Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

2001 Mirage Building help.

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Mirage Building help.

Live here in the US...

Picked up an 01 Mirage, 1.8, Automatic for the cheap.

Mostly as new daily driver to get to work and back and to the store.

For most part pretty good little car, just a little gutless is all.

First import of any kind for me to own and play with, and info seems
to be here and there, and a bit times confusing on the info out there.

I figure from reading around, I can do a turbo install on it, with e85,
up the injectors, 255 pump, good size intercooler and keep the boost
at a tame level to make it a fun little ride and not feel scared to merge
on the highway.

Not looking for 1/4 mile record setting but looking for some fun. My son may not
be medically clear to get a drivers license, but he has lived at the track with me his whole life,
so this may double up as a car he can take down the track a few times once I am comfy with that.
He turns 16 soon... so maybe by time he's 17 or so, we can re-evaluate this choice..

So for a Mitsu newb that I am... gonna need some helping hands here. I am a GM 3800 v6 guy..

Lets guesstimate 200-250 crank HP. (I know its an auto.. already got a spare being worked)

I have another Tactrix tuner on order (first one got stolen out of car) ... But when I did
have it, it would READ the ECU, but no mappings or anything to edit it. Struck out for months
on this. Told an 2002 Lancer AT ? will work fine? I am not budging on anything until I can
tune this thing myself.

Injector wise, for the guesstimated crank HP with e85 needing more fuel, what injectors
to go with, leaving a bit of head room. Don't like being near static and like my injector duty
cycles in good shape.

Stuffing the turbo in there isn't a big issue, but when it comes to PCV, how is that delt with?
Just plug a hole somewhere, run a breather, and call it day? or any other better methods?

Anyways, I'd like to move this on pretty quick if possible... So my hurdles are this

1) Tune the thing.
2) Injectors
3) PCV

Any help for the new guy to get his crap built up a little here?

Last edited by jdredd; May 4, 2015 at 06:25 PM.
Old May 4, 2015, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not with that 1.8... You would need to 4gXX swap it. Its been done, do a bit of searching..
Old May 4, 2015, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by STLEVOIX
Not with that 1.8... You would need to 4gXX swap it. Its been done, do a bit of searching..
well.. if 4G93 SOHC fits your 4gXX requirement... already done? as thats what it has
stock. I have been searching. Enough have done stock engine + turbo builds to make it not a one off.

Done searching.. plenty of it. But lots of conflicting or very little if any info at all.

Not many do jack with these guys, vs the 4g63 .. i know that. Tons of info there, but struggle to find good writeups, details instructions,
layouts, diagrams, whatever when it comes to the 4g93

Last edited by jdredd; May 4, 2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old May 4, 2015, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Hey JD! Nice to see someone else from KY on here!

I hate to say it but if its not a 4g63 your probably not going to find a lot of good writeups, detailed instructions, layouts, or diagrams. We have the same problem with the 4g69.

Best advice I can give you is either wade thru the success stories you find and see what works.

I will tell you this, because I was wanting to get a black 2001 mirage coupe off a guy I know one time. There are quite a few quick 4g69 mirages down in Puerto Rico. I havent seen many in the states but that tiny car with a torquey 2.4l sounds like a lot of fun to me.

But if your wanting boost its going to take a lot of research to build a game plan. If I find anything decent while im poking around I'll post it here for you though!

EDIT:

Ok heres some stuff I found.

Apparently the 4g94 is a very similar engine. So checking the base model lancer forums might provide you with some decent info. There are a lot of turbo'd base model guys.

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforu...g93-turbo.html - Ideas on parts you might want to look into.

http://www.rpw.com.au/index.php?opti...les&Itemid=655 - RPW's build.

http://www.evocoupe.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5905 - Some of the more helpful info I found on this page:
-On the CE 4G93 SOHC, max boost you wanna run is 10psi.
-You will need some sort of fuel management. RPW claims that they can reflash the stock ECU now, so may be something to look into. Otherwise standalone, or standalone wired in piggyback mode (controlling only fuel and ignition).
-CM5A 390cc injectors. Direct bolt in. High Impedance (i think) and no wiring changes needed. May be able to track a set down for you.
-Boost control. Maybe a bleed valve to get up to 10psi if you want, otherwise leave it at wastegate pressure.
-Auto trans control - NFI. But you will want to run an external oil cooler for your tranny.

https://www.designengineering.com/fi...spa/090341.pdf - turbo manifold

I would think that the ECU should be reflashable... Im not entirely sure yet. If I find anything tomorrow I'll post again.

Last edited by bakuro117; May 4, 2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old May 4, 2015, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by bakuro117
Hey JD! Nice to see someone else from KY on here!

I hate to say it but if its not a 4g63 your probably not going to find a lot of good writeups, detailed instructions, layouts, or diagrams. We have the same problem with the 4g69.

Best advice I can give you is either wade thru the success stories you find and see what works.

I will tell you this, because I was wanting to get a black 2001 mirage coupe off a guy I know one time. There are quite a few quick 4g69 mirages down in Puerto Rico. I havent seen many in the states but that tiny car with a torquey 2.4l sounds like a lot of fun to me.

But if your wanting boost its going to take a lot of research to build a game plan. If I find anything decent while im poking around I'll post it here for you though!

EDIT:

Ok heres some stuff I found.

Apparently the 4g94 is a very similar engine. So checking the base model lancer forums might provide you with some decent info. There are a lot of turbo'd base model guys.

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforu...g93-turbo.html - Ideas on parts you might want to look into.

http://www.rpw.com.au/index.php?opti...les&Itemid=655 - RPW's build.

http://www.evocoupe.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5905 - Some of the more helpful info I found on this page:
-On the CE 4G93 SOHC, max boost you wanna run is 10psi.
-You will need some sort of fuel management. RPW claims that they can reflash the stock ECU now, so may be something to look into. Otherwise standalone, or standalone wired in piggyback mode (controlling only fuel and ignition).
-CM5A 390cc injectors. Direct bolt in. High Impedance (i think) and no wiring changes needed. May be able to track a set down for you.
-Boost control. Maybe a bleed valve to get up to 10psi if you want, otherwise leave it at wastegate pressure.
-Auto trans control - NFI. But you will want to run an external oil cooler for your tranny.

https://www.designengineering.com/fi...spa/090341.pdf - turbo manifold

I would think that the ECU should be reflashable... Im not entirely sure yet. If I find anything tomorrow I'll post again.
Ya 4g63 has all the love... nothing new to me there.

I've done hunting around on Mirage forums.. some good stuff there, but most it seems is build is complete posts... or little to no build progress details.

On the manifold deal ya found that and a china knock off deals. Possibly do my own manifold log style, but either way solutions out there already.

I figure I can read the ECU just fine... it seems their are variants of the manual versions of these that are editable just fine. I'd rather keep away from piggy back and stand alones at all
possible and keep with stock ECU flashing.

Boost wise, ya 10psi, give or take a bit, is about right. e85 being available all around me, will help keep things from pop'n, plus a nice IC up front will help obviously.

Trans wise, getting one done now. Nothing super special. Typical build that you can do with all the Sonnax parts out there and what not. Cooler would be done to try and help. Good one, not
a cheapo Autozone copper tube and tin fins.

Boost controller would be something electrical... Could run off wastegate, but do like the niceness of being able to dial it up and down easily with a precise target. I use an HKS ECV6 in my drag
car setup, but may investigate an Apexi type unit that does gear based.

Injector wise, from an old post of mine on the other forum

"I'm using on a clients stock block 4g93 turbo Mirage LS 660cc injectors and high fuel pressure around 60psi 350whp @ 12psi 70/82 turbo "

I was thinking around the 42lb / 440cc sized. Insure I have enough head room left to not have high IDC's and flow enough for e85 usage.

If I can get the stock ECU flashed and going... and the PCV issue when boosting a NA figured out on this, might be good to go hopefully soon.
I figure on PCV, like alot of setups, block the PCV in the TB or intake manifold.. run a breather, and deal with the fact you have a slight vac leak now unless
run a catch can + vac pump setup.

RPW i've seen their stuff... good stuff.

I thank you for the help..anything you can come up with I am all ears...

And for sake of things, this is my current turbo setup I race... so not 100% new to the world.. just to the land of the clunky 4g93 .. but I like messing with the non norm ..

Old May 11, 2015, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Only thing I would do with a 2001 mirage is strip it down to nothing, buy an evo 6 front clip and get started doing a full evo 6 clone/swap. That single 1.8L is good for nothing. Sorry
Old May 11, 2015, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by tsidrift1
Only thing I would do with a 2001 mirage is strip it down to nothing, buy an evo 6 front clip and get started doing a full evo 6 clone/swap. That single 1.8L is good for nothing. Sorry
Not looking to to be on 1320....

If I can just get exact details on ECU tuning, I am good for the rest...
Old May 14, 2015, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Join www.mirageforums.net, plenty of projects there.

I have boosted a 4g93 w/ stock internals to 225whp and built block to 325whp.

There is much <3 for the 4g9x engines, just join the right site and talk to the right people.
Old May 14, 2015, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lusion
Join www.mirageforums.net, plenty of projects there.

I have boosted a 4g93 w/ stock internals to 225whp and built block to 325whp.

There is much <3 for the 4g9x engines, just join the right site and talk to the right people.
I am on there ... Was actually told by two people to come here for more info.

My big issue is just finding how to tune the stock PCM. Since its an auto,
i get shut out by everyone. Some say they can do it.. and when I send em files and what not,
they fall off the earth... or give me run around.. or send me else where.

Not gonna touch a thing until I can reprogram it myself. No piggy back, no mega squirts or anything. I just wanna read / edit / flash and call it a day.. Once I
can get past that, I think I am golden.

I can read the code... but no mappings.