Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

The 5150 build

Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
The 5150 build

Well it is time for the good ol evo to get a make over. It has been pretty good to me and now that it has turned 100k miles it is time for a fresh start. Surprisingly did a compression test with s2 cams and i was 170,170,150,170 and I was pretty pleased. The low cylinder I think was do to wrong wire hook up to an injector wire and #3 wasn't pushing any fuel and I drove 80 miles for a tune that day. So with out due, here is what is going into my new build.

Engine:

Standard rod 2.4
Manley turbo tuff rods
Weisco Hd pistons Swain tech coated (high compression, and yes above 10:1)
Oem mitsu crank
rebuilt oil pump gears that are polished
Swain tech coated bearings
Cosworth hg
Torque solutions motor mounts

Head:

Force Engineering Nasty head port and polish, bottom of the head Swain tech coated
1mm over Ferrea competition intake valves standard size exhaust valves both Swain tech coated
Bronze magnesium valve guides
Kelford 288 hl cams from GSC S2
Aem true time cam gears
Performance Springs valve springs with Ferrea retainers
GSC Zero tick lifters

Turbo:

Map Ef4 that will be ported and polished up and clipped by Force Engineering
Map o2 housing with dump tube
Zeitronix Wideband 02 sensor
Map ported exhaust manifold
Borg Warner S369 with 71mm wheel and cover T4 twin scroll with 1.10 A/R
Tial MVS wastegate
Forward facing Manifold built by Force

Intake:

Map rev3 Intake mani will be switching to a Magnus after turbo swap
Milspec 65mm throttle body
Bushur ic pipes
Ams Fmic

Fuel:

Fic 2150s
Magnus fuel rail
Redone double pumper controlled by the Haltech
Dual Walbro 450s -8 Y into -10 to fuel rail
Magnus Afpr
Magnus in line fuel filter
Zeitronix eca flex fuel sensor

Engine Management

Haltech Elite 1500
Grimspeed 3 port ebc

So far that is mostly what will be on the car. Money is a factor for me but this is the best I can do for now and I am sure I will be happy with it. There is more that will be going on after the shootout. Things like Borg Warner s369 turbo that will be ported and Swain tech coated hot side, sitting on a top mount exhaust mani that will be Swain teched as well. That should be a lot of fun. Everything will be controlled by a Haltech Elite. If i can find some more cash I would like to do a 4.11 final drive to fix all the gearing. That is all the update for now I am waiting for some room at the shop being I can't do it here being my fathers stealth is in there all tore apart for head gaskets and typical **** that needs to be change. I know I am looking 8 to 12 weeks but I am hoping to get it there and he can start on stuff before then. All I know is this car will be a handful and I am looking forward to it. I would like to thank a few people for helping me in this current build state. I would like to thank my buddy Tyler over at Force for putting up with me and all my questions everyday, John Walen for saving my *** on dyno day when I killed my radiator and thanks for having one for me buddy it was much appreciated, Shane Webster my close and good friend for bringing me home after we lost cylinder 3 on the dyno, and everyone through out the years who have helped me in one way or another on these forums. Without all of you guys none of this would have came about. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by CurseDSM; Aug 27, 2016 at 11:57 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 03:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good stuff mate.

You'll love the Elite, theyre a great thing!
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Thanks, yes the elite is so much better at idle and at cruise then my stock ecu ever was. I currently have the car tuned for flex fuel and still working on cold start being it has been mildly warm this year. Only other problem is my 925 battery is dead and doesnt want to take a charge. Other then that I wanna play with the auto tune and see ifnibcan get the car adjusted to my driving style and see if I can optimize the tune.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 08:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Well little progress has gone on with the car. I have ordered some more parts including my timing stuff, still unsure what timing belt I need to run, but that is all ordered. My Kelford 288s are here and I am pretty excited about that. I am still unsure wtf is wrong with my battery being it took a charge but yet acts dead when you try to turn the key. I still have a warranty on the battery so i may send it back to get a new one. Other then that i am at a stand still till I can get some cash to the guys at Force. Money is there just getting time to get with them being there 2 hours away is the problem more to come soon.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 03:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Little lame update being I still haven't received any pics yet, but car was taken to Force this past weekend and motor is out. Head is being cleaned and ported then sent out to Swaintech for coating. Motor is built minus bearings which are at Swaintech being coated, oil pump and front cover were cleaned up and will be polished up sometime this week. As for everything else it is already assembled waiting bearings. I am still waiting on my motor mounts. Other then that hopefully things will go quick and i will get some pics being this thread is useless without pics.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 05:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Well a little update. Motor is in car, I had a few things go wrong. Clutch hub gear was tore up pretty good. I guess this is normal wear on a triple so it is to be expected. Then of course alternator was going bad. Ok normal stuff then my new MAP o2 housing with dump did not fit with my AMS pan. Go figure now i have to modify that to get it to not hit the oil pan. Not much of an update I still don't have any pics yet but hopefully the car will be done shortly.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 10:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Nice build coming along here!

Interesting. So the exedy clutch hub problem is still not 100% gone. How long would you say it lasted before failure ? Do you launch regularly?

-pal215
Old Aug 27, 2016, 11:52 PM
EvoM Guru

I have launched on this setup half a dozen times and the clutch itself has 30k miles or so on it so I guess they haven't fixed it yet. According to Exedy they said that its normal wear and tear that the hub is suppose to wear out like that. Well for 200 bucks a crack you would figure they would at least make a better attempt to fixing this problem.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Designed to fail, more money for them as part selling.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 09:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Mobsters
Designed to fail, more money for them as part selling.
Exactly, I have a cousin who works at the headquarters here in MI, and I called her I was like wtf is this **** and I sent her the pic which I will post in a second, shes like yeah we get those all the time we do not harden them being its made to do that to help keep the shafts from getting eaten up. I said that's stupid you spend that much on a clutch make it so it doesn't fail or stupid **** doesn't have to be replaced I said the second mistake is the monolock. I said that's the dumbest thing I have ever seen in all my hears building cars. She is like well they work don't they I said its remain to be seen in my opinion.

Name:  20160823_131736_zpsoi6bmvmr.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  207.4 KB
Old Aug 28, 2016, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
[

Wow. Id be pissed if i paid 2 grand for a clutch and this happened

build is looking amazing brother
Name:  20160823_131736_zpsoi6bmvmr.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  207.4 KB[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 28, 2016, 10:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by roni4g63
[

Wow. Id be pissed if i paid 2 grand for a clutch and this happened

build is looking amazing brother
Thank you. I know its been a long time coming for me and I am glad it is finally getting done, even though i am pulling my hair out with all this little stuff lol. I didn't pay 2k thankfully i just did twin to triple upgrade so it was way less but yeah still not happy about that. I wish i could get some pics to show you guys, but i am 2 hours from the shop and I asked him to get me some before assembly but so far that is the only pic i could get lol.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 05:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Quick update car is pretty much ready to hit the dyno. One thing I decided to do is go ahead and get the fuel system ready to go. I figured i may put it off till i upgrade to the new turbo setup, but decided to go with it now. AN fittings are ordered and will be there tomorrow. Another little hiccup was my MAP o2 housing hitting my AMS oilpan as i stated above. That was fixed as well. I have some minor wiring to fix for the haltech that i had to do on the dyno last time and she should be ready to hit the rollers. I will be honest I am looking forward to seeing how much difference the high compression and the 2.4 will make on e85.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 02:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey did you wire in that haltech or did you use the harness for the evo 9 and just de pin a couple wires? Thanks
Old Sep 18, 2016, 08:57 AM
EvoM Guru

I ran the sport 1000 plug and play harness for the 8 and i did not have to repin anything. I added 2 wires for the eca and for the knock sensor then configured it to work all together.

This is what I used

http://store.haltech.com/usastore/ec...evo-8-usa.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The 5150 build