EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   EVO IX vs. Fake Wheels = One FREAKED up CAR (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/583681-evo-ix-vs-fake-wheels-one-freaked-up-car.html)

Josh x Jul 29, 2013 09:58 AM

Wow! Glad no one was hurt!

golgo13 Jul 29, 2013 10:34 AM

This thread is from 2011...

Jimmy Javelin Jul 29, 2013 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by danextreyes7 (Post 9749948)
bbs's for the win all day!!!!

Hell yea brother! :lol:
Love my BBS's.

I will say that any wheel brand can fail under enough stress/load.
We all have seen pictures of Volks that are destroyed.
They can happen to anyone but of course, you get what you pay for.

pendujatt Jul 29, 2013 10:48 AM

thank you for the visual

SilverShadow03 Jul 29, 2013 10:54 AM

So much FAIL in this thread...

I had one of my Stock Enkie wheels develop a hairline crack. I only noticed it due to an unbalanced wheel type symptom developing and upon further inspection found the crack and picked up another used oem wheel. If I would have continued to drive on this cracked wheel then I'm sure a similar situation would have happened to me but thankfully I caught it in time.

Here's my oem wheel still sitting in my garage:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e3...3/IMG_4691.jpg

&

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e3...3/IMG_4692.jpg

That wheel did not just implode at 35 mph ...... total BS. There is far more to this story then what was originally posted/shared by the OP. Missing lug nut, grave/debris and bought NEW/used but never installed DIRT CHEAP says something else about them not originally shared to us and the buyer after reading this thread.

Enjoy your 'Rice' vs. OEM/expensive wheel debate.....Not even worth reading what has and what will be posted about this.

It does suck to see that happen and I'm glad no one was injured.. but I wouldn't go as far as to say it was the wheel just falling apart going 35 mph.

Thread from 2011 ... nice.

ChristianAPEX8 Jul 29, 2013 04:41 PM

I have this same pair of wheels and have been on them for a while now. They are amazing, get compliments everywhere and show no signs of being weak like these in the photo.

TommiM Jul 29, 2013 05:11 PM

I loved my old Racing Hart CP035s. I had them on my mr2, went slightly off course into the grass, which made me go straight towards a raised section of where the pavement began. Right front wheel went straight into a raised section of pavement at about 65 mph, that impact was so rough I thought I had chipped some teeth. Wheel got slightly bent but it still held air.:D I didn't even realize it was bent until I looked at the inside lip. Id say that was a very well made wheel.

SmurfZilla Jul 29, 2013 05:40 PM

Racing Hart CP035's........God I loved and lusted after a set of those so bad back in the day. What ever happened to sprint hart? When I look them up now I swear its not the same company.

@ChristianAPEX8: The looks of the wheel are subjective. The cool thing is to have aggressive looking wheels which these fit that aesthetic very well. The problem is when wheels fail you aren't normally going to get a warning especially if they fail at all or in a unexpected way. This particular old @$$ post is a little suspect but to say the wheels are great just because you get compliments on them isn't what this thread is about.

What the OP intended years ago with this post is to discredit replica/cheap wheels and show the example of what happens with them. The way this wheel failed is suspect at best but it doesn't change the fact that there is a reason why authentic wheels are so pricey.

Still I understand why 500 dollar wheels exist and why 1500+ wheels exist.

Get what you can afford if you must have aftermarket wheels.

RotorGlowGTS Jul 29, 2013 05:42 PM

I've hit a pothole on the highway before that bent a rim to the point of immediately deflating the tire and knocking the oem radio out of place. Those wheels were Ronals on my first car. The rim BENT, I've never seen a wheel explode like these pics.

Sharkbite2000 Jul 29, 2013 05:45 PM

All I can say you pay for what you get for it's like wearing Sike's and telling people they are just like Nike's :) at a fraction of the price they use the same rubber :)

I'm glad no one got hurt that looks super bad VOLK racing all the way for me ;)

Josh_82 Jul 30, 2013 11:20 AM

Damn I've never seen rims destroyed like that ever. Poor EVO :sad:

Ricoswave Jul 30, 2013 12:59 PM

You can see in the broken parts the air bubbles in the cast. Wild.

blackenedwings Jul 30, 2013 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ricoswave (Post 10904293)
You can see in the broken parts the air bubbles in the cast. Wild.

This. It was a defective wheel. It's not that every cheap wheel is going to explode and kill everyone in a 10 mile radius. It's that really cheap wheels use poor quality metal and casting process with poor quality control. If you are rolling around town hardparking it's not a big deal. If you are running curbs at 115 mph on a road course...

wiretap Jul 30, 2013 01:22 PM

I hit a pothole recently (15''W x 15''L x 8''D) going 55mph with my old Rota's and got a double blowout on the driver side. I thought the airbag was going to deploy and it slowed down the car about 20mph. Front driver rim bent just a little, and both tires had complete rips about 4'' long in them. I was still able to drive home (~2 miles) on two flat tires. I went and bought another set of rims and tires the next day. I've destroyed Rota, Motegi, Enkei, and Rays in potholes.. all of them have held up the same, with roughly the same amount of damage. I don't buy expensive rims anymore because they're just going to get destroyed here on the terrible Michigan roads.

www001510565 Jul 30, 2013 06:44 PM

maybe its time for me to buy some quality rims. hope my xxrs hang in there b4 i have enough money to buy new ones!!