Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo IV build sleeper

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2013, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Alloy intercooler pipes came today perfect fit for evo iv and all ready to go were second hand but nicely done, also a got a 2nd hand intercooler a bit wider so shes already to get dropped at the dyno tuners im a bit nervous will be pretty upset if doesn't make atleast 200kw at the wheels should be easy though really going to push it up to 18psi.

Also am starting a forged block rebuild for the evo just trying to source a good price evo 5-8 block so am on the lookout if anyone has one just after a block and cradle.

Have sourced crank, je pistons and eagle conrods for very cheap found a great guy to do it in manurewa so fingers crossed can find a block asap.

So put I.C pipes in and new recurculating bov and kinugawa turbo lines then see how she goes on the dyno.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 09:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
who the guy building it in Auckland ? I gota top notch guy in palmy that is great and well priced and closer to you
Old Jun 3, 2013, 05:00 AM

Have started the process for my bottom end forged rebuild evo 5 upward block.

Today purchased 4 mint JE Pistons, Eagle Conrods, Crankshaft for $750NZD those are used but barely are in mint order.

Engine builder is sourcing the block for me am not in a rush as want to locate the best one can find and is getting harder to find them now.

ACL big end bearings and main bearings and thrusts
new ring set
bottom end gasket and seal kit
new water pump
arp main stud kit
surface block
hone/bore block
acid bath block
modify oil pump
assemble shortblock
Engine builder is supplying oil squirters, sump, baffle, oil pump and bolts and so on
Removing balance shafts and making stub shaft so no risk of shaft seizure

Parts and machining and assembly - $1950NZD
Sourcing a block hopefully 500 - 600NZD

So about $2500 all up for a forged rebuild bottom end!!

Car went to dynotech today to get intercooler piping fitted, new bov fitted, hardrace gearbox and engine mounts fitted and turbo braided oil and water lines fitted, and getting a dynotune since new turbo was put on may also be getting a RAGE front pipe fingers crossed over 200kw be happy at the wheels.

Evo IV build sleeper-051.jpg
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:17 AM

are you using acl racing bearings?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 03:17 AM

When doing the forged rebuild i will be using acl yes
Old Jun 4, 2013, 03:20 AM

Engine mounts are all put getting new inserts pressed and intercooler pipes are now on what a mish they werent even the right ones. Bov on tomorrow and new mounts and also purchased a 3 " front pipe rage brand then tomorow nite shud get onto the dyno
Old Jun 4, 2013, 09:03 AM
Account Disabled

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very interesting build buddy

Renato
Team TWM Performance
Old Jun 5, 2013, 03:49 AM

Okay, so engine and gearbox mounts are in, 3" front pipe rage, decat pipe and recirculating bov.
Put on dyno today and made 205kw!!! at the hubs on 18psi so very very happy with the result.
Its actually a bit quieter as its free flowing and didn't knock or detonate once running absolutely mint.
Runs so smooth.
Pulls rather hard made about 40kw more then last dyno and heaps more torque will get a video up of running and photos of the dyno print also.
Unfortunately I missed the dyno run as I was at work but nonetheless a good result I am happy with.
As it is also a very reliable daily driver.

Same guy doing my forged block rebuild is going to do my cylinder head rebuild: strip head, bead blast inlet and exhaust ports and combustion chamber, acid bath and surface skim, clean and reface all valves, cut valve seats, reassemble with new valve stem seals, most places charge around $550 nzd am getting it done for $350nzd. will blook brand new when finished includes crack test and hardness test.

Have decided 250kw at the wheels is my final goal after forged rebuild bottom end and rebuild cylinder head, bore throttle body, aftermarket exhaust manifold and dump pipe, then a turbo kinugawa turbo upgrade am hoping to achieve just that.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:33 AM

you should be able to get that on a stock bottom end
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pinups
you should be able to get that on a stock bottom end
I'm making that on a stock bottom end @ 20psi
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by GregM
I'm making that on a stock bottom end @ 20psi
will save you a lot of coin dude , head work is where the power comes from

Last edited by pinups; Jun 6, 2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 02:54 AM
Evolving Member

Evo 4 to 8 carry the same 4663 block , just putting it out there . So finding a block shouldnt b that hard , but nice build cant wait for the end results .
Old Jun 6, 2013, 03:48 AM

Hey guys thanks for your comments i might be a little more pedantic then most people, i will put my dyno page up when when i scan onto computer but at the moment to clarify has stock engine, 3" exhaust, std extractors and o2 housing, alloy air intake and cold air box, yellowjacket coils, 500hp fuel pump, evo 6 ecu and injectors. Evo 7 rs turbo, on 18psi thats all no other mods, keep in mind that was done on a dyna pack way more accurate then rolling road, on a rolling roadbe more like 230kw at the wheels, results as follows: 339.267 nm, 129.4 kms, 5003rpm peak torque...../// 205.216kw, 168.3km/h, 6506rpm- power. I thought this was pretty good. I am all about reliability rather then raw power as i drive this daily including a 12 hour trip every week so needs be reliable will put dyno graph up soon as possible. The forged rebuild bottom end is because can get it same price nearly as std rebuild, and am rebuilding head.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by flabber
Evo 4 to 8 carry the same 4663 block , just putting it out there . So finding a block shouldnt b that hard , but nice build cant wait for the end results .
Hi flabber, yes i know but finding someone that wants to sell me only the block is hard.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 03:54 AM

Have already purchased set of je forgedpistons, eagle conrods, crankshaft and evo 9 oil pump, also new oversied zero tick lifters.

Quick Reply: Evo IV build sleeper