Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

LeftBehind's 2003 Evo VIII - *Tune In Progress*

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LeftBehind's 2003 Evo VIII - *Tune In Progress*

Hello everybody! I figured I would start a journal for my car. I'm coming from the Subaru world. I had an STI for a little over three years, and was in the process of buying another one (RSTI) when a friend asked if I was interested in an Evo. I figured what the hell, I'll take a stroll on the other side.

I purchased the car in December 2012. Some of you may recognize the car. I never thought I would own a black car, but once I saw it in person, I had to have it.

It was a ONE owner, garaged all its life, no accident car! I bought it with a brand new motor (0 miles), and began the break in process!

2003 Tarmac Black Evolution VIII GSR

Goals:
My main goal is to do a few HPDE's this season. I'd like that to be the main priority. As I progress, I want to slowly change parts on the car to better the experience on the track. I wanted to race my Subaru, but never got around to it unfortunately. I also wanted a car that would be fun on the street. I have a bike as well, so I am curious to see which one I use more once it gets nicer out and am not using my Accord as much.

Build List (as of 2/16/2013):

Motor: (built by Jim Justice)
4G63 Block punched .020 over with O Rung Deck
OEM 2.0L Crank
GRP Rods
ACL Race Series Bearings std/std
CP 9:1 Pistons
ARP Main Studs
ARP L19 Headstuds
OEM Oil Pump
Balance Shaft Delete Kit
New Hydraulic Tensioner
Evo IX Headgasket
Headgames Ported Cylinder Head - BC Springs / Retainers
BC 280 Cams
Stock Intake Manifold
HKS Kevlar Timing Belt

Turbo:
Blouch .50/35r Hybrid T3 Turbo

Supporting Mods:
CBRD Radiator
Full 3" Turboback
Tial External Wastegate
Buschur UICP
Precision 1000cc Injectors
Walbro 255lph
STM Oil Cooler
ETS 3.5" Intercooler
Tial BOV
Hallman MBC
Omnipower 4 Bar MAP
Grimmspeed 3-Port EBCS
Torque Solution Motor Mounts
Mini-Battery

Trans/Transfer Case:
Shep Refreshed Transmission
TRE Transfer Case
Competition Clutch Twin Disc
Torque Solution Transmission Mount

Suspension:
Tein H Front Springs
Tein S Rear Springs

Exterior:
Gunmetal Work Meister S2 w/ Polished Lip - 18x9 +35 (Summer Wheels)
Gold XXR 527s - 17x8.25 +25 (Winter Wheels)
JDM Rear Bumper
De-winged Trunk (still have stock wing as well)
Do Luck Replica Front Lip
Rexspeed Type 1 Carbon Fiber Trunk Lip
Rexspeed Side Spats / Vortex Generator
Rexspeed Carbon Rear Extensions / Carbon Ducts

Interior:
Radio Relocation Kit
AEM UEGO / Boost / Oil Pressure - Digital Gauges

Tune In Progress:
Tuning by tscompusa
Tephra v7 - Speed Density

Last edited by Leftbehind126; Feb 16, 2013 at 06:09 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:35 AM

Right after the new motor went in:

First time I got to see her shine. The car was dirty from sitting. This was after a quick 5 minute wash.

Engine shot.

Interior after relocating the radio/installing the gauges.

The car had never seen snow... until now.

The cars current status:

Last edited by Leftbehind126; Feb 18, 2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:36 AM

My thoughts so far:

This car is a blast so far! I came from a 431whp STI, and so far I have not been disappointed. The steering response feels so much better/quicker than the STI did. Tom (tscompusa) has been working on the tune, and I am more than pleased with how it's going so far! The twin disc clutch is kicking my *** still, but I'm slowly getting used to it. Not sure how I feel about the 5-speed yet. I really enjoyed the 6-speed in the Subaru. I tend to frequent a road with a 50mph speed limit; 5th gear feels to sluggish and low rpm, but 4th seems too high. I've only put about 900 miles on the car so far, but I am pretty happy so far!

Once the weather gets warmer and there is no snow/salt on the roads, I am going to have the car professionally detailed (in and out). I am also going to clean up the Meister wheels so they look nice as well.

I'm enjoying the car so much, I decided to make a replica in Forza.

Last edited by Leftbehind126; Feb 16, 2013 at 06:11 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:15 AM

That pretty much brings me up to today!

Tom slowly has me cranking up the boost, but I am to a point where I was getting some hesitation. We're pretty confident it's the plugs. I ordered a Spoolin' Up COP and fresh plugs to put on the car ASAP. They shipped and are on their way.

I was on the fence about the COP. I have read awesome things about it, but wasn't sure if it was needed at this point. With all the pros that come with it, I figured I may as well do it. Pretty excited to do the next pull!
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks good man very nice set up.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Tom will get you squared away, in for results
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Nice car good luck
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:46 AM

Thanks guys!

The COP/Plugs should be here on Tuesday. I'm going to try to install them same day and attempt a pull. I'm pretty excited!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:20 AM

I'm tempted to ditch this clutch. I can't stand the damn thing. I love the car, but having to deal with this bull**** when I take off from a stop kills it for me. I can't do it without getting wheel hop. I've tried adjusting the pedal but unfortunately it did not help.

I can deal with the elephant noise. I can deal with the decel noise. I can't take much more of this wheel hop though. And it's not just me. I've had three people attempt to drive the car, all of which couldn't believe how horrible the clutch felt.

Any suggestions?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

double check the adjustment.. if its right, then thats just the clutch mine wasnt too bad.. but the adjustment was off.. so i can say 100% if i like it or not.. the way it was.. not really
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:21 PM

Whoo! These came today! The weather hasn't been too nice today so I am going to see about installing them tomorrow. Then hopefully I'll do a pull and have no hesitation!

Originally Posted by jmcmill3
double check the adjustment.. if its right, then thats just the clutch mine wasnt too bad.. but the adjustment was off.. so i can say 100% if i like it or not.. the way it was.. not really
I'll double check it tomorrow after I do the install. I'm hoping it helps, but I don't want to get my hopes up yet.

Did you have the same clutch? Was there anything you didn't like about it?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:25 AM

Just got done the install. (Spoolin Up COP and fresh plugs.) Wow! I figured that while boosting it may have a beneficial effect and that all that talk of, "smoother at low RPM" stuff was a placebo effect. I was wrong though. The car idles better, drives better, and doesn't buck a little when slight throttle is applied. They were definitely worth the money!

I also tried to readjust the clutch some more. Seriously wasn't expecting it to work, but there is definitely an improvement. I think if I adjust it just a tad more, I'll be set.

Buuut! Now that I'm getting the clutch to work better, something else goes wrong. After the pull, my boost gauge will only read 0 regardless of vacuum/boost. I checked the lines to the boost controller, wastegate, and looked for anything out of place but couldn't find anything. I'll have to double check the sensor/sender, but I don't see how that would randomly unclip itself. The gauge was bought brand new two months ago. I work nights and am running on empty. I need some sleep so I threw in the towel for now. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:13 PM

I overlooked one of the lines in the bay. Plugged it back in, made sure it was tight, and everything worked fine afterwards.

Back to tuning!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Leftbehind126

I'll double check it tomorrow after I do the install. I'm hoping it helps, but I don't want to get my hopes up yet.

Did you have the same clutch? Was there anything you didn't like about it?
yes, i have the same clutch. I didnt like the high engagement, but that was from it not being adjusted properly. It was a pita in traffic, but it was also a pain w/ the act solid 6puck as well.. i dont think there is any really good "all around" clutches with this car
Old Mar 2, 2013, 01:16 AM

I've been able to do 3 pulls successfully with no issue. I'm nearing the end of the tune, so hopefully I'll have some numbers/dyno for you guys! The car feels amazing though!

I wish warmer weather would get here sooner! I want to get the exterior/interior cleaned up badly, but I want to wait until it's somewhat nice out.

Last edited by Leftbehind126; Mar 3, 2013 at 07:57 PM.

Quick Reply: LeftBehind's 2003 Evo VIII - *Tune In Progress*