.

Sounds very good.

apagan01 Jun 29, 2011 05:20 PM

Does anyone have any oil labs yet on this oil ?

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie (Post 9305533)
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/images/zrf_300.jpg

AMSOIL Z-ROD™ Synthetic Motor Oil is specially engineered for classic and high-performance vehicles. It features a high-zinc formulation to prevent wear on flat-tappet camshafts and other critical engine components, along with a proprietary blend of rust and corrosion inhibitors for added protection during long-term storage. Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil is designed to perform on the street and protect during storage.

AMSOIL, the leader in automotive synthetic lubrication, produced the world’s first API-qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972. Trust the extensive experience of AMSOIL, the First in Synthetics®, to do the best job protecting your engine.

Protects Flat-Tappet Cams
The lifters and cam lobes on flat-tappet camshafts common to classic and high performance vehicles slide rapidly against one another, producing high friction and heat. The friction between the two components can eventually wear down the cam and affect valve operation, ultimately resulting in lost engine power and reduced efficiency. In addition, these areas are splash-lubricated rather than pressure lubricated like other areas of the engine, which adds extra strain on anti-wear additives like the zinc and phosphorus in zinc dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP).

AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil is formulated with high levels of ZDDP to protect flat-tappet cams, lifters, rockers and other areas susceptible to wear. Its high-zinc, high-phosphorus formulation provides the extra wear protection these critical splash-lubricated components require.

Provides Long-Term Protection from Rust & Corrosion
AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil is formulated with a unique blend of rust and corrosion inhibitors to ensure maximum protection during long-term storage. To prove its effectiveness, AMSOIL submitted Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil to the Standard Test Method for Rust Protection in the Humidity Cabinet (ASTM D-1748). This test evaluates the rust-preventative properties of oil under high-humidity conditions, similar to those faced by a covered hot rod in a damp garage. The metal coupon treated with AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil showed no signs of oxidation after 192 hours, while the coupon treated with a leading competitor’s product failed the test after 24 hours.

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended for older or modified engines requiring either 10W-30 or 20W-50 motor oil. Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil meets API SL and earlier specifications, allowing for increased levels of anti-wear additives. ZDDP levels in Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil exceed the limits of API SM and newer specifications.

COMPATIBILITY
AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oils are compatible with conventional and other synthetic motor oils. Mixing AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oils with other oils, however, will shorten the oil’s life expectancy and reduce the performance benefits. Aftermarket oil additives are not recommended for use with AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oils.

SERVICE LIFE
Because classic cars, hot rods and other performance vehicles are generally modified by their owners, AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended for a maximum drain interval of 5,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. Heavily modified vehicles (forced induction, nitrous) should not exceed 3,000 miles or one year between oil changes, whichever comes first.

HEALTH & SAFETY
This product is not expected to cause health concerns when used for the intended application and according to the recommendations in the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). An MSDS is available via the Internet at www.amsoil.com or upon request at (715) 392-7101. Keep Out of Reach of Children. Don’t pollute. Return used oil to collection centers.

For warranty information, visit www.amsoil.com/warranty.aspx.

rEVOlution04 Jun 29, 2011 08:27 PM

So does the zrod have more zinc and phosphorous than the dominator? What's the difference between the two?

apagan01 Jun 30, 2011 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by rEVOlution04 (Post 9427444)
So does the zrod have more zinc and phosphorous than the dominator? What's the difference between the two?

Z Rod has both the 30 and 50 weights:
Zinc 1440 PPM
Phos 1320 PPM

Dominator are up in the 1500, not that much furhter than Z Rod, the difference is how Z rod has detergents where dominator does not.

So you can say Z Rod is a good racing and street driven oil.

Fast_Freddie Jun 30, 2011 05:19 PM

Andy, I have about 1500 miles on the 20-50 Z-Rod ATM...

apagan01 Jun 30, 2011 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie (Post 9429738)
Andy, I have about 1500 miles on the 20-50 Z-Rod ATM...

you still have another 2-2500 miles before you can call that oil quit's {thumbup}

04AWDTURBOEVO Jul 5, 2011 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by apagan01 (Post 9429729)
Z Rod has both the 30 and 50 weights:
Zinc 1440 PPM
Phos 1320 PPM

Dominator are up in the 1500, not that much furhter than Z Rod, the difference is how Z rod has detergents where dominator does not.

So you can say Z Rod is a good racing and street driven oil.

I will be doing my oil change today, Andy.

I am going to put this 15w50 Dominator in, but on next oil change, I will be going with the ZRod type.

It sounds like it will be better for my DD Evo :thumbup:.

Amsoil is good stuff :).

apagan01 Jul 6, 2011 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by 04AWDTURBOEVO (Post 9437903)
I will be doing my oil change today, Andy.

I am going to put this 15w50 Dominator in, but on next oil change, I will be going with the ZRod type.

It sounds like it will be better for my DD Evo :thumbup:.

Amsoil is good stuff :).

yes sir you cant go wrong either way, but Z Rod will be better suited for a DD like yours.

Good luck on your new journey by the way,
we have to catch up soon maybe go fishing, last time was a blast even though all we cought was a cold

Jonesey I7 Jul 14, 2011 01:32 PM

Got me some goodies for tomorrow's install.....

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/448/imag0217l.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us