EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Project Cars / Build Threads (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/project-cars-build-threads-344/)
-   -   doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/project-cars-build-threads/651433-doncarbones-03-oz-rally-06-ralliart-engine-swap.html)

bakuro117 May 23, 2014 11:23 AM

I removed a bunch of sound deadening material from the back of my Eclipse. Hammer and chisel is what I had to use too. LOL

Looking good so far! Any updates over the last couple weeks?

doncarbone May 24, 2014 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by bakuro117 (Post 11215214)
I removed a bunch of sound deadening material from the back of my Eclipse. Hammer and chisel is what I had to use too. LOL

Looking good so far! Any updates over the last couple weeks?

Unfortunately the guy I paid to do the fabrication has been very busy and continues to need to postpone when we will have this done. His best estimate is the middle of June.

I'm trying to be patient as he's one of the few automotive welders/fabricators in my area who I am confident can do this properly.

xmaster19 May 24, 2014 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by doncarbone (Post 11215959)
Unfortunately the guy I paid to do the fabrication has been very busy and continues to need to postpone when we will have this done. His best estimate is the middle of June.

I'm trying to be patient as he's one of the few automotive welders/fabricators in my area who I am confident can do this properly.

Trying to take short cuts or cut corners will always end up with you needing to fix a 1000 things or you having to do it all over for a second time.

Patience is key if you want something built correctly/usable at all.

Hang in there, buddy.

doncarbone May 24, 2014 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by xmaster19 (Post 11216040)
Trying to take short cuts or cut corners will always end up with you needing to fix a 1000 things or you having to do it all over for a second time.

Patience is key if you want something built correctly/usable at all.

Hang in there, buddy.

Yep I agree. I have probably discussed the project now with about 10 different welders in my area; some of whom aren't even TIG welders who are accustomed to working on vehicles. The only 3 people I'm comfortable having do this are all specialized in building custom hot rods, but because they are all extremely good at what they do with customers throwing a lot more money at their projects than I am, I'm kind of having to take a back seat and wait.

Oh well... the time will come eventually and I'll make sure I get many, many pictures and explanations of what is involved.

JaMRxHanzoxOZ May 26, 2014 05:44 PM

Kinda my main question is, do you know if doing a swap with some good friends would be too difficult. I read up some more and found this

http://www.lltracing.com/dohc-conversion.html

With a whole kit like that and good tools you think it would be manageable? My friend has a shop and just pulled off his new Honda's motor for his 5 speed VTEC conversion. Other friend has his eclipse head off. This may be a route I would take.

doncarbone May 26, 2014 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by JaMRxHanzoxOZ (Post 11217221)
Kinda my main question is, do you know if doing a swap with some good friends would be too difficult. I read up some more and found this

http://www.lltracing.com/dohc-conversion.html

With a whole kit like that and good tools you think it would be manageable? My friend has a shop and just pulled off his new Honda's motor for his 5 speed VTEC conversion. Other friend has his eclipse head off. This may be a route I would take.

the 4G69 swap is pretty easy all things considered. from that point the DOHC swap from an EVO 9 or EVO 8 isn't too bad either, technically, but is expensive if you don't get good deals on parts and buy used. i paid $200 for a used EVO 9 ecu, whereas the auto recycler basically tossed in the Ralliart (4G69) ecu for free when I bought the motor. EVO parts are basically 2+ times more money.

JaMRxHanzoxOZ May 26, 2014 11:19 PM

Well this site has the 4G92 Engine that wasn't made in america. Its a direct FWD 2.4 MiVEC bolt on. No need to add the awd difficulties into the process. Comes with everything I would need supposedly. I've been talking to someone from LLT on Facebook about what this all entails. He said it includes all the parts necessary.

doncarbone May 27, 2014 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by JaMRxHanzoxOZ (Post 11217422)
Well this site has the 4G92 Engine that wasn't made in america. Its a direct FWD 2.4 MiVEC bolt on. No need to add the awd difficulties into the process. Comes with everything I would need supposedly. I've been talking to someone from LLT on Facebook about what this all entails. He said it includes all the parts necessary.

I don't know much at all about the 4G92, I know it's quite an old motor and I imagine a lot more difficult to find than the 4G69 (which i think might actually be the most mass-produced block Mitsubishi ever made...). So there's that to take into account if you decide to go through with this. Where I am in Canada my options are fewer, but fortunately the 4G69 is easy to come by.

If you can get a hold of the DOHC version of the 4G92, maybe it'd be a worthwhile upgrade. Someone here I'm sure can provide pros and cons of going this route.

The 4G69 2.4 that I swapped into my car, by the way, is more commonly used with a FWD transmission than with AWD... In fact the AWD version is quite rare and to my knowledge only available in the Mitsubishi Outlander (and if you want 5spd, you only have a 2005 or 2006 Outlander to choose from).

I had the FWD transmission in my car for about a year before I decided to go for broke and try out the AWD swap.

JaMRxHanzoxOZ May 27, 2014 09:56 PM

And the 4G69 engine, is a DOHC MiVEC? What did you need to source out other than that motor? Should I just read your thread haha. I'm hoping that I can snag a list of things. I'm awful when it comes to engine work.

JaMRxHanzoxOZ May 27, 2014 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by doncarbone (Post 10761779)
SPAL radiator fans arrived today.

P/S pump + hoses and the correct motor mount from Mitsubishi should be here tomorrow :D

I've been reading this whole thing (bored at work, I work nights 1030-630am) but yeah all you really needed were the 4g69 parts and the rrm motor mounts with a ralliart #6 upper mount? There is no chance of using a 94 tranny? Could I just order the set of them for the ralliart off rrm? Or is it only one. And what... is a P/S pump... lmao

doncarbone May 28, 2014 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by JaMRxHanzoxOZ (Post 11218380)
I've been reading this whole thing (bored at work, I work nights 1030-630am) but yeah all you really needed were the 4g69 parts and the rrm motor mounts with a ralliart #6 upper mount? There is no chance of using a 94 tranny? Could I just order the set of them for the ralliart off rrm? Or is it only one. And what... is a P/S pump... lmao

4G69 is SOHC, but the EVO 8/9 (DOHC) head will bolt up to the 4G69; just as it does to the 4G64 (in fact it's far less of a headache bolting up an EVO head to the 4G69 as it is to the 4G64 despite how much more popular the 4G64 is).

For the 4G69, I needed the ancillary components as the 4G94 accessories require a 4 rib belt, whereas the 4G69 uses 5 rib. This is a bit of a pain and one of the disappointing factors of this particular swap. You could probably convert the 4G94 accessories to work with a 4-rib if you sourced the right pulleys, and I can't remember but you might also need new brackets too for mounting, but for what it was worth, I just sourced a used Ralliart P/S pump (power steering pump), used A/C compressor (which has since been removed), and bought a new alternator.

Only the passenger side upper mount needs to be sourced as far as motor mounts go. The rest of the mounts between the 4G94 and 4G69 are the same.

You'll need the throttle position sensor and cables as the 4G69 has an electronically controlled throttle body which the 4G94 does not.

You will also need the 4G69 ECU and engine harness.

A 4G94 transmission will not bolt up to the 4G69 either as far as I know.

xmaster19 May 29, 2014 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by JaMRxHanzoxOZ (Post 11217422)

I wouldn't do all that work and spend all that money for 10hp and quite a lot less torque from the smaller displacement. Want something revvier than a 4G69?? Destroke the 4G69 and voilà!

Seriously, the RA's torque make it really easy to drive in city, perfect for a DD. I live in the mountains so there is always a hill to climb. I wouldn't want to lose that.

Also, I'd be curious to see how much the tall gear ratios of the trans work with a smaller engine. The 4G92 has 39 lb.ft of torque less than the 4G69, don't know how well that would do with the RA trans gearing...

doncarbone May 30, 2014 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by xmaster19 (Post 11219319)
I wouldn't do all that work and spend all that money for 10hp and quite a lot less torque from the smaller displacement. Want something revvier than a 4G69?? Destroke the 4G69 and voilà!

Seriously, the RA's torque make it really easy to drive in city, perfect for a DD. I live in the mountains so there is always a hill to climb. I wouldn't want to lose that.

I agree with everything xmaster is saying here. If you are going to spend quite a lot of time and money doing a full engine swap, you might as well swap in a platform that is going to give you quite a significant bump in power orelse it's not really worth it.

MaxG_R//A06 Jun 7, 2014 02:25 PM

I was searching randomly on Google and found out about your project...mad props for your OZ, the cleanest OZ I saw to date...I red all thoses 16 pages, that is an amazing walkthrough and a lot of quality info, you say that you ditched the a/c, my question is what type of belt did you use to still work with the auto tensioner ,I'm ditching the A/C too even tho it's gonna hot as hell in Montreal this summer.

xmaster19 Jun 8, 2014 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by MaxG_R//A06 (Post 11227362)
I was searching randomly on Google and found out about your project...mad props for your OZ, the cleanest OZ I saw to date...I red all thoses 16 pages, that is an amazing walkthrough and a lot of quality info, you say that you ditched the a/c, my question is what type of belt did you use to still work with the auto tensioner ,I'm ditching the A/C too even tho it's gonna hot as hell in Montreal this summer.

:beer:{thumbup}:beer: