Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

2014 Evo X GSR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2014, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Looking good!
Old Oct 13, 2014, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nicely done
Old Oct 14, 2014, 03:39 AM

What to do next..

Originally Posted by aggieEVO
Looking good!
Originally Posted by WWGSR
Nicely done

Thanks

-----------------------

So I've been thinking about getting the AMS short block, either 2.2 or 2.4 and possibly the Cosworth CNC head if things go well on this deployment.

I haven't done much research yet because I'm still a good ways from coming home and have been busy with work so if anyone has any advice it's more than welcome. I would either sell my long block or put it to the side, not sure yet. Turbo upgrade is still being looked into but I'd like to decide on 2.2 or 2.4 before I choose my turbo.

I'd like the car to be a DD if necessary but I don't plan on being a DD. As stated in 1st post I'm shooting for 500+awhp and 425+tq and I plan on taking it to the track a handful of times a year (AutoX, not drag), maybe more if it turns out well.

- About how much $ could I get for my long block + turbo? Engine has less than 5,000 miles and has not been tracked or raced. Just some spirited driving here and there.

- Is there anyone who knows a better price on these?

- How much power can the stock block and/or turbo take? (I know I know.. I'm going to catch crap on that because I haven't researched it myself yet just give me a break)

... or should I just get my CE28Ns and focus more on suspension and other stuff?

Last edited by Kindawanapokeya; Oct 14, 2014 at 03:42 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:25 PM

Very tastefully modded, nicely done!
Old Jul 2, 2016, 04:43 PM

Long overdue update

It's due for a year and a half-ish update. Needless to say things have been busy, put the car in storage, moved to the west coast, and when I am on the east coast I'm traveling visiting family with little down time.

March-ish 2015
- @ Roughly 7000 miles (??)

I took it to Mach V Motorsports in Sterling, VA. Mainly a Subaru place but it was closest and most convenient AWD Dyno (Dynojet) and had an ok experience. They ran into a fuel issues. They mentioned the fuel relay but I told them I already upgraded it. After a while they got it figured out (I can't remember, too long ago).

Installed at Dyno:
- AMS high flow cat; removed test pipe (I figured the cat because I don't know where I will register the car vs the minimal gains)
- Grimmspeed 3 port EBCS
- FP wastegate actuator

Dyno'd at 342 awhp @ 6750, 339 ft/lbs tq @ 3500. Good enough for where I'm at with the car for now.

I ended up putting it in storage and moved to the west coast and with being gone for work I didn't get to drive it much besides visiting family due to work, mostly highway miles.

July 2016 - @ 15,xxx miles

After leaving it and not ever getting a chance to really work on it, I finally got a little bit of time and got back to the east coast and had a few minor things I had been meaning to do.

Debadged the trunk
I left "Evolution" for now. We'll see how I like it.

Name:  IMG_1442.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  196.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1446.jpg
Size:  236.8 KB

Amber side markers

Before

Name:  IMG_1435.jpg
Size:  204.7 KB

After

Name:  IMG_1437.jpg
Size:  217.3 KB

Yellow Fog Lights

Name:  IMG_1449.jpg
Size:  151.5 KB

35% tint + Weathertech Rain Guards

Name:  IMG_1464.jpg
Size:  188.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1459.jpg
Size:  192.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1461.jpg
Size:  178.6 KB

I have an A pillar dual guage pod for my boost guage and wideband. Not installed yet. Maybe after I return in a few months along with some suspension upgrades. Looking at the DSG suspension package, but I hate buying 'kits' for some reason.

I'm still shopping around for some rims. Leaning towards the CE28N in bronze to look something like this

Last edited by Kindawanapokeya; Dec 12, 2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:01 AM

Another long overdue update

Been busy with moving back to the east coast and work so this is a bit of a catch up on whats been happening over the last year or so.

Bought a house in the spring of '17. Bought a 2nd car and now the evo just gets driven occasionally. Having a garage now gives me space to do the suspension kit I bought about fall of '16.

June 2017 21,760 miles
Oil Change (Royal Purple) + Filter (K&N)
Transmission fluid changed with redline cocktail. Nothing unusual.

Installed

-Dual pod a Pillar
-Tanabe Boost Guage
-AEM wideband

- DSG Edition Fortune Auto 500 Series Coilovers
- Whiteline Roll Center Correction Assembly
- Whiteline Rear Camber Control Arm
- Whiteline Sway Bar w/ Alloy Lateral Lock 27mm (1") ID Kit - Universal
- Whiteline Sway Bar w/ Alloy Lateral Lock 27mm (1") ID Kit - Universal

- Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bar End Links (Sway Bars + Endlink BMK010 Kit)

Front sway bar was a pain in the *** (dropping the subframe). I ended up taking the ball joints to a shop to get pressed in/out and one of the sway bar end links had to be torched to get off. Besides that it wasn't too terribly bad...

Sep 2017 22,5xx miles
New tires all around Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 255/40/18

Oct 2017 23,000 miles
Installed
Carbontrix carbon fiber duckbill style trunk. Third brake light did not line up. It sat 1/2" too low and a few 1/16th's too shallow. Ended up cutting the tabs off the ends and securing with silicone. The Driver side gap seems a little bit more than passenger side, but other than that it fit well enough.

Last edited by Kindawanapokeya; Oct 18, 2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks nice and clean, tastefully done. How do you like the DSG edition coilovers? I'm really interested in a set. There arent many reviews on them that I can find.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by gazzer
Looks nice and clean, tastefully done. How do you like the DSG edition coilovers? I'm really interested in a set. There arent many reviews on them that I can find.
THB, it was a nice upgrade (the kit as a whole) over the Eibach spings I had. The price seemed right for what it's competing against. And I am currently living in VA so I can have them rebuilt close by (I think anyways?). I don't have much to compare it to though. The only other guy I know (since I moved) that has an Evo was on springs and just sold his for a mustang a few months ago. I don't actually drive it much anymore, only ~750 miles since I instaled them most of it has been highway. I adjusted it to be about in the middle and it feels a bit stiffer than stock, left it there for now. I'll try harder/softer settings later in the spring.

I'd still purchase the kit as a whole, but if I was going to actually look at taking it to a track more than every now and then, I'd probably go with the Ohlins. From what I hear/read people are pretty happy with them.

It really depends on what you plan to do with it.

Last edited by Kindawanapokeya; Dec 20, 2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by gazzer
I'll pull them off and sell them to you... I think I just decided to buy an M3 hahaha (semi serious).
Old Jan 7, 2018, 03:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindawanapokeya
I'll pull them off and sell them to you... I think I just decided to buy an M3 hahaha (semi serious).
I actually went ahead and bought a set, Looking forward to installing them this spring. Thanks any way though.
M3 is really nice! It has the evo beat in creature comforts thats for sure. Best of luck.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 05:53 PM

sold 1/18