EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain-258/)
-   -   Full Race EFR 8374 IWG Problem (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain/754397-full-race-efr-8374-iwg-problem.html)

Metal_AF May 17, 2019 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by MannyEvoX (Post 11872771)
$750 for a Flexfuel tune, I think that's pretty good. I'm sure he lowered the price for me since I just did a huge build with him.

I sent him that link you guys showed me, he liked it and said it had very good info, let's hope it'll show him what needs to be done.

Ehh, nothing special about that price. A flex etune is usually $700-800. Its not your fault the wastegate isnt working after they installed everything. In my book, they are still on the hook if they want to drop the motor again. That's not how business is done.
Its equivalent to a shop charging for an oil change twice because they realized they didn't change the filter the first time.

MannyEvoX May 17, 2019 06:16 PM

We think we figured out the problem. He was able to take the Turbosmart wastegate actuator out and it seems it is faulty. It won't open for nothing, even putting it in a wise and pulling on it didn't work. So he said he'll warranty that and next day it on Monday.

nick2nick20 May 20, 2019 08:17 AM

Man. I don't even own an Evo. Just lurking the forums cause I'd like to get one in the next year, but I've been reading through your build threads. Hope this solves the problem and you can finally drive it without the limiter.

splattj May 20, 2019 08:21 AM

Dang! I have a Turbosmart on stock-frame build.... I guess I'll be bench testing it before bolting it on now!

MannyEvoX May 29, 2019 12:12 PM

New problem guys, they replaced the Turbosmart and on Saturday I asked what's the latest. So he says I made 335whp @ 12psi but only 337whp @25psi. So he said the smoke test showed nothing so a boost leak test would be next. Then yesterday I asked for another updated and he said that one of his mechanics thinks it's the BOV leaking internally, he hasn't found any leaks so before we go there he's going to see if the hfc (just bought a used hfc) is clogged. So I just texted him now to see what happened. Does anybody have any thoughts?

heel2toe May 29, 2019 12:34 PM

Honestly, not sure how productive this comment is and I mean no disrespect but I think you should find a different shop. Everything about this whole story screams they have no business working on cars. Im sorry I really don't mean to be rude but you've given them good money and it shouldn't be this painful.

RS200 May 29, 2019 05:39 PM

It wouldn't be making a measured 25 psi if the BOV was "leaking internally". A clogged cat could cause it, but this shop sounds absolutely incompetent.

MannyEvoX May 30, 2019 05:58 AM

Thanks for everyone's responses I do appreciate it. I really like the guy and he's a chill guy but it's just the problems and the waiting and not being properly scheduled is the thing I get upset about. Like I said in another post, he is my literal next door neighbor to my dad's shop. So I see his shop every single day and I see when he's not working on my car and it just feels like anytime "I'm scheduled" and a problem comes up he drops my car and tries to work on the other cars he needs to get done. If he'd just focus and handle a problem when it occurs I think everything will be fine. I very well might have to go to a different shop worst case. I really don't want to do that and it would be very tough thing for me to do but if I don't have my car perfectly running by the end of June (which will be 1 year since I dropped it off) I may have to do that

Random question as well, I have the Mivec delete (pretty sure the exhaust side) and now I will always have a check engine light. Does anybody know if theres a way to not have a CEL on a built evo? He got the light off long enough to get my car inspected but it came on right after...is there anything I can do to fix that cause I'm worried I'll have to rely on him each year for that

RS200 May 30, 2019 06:28 AM

Why did you delete MIVEC????
There are ways to fool an ECU (resistors and such), and there are ways to tune around that using software. I would be livid if my car had a CEL after spending $1000 on tuning. Get it out of there.

MannyEvoX May 30, 2019 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by RS200 (Post 11874248)
Why did you delete MIVEC????
There are ways to fool an ECU (resistors and such), and there are ways to tune around that using software. I would be livid if my car had a CEL after spending $1000 on tuning. Get it out of there.

Well my whole build is pretty extensive as well as having a big turbo and S2 cams with titanium springs so as a precaution we deleted that side mivec because it usually cracks with bigger cams and stiffer springs and reving out to 8500. I haven't been tuned yet. All I have is a tune so that the car is driveable while I was breaking it in. The beginning of May is when he was going to dyno tune my car but then we ran into some issues, fixed one issue only to run into another one lol

moladin May 30, 2019 08:05 AM

Manny,

I run S2 cam with beehives springs+titanium retainer on my stock block for the past 4 years and 20k miles on it. The exhaust cam is perfectly fine last I check.

If you don’t plan to race your car, you probably don’t have to worry about it as much.

I am sorry to hear about all the drama you went through. Razorlab also has a shop drama with his built in another forums. Finding a good shop that works on evo is very few and far between depending on where you are unfortunately.

good luck!

Metal_AF May 30, 2019 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by MannyEvoX (Post 11874251)
Well my whole build is pretty extensive as well as having a big turbo and S2 cams with titanium springs so as a precaution we deleted that side mivec because it usually cracks with bigger cams and stiffer springs and reving out to 8500. I haven't been tuned yet. All I have is a tune so that the car is driveable while I was breaking it in. The beginning of May is when he was going to dyno tune my car but then we ran into some issues, fixed one issue only to run into another one lol

Ahh man, the cam phaser doesn't usually just break for no reason up out of nowhere. It usually occurs when things get rebuilt/put back together and the valve lashing isn't set right. Not a lot of people end up deleting mivec.

MannyEvoX May 30, 2019 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Metal_AF (Post 11874263)
Ahh man, the cam phaser doesn't usually just break for no reason up out of nowhere. It usually occurs when things get rebuilt/put back together and the valve lashing isn't set right. Not a lot of people end up deleting mivec.

I did a lot of research about it and I have found many people had that problem, having the housing crack. Also I follow a guy on youtube with a 9174 build by a very good tuner JRP and they kept the stock housing and when they dyno tuned it the housing cracked and they had to delete mivec on the exhaust side only

LetsGetThisDone May 30, 2019 09:08 AM

S2 + springs and retainers need the exhaust mivec deleted or turned off. The exhaust mivec doesn't get enough oil to control the cam with a bigger cam and upgraded springs. The housing cracks because the mivec gear is literally just slapping back and forth on itself and it eventually fails.

Idk how its done, but you the code can be fixed in the tune. Idk if there is a way to just turn it off, or if you set the exhaust mivec table to 0* across the whole thing and that fixes it.

Metal_AF May 30, 2019 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11874275)
S2 + springs and retainers need the exhaust mivec deleted or turned off. The exhaust mivec doesn't get enough oil to control the cam with a bigger cam and upgraded springs. The housing cracks because the mivec gear is literally just slapping back and forth on itself and it eventually fails.

Idk how its done, but you the code can be fixed in the tune. Idk if there is a way to just turn it off, or if you set the exhaust mivec table to 0* across the whole thing and that fixes it.

If anyone cares, here is a good write-up on it:
https://boostedforums.net/showthread...ure-how-common
I agree with you that higher spring pressure exacerbates any present valve lash problems, but plenty of folks run the mivec with s2 springs and never run into issues. Incorrect valve lash paired with oil starvation seems to be the main culprit. I was concerned that the shop steered him to that decision because they didn't want to mess with the mivec. Anecdotally, mine's been fine on 2s cams and springs for about 15k miles. I understand why someone would just go with a solid gear to avoid possible problems later on though.

MannyEvoX - Can you just go over to the shop yourself, pull the cat and see if it acts better?