Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

CJBarker2's 4G94 S10 Build

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
I’m looking forward to seeing it progress. Wish you luck financially and keep posting the updates as they come along.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 07:41 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
I’m looking forward to seeing it progress. Wish you luck financially and keep posting the updates as they come along.
Thanks, man!

Finally got ahold of a guy that can get the adapter plate done. Tool and Dye for the last 30 years, just dropped off the parts about an hour ago. Looking at no more than $200, and we determined that the best solution is going to be to shift the engine and transmission a bit forward to clear the firewall instead of modifying engine parts. This will give me room
for the A/C, too, which isn’t an option for Candice haha the only guesswork now is whether to put my money into an engine donor for my truck or start dumping some more into hers. I might have spare parts, too, with a Tahoe laying around that might have the right length driveshaft to move things along. I’m in an S10 group on Facebook, going to definitely use that to find some info on a setback shifter, maybe a short throw on top of that.

Dash is toast, going to have to get a cover for it, as the Lancer’s parts just didn’t mesh well at all when I got down to it. Hope isn’t lost. She did fall in love with hydro dipping, so that will be a fun part to post.

Got split bench seats and just need to install them. Engine should be sitting in the frame by the end of April, so the harness and other fun will be coming in short order.

Thanks, again, for the support! This is going to be a fun one, for sure!
Old May 12, 2019, 07:23 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Heaven? Maybe!

Sold a guy a few parts about a month ago, and his brother-in-law, Kenny, is a 30-year tool and dye machinist. Since I already had the plate for the adapter, I jumped at the chance to get some headway. Three weeks ago, we hooked up and I gave him the old heart to my daily, a spare T5 from another early s10, the plate, and both bellhousings. Last night, I found a minute and ran out to get the parts, just giddy with excitement to see how they turned out.

Guys, I simply cannot stress this enough: Kenny hit the nail square on the head. The Lancer bell is centered and he trimmed the extra material off of the plate. The bolts from the back are countersunk to give me clearance from the transmission. He set the engine and trans dead level when assembled and then marked his holes for the T5. The man knows what he’s doing and it really shows.

Now, with the details out of the way, here’s a treat! Meet the future powerplant to this 1988 Chevy s10! Candice still hasn’t named this build, so I don’t know what to call it!

This is just a beautiful thing to look at! I almost feel dirty plugging it all together! Forgive the mess, this is my teardown shelter and I’ve got a Grand Am in for lower manifold gaskets (unrelated to the mess that you CAN see, though!). Motor’s also been sitting idle for ~15 months, so here’s to hoping she’s held up this whole time!

Trimmed the stub to 5/8” like I had asked, and it looks like a winner from here! Just have to get it all fastened tight and mark the sleeve, saw it off, and install the slave! Should I use the gently used one I saved from a customer’s car or get a new one? This one can’t have but 1,000 miles on it, but it’s internal, so better safe than sorry?