EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Lancer General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-general-9/)
-   -   Governor on our cars? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-general/119393-governor-our-cars.html)

urbanknight Feb 7, 2005 10:30 PM

Other than a rev limiter, our car has NO speed governer... well, except for the limits of the weak engine and heavy frame :lol:

hypo74 Feb 8, 2005 10:07 AM

I have only been able to hit 115 mph. if the car really does almost 130 mph or faster i will try to get it there soon and let you folks know. Sounds like a challenge.

Exel 17" with Hancook, AEM CAI.

twardnw Feb 8, 2005 10:11 AM

well, we know, it can do 135... I wouldn't suggest trying it anywhere but a track, once you get about 120 the drag is high and those last few mph take a while to get

hypo74 Feb 8, 2005 10:16 AM

The drag starts at about the 115 mark because trying to get more speed is like trying to push a boulder.

80 West bound, new jersey, mile markers 9-6

Blue04ES Feb 8, 2005 10:21 AM

My cars governor is different everyday, depending on the current air pressure :lol:

Stingray_63oz Feb 12, 2005 01:33 AM

You're right.

Originally Posted by twardOZRally
sorry, whoever told you that doesn't have their facts straight. there's no govenor on our cars, the closest thing is the fuel cut-out that happens when you hit 67xx rpm's, and that is only to protect the engine

Sorry,I was hoping to respond earlier but I could not respond with my old account and I started a new one.
Because of the Firestone/Ford Explorer tire issues, automotive and tire companies did not want to be sued for tires blowing out so they placed limits. The rev limiter/govenor or whatever is there to protect the engine but also there to keep the car from going over the tire's temp limit that can cause a blow-out. T/118mph, H/130mph,Z rating + 149mph and so on.When friction heats up a tire beyond it's temp limit then you have problems. There are many drivers out there who push their cars to the limits and companies don't want to be sued for something going wrong,unless it was for an actual tire defect.
The friend who told me that cars have a govenor drives a Honda and this was before I got into the automotive design business. The rest of the information I got were from my instructors and tire manufacturers/experts that we work with and the information you get from the sidewall of a tire. So,if you get the same info from different sources,it's not all b.s. so yes,my friends do know what they're talking about.
As for my O-Z reaching 130mph,it sure didn't feel like a brick and it was stable but it sucked up lots of gas.

imapunkclaimer Feb 12, 2005 01:40 AM

Also 130 Here when it was completely stock and had probably 2k miles

camaro379ss Feb 12, 2005 07:04 AM

wasn't there a thread a long time ago saying how fast people have gone in their lancers?

i don't know, maybe i just imagined this.

Sir Lancelot Feb 12, 2005 07:18 AM

I was clocked at 133mph on a straight away flat surface with just me in the car... RMR Axle-back, custom downpipe-back to RMR, RMR intake, reflashed ECU...

State trooper was impressed and said it was the highest he's ever seen a car do... :lol:

Got me out of the car, looked at it and wanted to know what the hell it was :D .
Luckly I got away with just a warning cause I knew him.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

wiretap Feb 12, 2005 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Sir Lancelot
I was clocked at 133mph on a straight away flat surface with just me in the car... RMR Axle-back, custom downpipe-back to RMR, RMR intake, reflashed ECU...

State trooper was impressed and said it was the highest he's ever seen a car do... :lol:

Got me out of the car, looked at it and wanted to know what the hell it was :D .
Luckly I got away with just a warning cause I knew him.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

ROFL!!! props to you Sir Lancelot!! :headbang: You're my hero! :lol:

Evilution VIII Feb 12, 2005 08:23 AM

I would love to see some of the speed ratings on the tires these kids are taking almost to 130 lol.... especially the one admitting he has the "el cheapo" no name treads on.

Sir Lancelot Feb 12, 2005 08:24 AM

I was running on Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's Z rated, which were fine for those speeds....at least they seemed to be...hahaha

urbanknight Feb 12, 2005 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by camaro379ss
wasn't there a thread a long time ago saying how fast people have gone in their lancers?

i don't know, maybe i just imagined this.

Yes there was, and the answers were about the same (ranging from 110 to about 130) but since this one is about speed governors, it's kinda sorta lil teeny bit different.

wiretap Feb 12, 2005 09:30 PM

Hankook Ventus HRII tires.. H-rated. ~130mph. =D
The tires are always rated under what they can do anyways for safety reasons.. =/

ThunderOZ Aug 11, 2005 10:49 PM

120mph in stock auto TG OZ on I-95 while running wit a mazda 6, but let off.....da oz had an incredibly smooth ride @ that speed