Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Just got my first car and I bought a 03 oz rally automatic and would like help/advice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2022, 08:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just got my first car and I bought a 03 oz rally automatic and would like help/advice

Shes not perfect but shes mine and she runs great

After i painted the grill black/wrapped the mirrors.

It is automatic unfortunately but I love it none the less the only thing that isn't stock are the tail lights and it has after market headers although I don't kno what kind.. I've always wanted a Japanese tuner to teach myself how to work on an engine and create somthing original and somthing that I just can't wait to get in and drive I don't want anything crazy just somthing fun to take to the mountains and to the track every now and then but also daily drive the motor is in good shape as far as I kno it's been well taken care of but it does have 200k miles on it my plans are to start creating content involving the car and travel and my family. Any advice/critism is very welcome 🙏 what can I do to start getting ti know my machine and figure out what I'm dealing with and where to go from there..
The following users liked this post:
codgi (Jul 11, 2022)
Old Jul 7, 2022, 09:00 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing how this project goes.

My advice would be to get yourself a copy of the factory service manual. I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be too hard for you to find on the interwebs. Then familiarize yourself with the maintenance schedule. Compare that against what you have proof of being done. Then go to work getting it all caught up where it should be. While you are at it you can be looking for leaks, cracked dust boots, leaking struts/shocks, tire wear (alignment) etc. Once you are confident you have the cars mechanical condition stabilized you can start to really think about where you want to go with it.

If you want to skip ahead to more advanced stuff, ecuflash and tactrix openport 2.0 is what you want to start looking into for ecu tuning.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 05:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by OzBlake

Shes not perfect but shes mine and she runs great

After i painted the grill black/wrapped the mirrors.

It is automatic unfortunately but I love it none the less the only thing that isn't stock are the tail lights and it has after market headers although I don't kno what kind.. I've always wanted a Japanese tuner to teach myself how to work on an engine and create somthing original and somthing that I just can't wait to get in and drive I don't want anything crazy just somthing fun to take to the mountains and to the track every now and then but also daily drive the motor is in good shape as far as I kno it's been well taken care of but it does have 200k miles on it my plans are to start creating content involving the car and travel and my family. Any advice/critism is very welcome 🙏 what can I do to start getting ti know my machine and figure out what I'm dealing with and where to go from there..
I got a 02 oz rally as well. If you want to make it fun then rebuild the entire engine and throw better rods and pistions and everything. If not that route then throw the ralliart engine. It's from the 06 lancer and has mivec. Rebuild that motor and use a slightly bigger turbo and your good.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 06:58 AM
Account Disabled

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
good luck with your project buddy

Last edited by harry wilson; Jul 11, 2022 at 06:52 PM.