EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Project Cars / Build Threads (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/project-cars-build-threads-344/)
-   -   doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/project-cars-build-threads/651433-doncarbones-03-oz-rally-06-ralliart-engine-swap.html)

doncarbone Dec 23, 2013 11:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK (Post 11048570)
I would have also liked to do that swap, but I don't really have the facility yet...until I build a big ass shed (money) to keep the mower and junk. I also would need to still have my lancer ES, as a daily, but I needed the money after buying the mazda 5 (payments) and I just bought a 25ft sail boat, lol..

a 25ft sail boat lol? for on one of the great lakes!?!?

Originally Posted by Bhsj13 (Post 11050178)
Will be following this more. You have done a great job so far. Keep it up! I believe the GTX28 will suit your needs as it will spool nicely enough for street driving. Keep updates coming.

thanks - with the awd swap i'm going to go with the slightly bigger GT3071R - hackish recommends this over the GTX28, although he says both are good turbos for the 4G69, just the GT3071R is a bit better.

UPDATE, Dec 23:

So, it turns out the Outlander pictured above actually has 140,000km. I had been going through further negotiation and discussion with the auto recycler and finally decided to get a Carfax report on the VIN. Turns out they were wrong about their "22,000km". I'll give them the benefit of the doubt as he claims the number they thought was representative of the true kms traveled was written on the roof of the vehicle by whomever shipped it to their yard.

Things have gotten a bit more complicated because of this, though, as I already made a large deposit on that vehicle and they didn't seem inclined to give me a discount once I discovered the vehicle had about 120,000km more on it than previously thought.

So instead they've sourced this:

Attachment 332716

Attachment 332717

Attachment 332718

60,000km, 2006 Outlander SE (special edition, just a trim upgrade to the LS) - AWD, but automatic

Now I have to decide if I want to take this other Outlander instead, minus the auto transmission and have them send the manual transmission from the 140,000km vehicle to bolt up to the AWD parts from the 60,000km vehicle -___-

Will keep this updated as everything unfolds. Once we have the car we'll know exactly what we're up against.

doncarbone Dec 31, 2013 11:09 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Wondering if I can get some advice on whether to move forward with this vehicle + transmission.

The vehicle previously pictured turned out to have far more kms than what the recycler claimed it had, although now he's saying the 5spd awd transmission from there was rebuilt at less than 10,000km ago... pictured below.

Attachment 332657

Attachment 332658

Attachment 332659

Transmission pictured is from the 140,000km vehicle. The claim is this was rebuilt (although they haven't opened it).. "clean oil, fresh paint" (ya, by whom though lol).

I've included a few more pcitures below of the Automatic vehicle which i've confirmed other than the transmission itself, shares all the same AWD components as the manual vehicle - so we'll likely be stripping this one, i just don't know about that 5spd tranny...

Does anyone know if Mitsubishi manufactured any Outlanders (2005-06) in the US? CARFAX has nothing on the # kms of this vehicle or where it was manufactured. The last vehicle I checked it did say it was from Japan...

Attachment 332660

Attachment 332661

Attachment 332662

Attachment 332663

Attachment 332664

Attachment 332665

Attachment 332666

Archlegan Jan 1, 2014 10:36 AM

How are you planning to go about mounting the rear diff?

doncarbone Jan 1, 2014 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Archlegan (Post 11069057)
How are you planning to go about mounting the rear diff?

Until we have the Outlander we won't know for sure. We're anticipating having to fabricate a few custom brackets. This is the one definite grey area of the swap.

doncarbone Jan 5, 2014 05:45 PM

bit off topic from the AWD project, but something I want to begin thinking about...

down the road as has been the plan since day 1, im going to be turbocharging the 4G69 - but i need to make a decision over whether to rebuild the full 4G69, or mate the 4G63T EVO 9 cylinder head with my 4G69 shortblock...

ive created this thread here which highlights some of my expected costs going forward if i stick with the full 4g69 motor... i'm hoping a few of you might know some of the necessary/confirmed parts needed to perform the DOHC EVO 9 head swap into a 4G69 vehicle/chassis...

the evo 9 head swap might in the end be cheaper for me as i don't need to have any custom welding/fabricating done (lots of bolt-on options available), nor would i need to have the cylinder head rebuilt.

evo2809 Jan 13, 2014 06:22 AM

Awesome job man!!!, I'm really impressed, I will need your help when I start
witht he AWD project on the car. {thumbup}

doncarbone Jan 13, 2014 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by evo2809 (Post 11081312)
Awesome job man!!!, I'm really impressed, I will need your help when I start
witht he AWD project on the car. {thumbup}

thanks man - i should have the outlander by the end of January at which point i can start to identify, with certainty, just how difficult (or easy) this swap might be. good job on the body conversion. there have been a few attempts at this and yours is the only one that actually shows signs of promise. most look either terrible, or never get completed!!!

Resurrected RA Jan 15, 2014 10:02 AM

Subscribed! I once read that the 04/06 Sportback shares the pan as the same gen Outlander. In your research have you come across this? I may have dreamed this. I am looking forward to your outcome. Good luck!

Resurrected RA Jan 15, 2014 11:45 AM

I am going to research the importation of a CS5W 4WD, I believe you can import a cut car of any vintage into Canada. Mating the 1.8L drivetrain to the 2.4L may be a challenge, among others...

doncarbone Jan 17, 2014 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Resurrected RA (Post 11083965)
Subscribed! I once read that the 04/06 Sportback shares the pan as the same gen Outlander. In your research have you come across this? I may have dreamed this. I am looking forward to your outcome. Good luck!

I haven't come across this. To be honest i didn't even know the 1.8L CS5W existed, let alone a version of that chassis that came in 4WD. I think these were only released to the Asian and European markets, but I could be wrong. I live in Canada where the Outlander is easy to find. On my commute to or from work, I'll probably see, daily, as many as half a dozen Outlander SUVs of varying years. The 5spd AWD version is still quite rare though.

Originally Posted by Resurrected RA (Post 11084162)
I am going to research the importation of a CS5W 4WD, I believe you can import a cut car of any vintage into Canada. Mating the 1.8L drivetrain to the 2.4L may be a challenge, among others...

In my case, the 4G69 2.4L that I swapped into my OZ Rally is the same motor found in the 2004 to 2006 Outlanders so it's a simple swap (knock on wood). The transmissions are virtually the same.

EDIT; not sure on the costs to import from Japan, but that might be a viable option for some people. Most of what I'm using for my swap is used from a nearby auto recylcer. Just the 5spd awd transmission from that Outlander would cost $3k new from mitsuparts.net - that's basically the entire cost of the SUV im getting which has all the other things needed

Triad Jan 23, 2014 04:47 PM

I just read this whole thread.. All I can say is WOW! i love this build! please keep us updated. /subscribed

doncarbone Jan 25, 2014 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Triad (Post 11093169)
I just read this whole thread.. All I can say is WOW! i love this build! please keep us updated. /subscribed

thank you. will be updating the thread today as the outlander has arrived at the shop

doncarbone Jan 25, 2014 05:19 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Outlander was delivered this morning, stripped down with the exception of (most) of the parts we need for the swap:

Attachment 329879

Attachment 332469

It's clear now why the vehicle was written off. From the pictures the auto recycler sent me it was harder to see the severity of damage:

Attachment 332470

Few components delivered to us already removed:
- transmission, transfer case, front axles, driveshaft

Attachment 329880

Few other new parts sourced in preparation for the swap:
- new, less aggressive disc. 6-pad sprung versus my 4-pad unsprung which was becoming a pain for daily driving. Also included: Underhood AMS shift bushings and shift base bushings from beatrush:

Attachment 332471

------

Today we didn't dive into anything and my car is not at the shop yet. We're going to take out the remainder of the parts from the Outlander first. As of today, however; there are a few concerns:

1. Fuel concerns: The recycler did not include the full fuel tank assembly. We have virtually nothing but the tank itself so that was as bit of an oversight, perhaps, on their part. I'll need to get the main fuel pump, the opposite side pump and all electrical bits we'll need. Access points to both pumps from under the rear seats are already raising a few alarms as the single opening in the direct center on my car will serve no purpose. We are more than likely going to have to cut out two separate openings through the floor of my car for accessing the main pump, then the secondary pump on the opposite side which merely pumps gas over the molded runner for the prop shaft. We are not sure yet how we're going to deliver power to this secondary pump, and if the fuel gauge on my instrument panel will recognize fuel volume based on the new setup. Furthermore, the fuel lines themselves look a lot beefier on the Outlander. We're not sure yet if those are going to fit my car either.

2. Prop-shaft mounting: Haven't had a chance yet to check if there are pre-drilled holes for holding up the propeller shaft underneath my car. If there aren't, it's going to take more than simply drilling & using a nut/bolt. If my chassis was designed with zero consideration for AWD, we will need to do some custom fabricating on the vehicle floor to strengthen the points where the propshaft will be bolted. This could be a big job and if not done right could cause a lot of unwanted vibration.

3. Front axleshafts - the passenger side axleshaft which you can see laying on the floor in the picture above is quite different in design than the one used in the 4G69 ralliart which has the intermediary shaft. Length wise they appear, at a glance, to be similar, but we haven't yet done any measurements or side by side comparisons.

Hopefully within a week or so we'll have the remainder of the bits taken from the Outlander and my Lancer moved to the shop to start comparing.

doncarbone Jan 25, 2014 07:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
to expand a bit on item #1 regarding fuel:

I've looked at separate diagrams and there are certainly a few differences between the fuel system of the OZ Rally, the Ralliart and the AWD Outlander:
  1. Ralliart: return-less type system
  2. OZ Rally: return fuel system but otherwise identical to Ralliart
  3. Outlander AWD: Also a return-less system. Presence of a fuel gauge unit which tells the fuel pump to deliver fuel from opposite side of the tank. There is an additional sensor for this (believed to be MR556025), in conjunction with the entire unit itself that sits opposite the fuel pump on the other side of the tank: MN139857

Attachment 332468

Now this could cause some big problems for some obvious reasons:
  • Not sure how the 4G69 Ralliart ECU that's in the car now is going to handle delivering fuel from 'the dark side' by the fuel pump when the gauge unit requires it to.
  • I don't believe the harness in the vehicle now can account for the presence of that gauge unit (05145B in the 3rd picture)
  • There's no guarantee that the gauge cluster/instrument panel in my car now (which is actually from an EVO VIII) will read the fuel capacity correctly

Anyone know how we might attack this particular problem? I'm going to do some digging and see what I can find.

EDIT, to add: My future goal is to perform the DOHC EVO 9 head swap which would require the EVO 9 engine harness and ECM. I'm wondering if perhaps it'd make more sense to utilize the AWD tank in the Outlander now, but otherwise use all EVO 9 fuel components.... The 'return' line is still present in my car from when it was an OZ Rally..so we might be able to make use of that for the EVO setup...

doncarbone Jan 27, 2014 09:20 PM

My vehicle has been off the road for the winter (a. because i didn't want to put the car at any risk before even completing the project, and b. because i knew the car would be off the road for many months anyway as we attack the AWD swap)....... but today..............I got to drive it again :headbang:

I received a 24 hour permit to drive the car to the shop where we will be working on the AWD swap and it reminded me exactly why I'm motivated to do all this in the first place. I ended up driving it past the shop and up and down some hills for a good 30 minutes before deciding to finally park it :D ..unfortunately now for a good few more months :(

It was quite late by the time I got the car there and we won't have any definite answers on the compatibility of parts between the Lancer and Outlander until later this week, but things are now officially in motion and we should be comparing the two vehicles side by side within a few days.

------------

i tried to take a vid of the drive over but i couldn't hold my cellphone for **** but at least captured the sound:

SOUND 1: https://soundcloud.com/ramathorn1989/eeeee
SOUND 2: https://soundcloud.com/ramathorn1989...normal-driving

my shifting was a bit weak but it's been a good 4 months of driving a boring automatic :P. if this swap is a success i'll do a proper video