Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

02 oz rally to 04 ralliart conversion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2016, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 oz rally to 04 ralliart conversion

Im finally pulling the trigger on building my worn out oz. I originally had planned on just a 4g64 swap and rear disc conversion. Everything was planned with full research done, was just waiting on the correct bellhousing to float into the local boneyard. Then things changed.... as of last week i found myself the owner of a craigslist special an 04 ralliart that was the victim of an attempted part out and lost title. As the ralliart sits it is missing rims, radiator, exhaust rear of the and random cosmetic pieces. Its high mileage, and reeks of weed... but overall not bad for $250.
Eventually I plan on swapping almost everything over, drivetrain, brakes (havnt decided if i want to transfer the abs or not), and interior(after a deep cleaning). However due to current engine health in the oz Im going to end up doing this in stages as id rather get this done on my days off then have to drive the Tiburon to work.....
Build outline
Stage 1- engine, trans, ecu, wiring, and dash
Stage 2- interior and sound package( need some info on ralliart amp before i commit)
Stage 3- brakes, rims, suspension(considering tein street basis coilovers), and clutch
Stage 4-build motor?
Due to college im on a budget, and time is valuable so tips or comments are greatly appreciated
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:17 PM

Finally cleared some space to work in the shop, should start stage 1 in the morning. Hopefully i can get some decent pics.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 12:52 AM

About 95% done as of tonight, she starts and runs just needs p/s fluid and the dash/console assembled.
Old May 25, 2016, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Looking forward to updates man. Thanks for posting & keep this going.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 11:22 AM

Sorry to anyone waiting on updates, my life has been crazy lately. This car runs better than it ever has and has been returned to daily commuter duty.

Update of everything so far:
Worked most of the little bugs out
Throwout bearing took a dump on me(broke my golden rule cause i got cheap and lazy: always change clutch components when you have the trans out)
Had to rig up a temperary ps line as i didnt realize mine was rubbing on the belt
Installed double din w/ralliart amp

Need to do:
Fix ac...not quite sure what went wrong here...
Redo exhaust....kind of got lazy with this too...used stock base lancer exhaust from the cat back...ralliart from the block to the cat...rusted and not very functional
Coilovers when the cheap shocks go
Other cosmetic tidbits