EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Project Cars / Build Threads (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/project-cars-build-threads-344/)
-   -   doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/project-cars-build-threads/651433-doncarbones-03-oz-rally-06-ralliart-engine-swap.html)

doncarbone Mar 4, 2014 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Archlegan (Post 11134506)
Don- I've been reading up more on the AWD conversion; a lot of Mirage guys are doing this using the EVO floor pan. If your Outlander pan has similar dimensions, then perhaps this won't be as daunting of a task as the Lancer community believes.

Also, will you be able to retain your coilover setup in the rear, or will you be forced to use the Outlander shock absorbers? You may run into differences in the strut towers which could lead to offset height and stance in the rear.

The floor is not so much the potential issue (as again we are not replacing the whole floor, but just a small section). Where things could get complicated is the Outlander crossmember weight and height. The good news is...hub to hub, it's about the same width (within 0.50" actually, so very close) as what's on my car, and the trailing arms and control arms appear identical from what we can see (in fact for the FWD version of this same Outlander, the trailing arm part # matches my Lancer's -- they are the same).

The height of the system - that one is a bit up in the air but we think we can deal with it.

The coilovers from the looks of it should fit. Height and location wise everything looks very similar. As an added bonus, if the back end does end up sitting a little high, we have the coilovers to help off-set some of that... but our aim is to not have to do that.

I'm finally meeting the welder/fabricator in person tomorrow who has agreed to help us and paying a deposit to officially mark the start of this :) I'll let everyone know how that goes.

shak2300 Mar 4, 2014 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by doncarbone (Post 11131882)
yes im sure the 4G63 transmission will bolt up to the 4G69 block - mitsuorder did his EVO 8 4G69 build and while i don't know if any custom work was required, his car is running the EVO transmission on the 4G69... but for me, it still falls back to the issue of sourcing the 4G63 parts which is expensive with where i live. The Outlander was sourced cheap and local. In any case, my intention down the road is to have the tranny and t-case built by TRE so they can take a beating. I've decided i will cut my losses, continue with the 4G69 AWD swap, then build it up. Buying the 4G63 parts i need for AWD would be twice as expensive as what ive paid so far, so i feel the difference can go toward a TRE rebuild. They might even be able to use a few EVO gears in there??

As for the rear floor, i think we will be only cutting out a section of the floor; at least this is the plan at the moment versus swapping out an entire floor section. My swap will not be near as substantial as this GTI swap here lol, but damn this is some nice work -- my first time seeing this build. This is seriously one of the most impressive builds i have ever seen and proves that basically anything can be done.

4g63 and the 4g69 is the exactly the same block everything from the evo part list will be a direct bolt on to the 69 the only difference between the 63 and 69 is the bore size and 100mm stroke cranks, the deck height is exactly the same, so if you wanted to build a 69 motor all you would need is custom pistons

doncarbone Mar 4, 2014 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by shak2300 (Post 11135229)
4g63 and the 4g69 is the exactly the same block everything from the evo part list will be a direct bolt on to the 69 the only difference between the 63 and 69 is the bore size and 100mm stroke cranks, the deck height is exactly the same, so if you wanted to build a 69 motor all you would need is custom pistons

yep, already going to be doing that immediately following the awd swap, GTX3076R

shak2300 Mar 4, 2014 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Archlegan (Post 11131689)
Well I know that the 4G63 tranny will bolt up to the 4G64 block, maybe it would bolt up to the 69 as well? And I was only wondering about the EVO floor since the bodies of the EVO and Lancer are so similar, aside from the rear end.

You may have seen this build already
http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=453789
But I put it up here just in case. May give you an example of how the floorpan swap can be handled.

actually he did posted that build on evom it still on going lol

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/al...b-project.html {thumbup}

doncarbone Mar 4, 2014 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by shak2300 (Post 11135233)
actually he did posted that build on evom it still on going lol

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/al...b-project.html {thumbup}

ya we get it, this build is ridiculously amazing. quit stealing my fire bro lol

shak2300 Mar 4, 2014 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by doncarbone (Post 11135359)
ya we get it, this build is ridiculously amazing. quit stealing my fire bro lol

lol sorry :lol::crap:

Archlegan Mar 5, 2014 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by doncarbone (Post 11135215)
I'm finally meeting the welder/fabricator in person tomorrow who has agreed to help us and paying a deposit to officially mark the start of this :) I'll let everyone know how that goes.

Sweet! Hope all goes well. Bet you never expected you'd come this far when you first bought that Lancer :lol:

doncarbone Mar 6, 2014 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by shak2300 (Post 11135367)
lol sorry :lol::crap:

haha just messin man. truth is im envious that this guy's build is way more awesome than mine

Originally Posted by Archlegan (Post 11135421)
Sweet! Hope all goes well. Bet you never expected you'd come this far when you first bought that Lancer :lol:

spoke to him yesterday. he showed me some projects he is currently working on in the shop (few completely custom hot rods, very impressive fabrication work) and we discussed the project; went over all the details and I made a deposit toward the work to claim my place in the queue. looks like this is a go.

only downside is he won't be available to work on it until late april/early may -- so until then i'll turn my attention to the EVO 9 head swap and continue acquiring the parts i'll need for that project lol (does it ever end? probably not lol)

shak2300 Mar 6, 2014 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by doncarbone (Post 11136783)
haha just messin man. truth is im envious that this guy's build is way more awesome than mine

i wouldn't say that, it not often you find people like you who crazy enough to do complete engine rebuild and drivetrain swaps, i have been following for awhile, you making good progress {thumbup}

doncarbone Mar 6, 2014 07:50 PM

11 Attachment(s)
Ok, bit of a side update as the AWD rear-end fabrication I'm having done doesn't start until late April/Early May 7-8 weeks most likely.... but thought i'd bring to light the next stage of this build which is the EVO 9 head swap on my 4G69. I already have a handful of the parts I've sourced (which i showcase earlier in this thread), and I've now mapped out, with the help of a few key players (mitsuorder, Mike @BUILT industries and Cranswick), 90% of the goodies I need for this project.

Today I enjoyed opening up a big, heavy box of many of the OEM EVO 9 parts I've been sourcing from various members on the forums.

------

As a bit of an aside [mainly for the uninitiated or any skeptics]: The 4G69 bottom end does have a lot of similarities with that of the 4G63. These similarities include: very similarly sized connecting rods (4g69 are 1.2mm longer - I'm using Manley Turbo Tuff I-beam conrods), the same size main bearings, the same size head studs, and if you take into account off-the-shelf options available to EVO owners who utilize the 4G64, a handful of forged piston and crankshaft options (same size, (but lighter) 100mm crank as the 4G64). It's of a lower deck height than the 4G64 (so bonus for the 4g69 guys) and it also happens to be Mitsubishi's most widely used motor (available in the Ralliart, Outlander, Galant and a version of the Eclipse). The 4G63 is a direct fit on the 4G69.

------

Anyway, today's gifts to myself:

EVO 9 engine harness:

Attachment 332000

EVO 9 ECM, stock:

Attachment 332001

EVO 8 intake manifold and passenger side mount bracket:

Attachment 332002

EVO 9 throttle body w/ IAC and throttle position sensor:

Attachment 332003

Thermostat housing and water neck:

Attachment 332004

Fuel cage assembly (Walbro 255lph going inside):

Attachment 332005

Fuel sender unit:

Attachment 332006

Cosworth bearings:

Attachment 332007

o2 sensors (prob will use a cat delete on the rear, but oh well):

Attachment 332008

Few brackets for that top timing belt cover (might go with the Zacklee clear timing cover):

Attachment 332009

Lower timing belt cover - arrived cracked in a few places, but nothing a bit of super glue and some paint can't fix.

Attachment 332010

-----

More to follow where the head swap is concerned soon! EVO 9 cylinder head, cam sensors, MIVEC gear and MIVEC solenoid to follow very soon!

Resurrected RA Mar 7, 2014 09:29 AM

Awesome!

doncarbone Mar 19, 2014 09:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
more EVO 9 parts unboxed this evening:

gaskets, sensors, belt, throttle cable and gears from mitsubishiparts.net

Attachment 331866

stock fuel rail and lines:

Attachment 331867

oil pan:

Attachment 331868

passenger motor mount:

Attachment 331869

lower timing cover bracket:

Attachment 331870

kayouu Mar 25, 2014 08:52 AM

Looking good man. Can't wait to see the AWD rear fabbing. Be sure to take lots of pics of that. AWD will be the next adventure I go on perhaps.

doncarbone Mar 25, 2014 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by kayouu (Post 11155929)
Looking good man. Can't wait to see the AWD rear fabbing. Be sure to take lots of pics of that. AWD will be the next adventure I go on perhaps.

starts probably 1st week of may. i'll make sure to get lots of pics and information

doncarbone Mar 29, 2014 04:14 PM

6 Attachment(s)
this weekend we got a jump on some of the work for the awd swap before it goes to the fabricator in may. few more problems came up but nothing too bad:

1. bracket is different for the rear transmission mount - so we'll have to get that from the Outlander (which unfortunately went back to the auto recycler a bit sooner than we would have liked, but im sure they can get us the part fast)

2. the cross-member on the Lancer doesnt leave enough room between it and the floor for the transfer case... we need to decide if (a) we source an EVO cross-member (no idea if this will fit and only cause more suspension related problems), or (b) see if the Outlander cross-member fits. sway bar will need to be changed on the front, and we'll have to divert a power steering line as it currently goes directly through where the t-case needs to go.

car's new home for a while...

Attachment 329882

motor and tranny dropped... decided to get rid of the A/C compressor as it's virtually useless and I also live in canada so i get free a/c

Attachment 331694

outlander transmission and transfer case

Attachment 331695

Attachment 331696

new clutch disc going in that's a little more 'forgiving'

Attachment 331697

new transmission and tcase bolted up.. so far so good, but we need that different rear tranny mount bracket

Attachment 329883

going to first see if my local auto recycler can get me that outlander front crossmember and we'll see if it that will at least fit, if not we can look at trying out the EVO crossmember (unless anyone knows for sure if it wont fit) because it's actually cheaper than the one from the outlander and i reckon will give better clearance