EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/loft-evom-car-talk-corner-357/)
-   -   Civic Type R (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/loft-evom-car-talk-corner/733423-civic-type-r.html)

moparfan Jun 4, 2017 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by kyoo (Post 11745163)
honda used to make great engines no doubt about it. their v6s are overlooked, not even talking about the nsx either - the TL has a great engine.

in today's day, their old 4 bangers are dated. finally getting on the turbo bandwagon this generation, was not really a part of the japan 90s overbuilt iron block turbo engines. their f1 cars have had heaps of trouble. just not what they used to be.

FWIW the car i mentioned, the engine was def the best part about the car. it was also the only thing good about the car. felt like a cobbled together POS, nothing felt cohesive or "together" about it. revved to 8500, whoopdeedoo. it didn't have the midrange torque it needed in an autox and never felt like it was really in it's range to perform.

The new Civic si engine doesn't match up to the fiesta ST motor which is years old now.

kyoo Jun 4, 2017 09:41 PM

yea i mean to be honest nothing honda has offered ever REALLY had me interested, including nsx. nothing that made it to the usa, except maybe the CR s2000.

RazorLab Jun 4, 2017 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by kyoo (Post 11745304)
yea i mean to be honest nothing honda has offered ever REALLY had me interested, including nsx. nothing that made it to the usa, except maybe the CR s2000.

Bruh, better torque than Nascar and just like an F1 engine... bruh

kyoo Jun 4, 2017 10:04 PM

lol i guess i can't be one to talk because i love the e92 m3 though..

when it comes to autox and having a crushing midrange though...turbo or big displacement v8 is where it's at for the torque. though it's not just displacement. do you guys remember that top gear review of the ISF (clarkson) where he was kind of saying the way the powerband is, it's like all the cookies are at the top and the car's never really there... that's how the k24 at autox felt to me. i think it would be a great track motor (see andy hollis' k24 miata). idk. his car didn't really do it for me, and honda doesn't really do it for me.

kaj Jun 5, 2017 12:32 AM

If I were onto autox I definitely would not choose a Honda. For anything else, maybe.

moparfan Jun 14, 2017 02:20 AM

First drive of american model:

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/fi...-civic-type-r/

Robevo RS Jun 14, 2017 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by moparfan (Post 11748023)

that is all we need.... a Honda Type R for a Honda crowed which glorifyed by USA magazine
​​
In a way they are compere it to the Paganini Zonda S, and the Ferrari Enzo... If you still wondering why i dont have too much faith in magazine reviews about cars, this comparison is a prime example.

Alexmo530 Jun 14, 2017 05:10 AM

looks like a Subaru stunt double

PolloVagabundo Jun 14, 2017 06:44 AM

still can't get over the hideous rear end. :(

WarmMilk Jun 14, 2017 10:52 PM

Ugh, 20" wheels? Really? Why is every car manufacturer's obsession with enourmous wheels?

barneyb Jun 14, 2017 11:39 PM

"Torsional rigidity is up 38 percent". Every new sporty model makes a claim like this but usually the number is bigger. Cars must be getting stiffer than a North Dakota winter breeze.

Robevo RS Jun 14, 2017 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by warmmilk (Post 11748358)
Ugh, 20" wheels? Really? Why is every car manufacturer's obsession with enourmous wheels?

because, if you do it right it is a performance enhancer.
Think about it, wheel generally weight less then street tire go around it ( good wheels) , also bigger diameter with same width has also bigger contact patch. Therefore very possible the 20 inch wheels, and tires weights a same as the 18 inch ones, if the outer diamater stayed same. there fore more contact patch with a same tire but with a same width as the 18 inch counter part.
When they say we use a same width tire as the previous models , most people think the tire performance stayed a same, ( assuming they use a same tire type) so essentially the car ( engineering )got better, and has nothing to do with the tire choice. ( like the ford RS 19 inch wheels should compensate the less factory width compare what the 18 inch Evo/STI has for an example. But with less rotating mass also hopefully, :) )

20 inch wheels are huge gains, if the brakes, and power can handle it vs 18 inch. Not so much from 19 but still better.

This way magazines say, they say we used a "same" tires as the previous car, but on bigger wheels so it does looks better.... Sounds familiar?
:D:D:D:D:D

LetsGetThisDone Jun 15, 2017 08:24 AM

Wheel diameter has nothing to do with contact patch. Tire diameter does, but not the wheel. 20's on a civic....Honda went full potato.

WarmMilk Jun 15, 2017 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Robevo RS (Post 11748370)
because, if you do it right it is a performance enhancer.
Think about it, wheel generally weight less then street tire go around it ( good wheels) , also bigger diameter with same width has also bigger contact patch. Therefore very possible the 20 inch wheels, and tires weights a same as the 18 inch ones, if the outer diamater stayed same. there fore more contact patch with a same tire but with a same width as the 18 inch counter part.
When they say we use a same width tire as the previous models , most people think the tire performance stayed a same, ( assuming they use a same tire type) so essentially the car ( engineering )got better, and has nothing to do with the tire choice. ( like the ford RS 19 inch wheels should compensate the less factory width compare what the 18 inch Evo/STI has for an example. But with less rotating mass also hopefully, :) )

20 inch wheels are huge gains, if the brakes, and power can handle it vs 18 inch. Not so much from 19 but still better.

This way magazines say, they say we used a "same" tires as the previous car, but on bigger wheels so it does looks better.... Sounds familiar?
:D:D:D:D:D

ok, in this case it might be excusable since they were chasing 'ring times... but most cars aren't built to chase 'ring times

nemsin Jun 15, 2017 10:20 AM

Well its nearly 7s faster around the ring than the last generation, so all the 'little' things do add up. If they make a Type R coupe I might consider it, but I am not a fan of the 5 door's styling. Now something like this I could get behind
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...b0f43ea199.jpg