EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-how-requests-questions-tips-112/)
-   -   How to create a stealthy interior, black. (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-how-requests-questions-tips/214764-how-create-stealthy-interior-black.html)

HassounEVO Oct 2, 2006 11:57 AM

For anybody looking to do this to their interior. I attempted to do this yesterday without any prep (sanding, primer, etc.) to the surface. I tested the little piece of trim around the foglight switch first to see how it would come out. After the 2nd coat of spray paint, i noticed the paint kept cracking. I then removed the Spray paint and realized the original grayish paint on the trim was cracking and peeling causing the spray paint i had just applied to crack. I ended up stripping the spray paint and sanding the original grayish paint off with 400 grit, then 800 grit, then 1000 grit. I then sprayed 6 thin coats of the spray paint to make it look just right; it ended up coming out PERFECT. Very DURABLE and clean looking finish. So for anyone looking to do this, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND STRIPPING THE ORIGINAL GRAYISH PAINT OFF FIRST, THEN SAND!! Then spray paint. BTW, the color on the cap says "Flat Black" for those wondering. Hope this helps people looking to do it in the future.

SE7EN Oct 2, 2006 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by th3_rEv8lution
anyone know what to use to remove this paint? lets just say it didn't go as well as hoped when i painted my pieces and now i have to remove the paint and redo it.

yeah i had that same thing happen...im going to try thinner or some crap called goof off for when u mess up when u paint....other than that...nope how about sand and re prep and repaint? or i will get cf ones

SE7EN Oct 2, 2006 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by HassounEVO
For anybody looking to do this to their interior. I attempted to do this yesterday without any prep (sanding, primer, etc.) to the surface. I tested the little piece of trim around the foglight switch first to see how it would come out. After the 2nd coat of spray paint, i noticed the paint kept cracking. I then removed the Spray paint and realized the original grayish paint on the trim was cracking and peeling causing the spray paint i had just applied to crack. I ended up stripping the spray paint and sanding the original grayish paint off with 400 grit, then 800 grit, then 1000 grit. I then sprayed 6 thin coats of the spray paint to make it look just right; it ended up coming out PERFECT. Very DURABLE and clean looking finish. So for anyone looking to do this, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND STRIPPING THE ORIGINAL GRAYISH PAINT OFF FIRST, THEN SAND!! Then spray paint. BTW, the color on the cap says "Flat Black" for those wondering. Hope this helps people looking to do it in the future.

yup...i preped the radio piece but not the long piece by the vents...that one cracked ...still leaving it for a nother weeken job

th3_rEv8lution Oct 7, 2006 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by SE7EN
yeah i had that same thing happen...im going to try thinner or some crap called goof off for when u mess up when u paint....other than that...nope how about sand and re prep and repaint? or i will get cf ones

what grit sandpaper should i use? i was thinking of 800 and then 1200.

DreamLike1 Oct 18, 2006 12:23 AM

wow, WOW... this truly makes the Evo interior look 600 times better IMO.. there is no doubt I will eventually do this. NICE work it should have come like this from the factory

sinajoon5 Oct 18, 2006 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by DreamLike1
wow, WOW... this truly makes the Evo interior look 600 times better IMO.. there is no doubt I will eventually do this. NICE work it should have come like this from the factory

agreed

scott yo Oct 18, 2006 02:17 PM

your evo is so dark!

CarFanatic Oct 18, 2006 02:30 PM

whats the trick to masking the circles in the dash pannel?

DanJ Oct 18, 2006 10:55 PM

I like the black interior.

I'mStock Oct 19, 2006 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by CarFanatic

Pull out the stickers, then put them back on once the paint has dried. {thumbup}

btung423 Oct 19, 2006 10:04 PM

that is one angry tb evo, very nice :)

CarFanatic Oct 20, 2006 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by I'mStock
Pull out the stickers, then put them back on once the paint has dried. {thumbup}

what??? they wont stick again.. your kidding right?

I'mStock Oct 29, 2006 01:33 PM

what??? they wont stick again.. your kidding right?

I've taken mine of 4 times, and they still stick great.

Spend the money on new ones if you want to, but the original ones aren't gonna magically become un-sticky because you peel them off.

sleet Oct 29, 2006 02:21 PM

All you do is tape ove the circle and then use an exacto knife to cut out the circles, read the writeup :lol:

sleet Oct 29, 2006 02:22 PM

Thanks to everyone for the comments, I think i'm going to do a part two pretty soon as i've painted the B and C pillars plus i'm going to do the steering wheel soon.

Also i'm debating on weither or not to do my seats :)