Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

06 MR - The Baby Hauler Build

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSoEVO
Can't you get some of that good zinc oil from your work? I'll split a case or something with you?!?!? I bet since you've been tuning a lot lately with that past oil interval that's probably why the fuel go diluted into the oil some, those numbers look good tho. You busy Sunday...want to get a cruise in?
Ya I can get some zinc additive or just zinc heavy oil through work but I have never really felt the need for it in the Evos engine. I will get some if you want. Its pretty cheap anyways. The actual zinc loaded oil is crazy expensive though. Sunday may work. I have a guy coming to pick up an Ecotec I built but I can probably swing him by on Saturday instead. I will talk to him and let you know! I was just up in Arrowhead last night too. Was an awesome drive like normal.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Ya I can get some zinc additive or just zinc heavy oil through work but I have never really felt the need for it in the Evos engine. I will get some if you want. Its pretty cheap anyways. The actual zinc loaded oil is crazy expensive though. Sunday may work. I have a guy coming to pick up an Ecotec I built but I can probably swing him by on Saturday instead. I will talk to him and let you know! I was just up in Arrowhead last night too. Was an awesome drive like normal.
How much is the zinc loaded oil vs the additive? Yeah let me know, I'm free all day Sunday maybe we can even do another bbq up there or something?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SoSoEVO
How much is the zinc loaded oil vs the additive? Yeah let me know, I'm free all day Sunday maybe we can even do another bbq up there or something?
Ya I think we should be able to use the Arrowhead house on Sunday. Its supposed to be hot down here so it would be nice to get out of the heat. What about Dara? Brayton says he cant go. Don what about you? Jeremy, not sure if you pop on here or not but we could have you join too. It would be like a rainbow of Evos!

The zinc additive is like $12 a bottle and the zinc loaded oil (Lucas Racing) is around $55 for a 5qt jug. Thats what I normally run in my Bug.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Don, I put in diesel oil this time. Has around 1200 ppm zinc. You think I need more? I do have somewhat of a cat to keep alive too.
Sorry, been in meetings after meetings. Isn't result showing 776 Zinc? Where's the rest?

Last edited by 2006EvoIXer; Mar 28, 2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Ya I think we should be able to use the Arrowhead house on Sunday. Its supposed to be hot down here so it would be nice to get out of the heat. What about Dara? Brayton says he cant go. Don what about you? Jeremy, not sure if you pop on here or not but we could have you join too. It would be like a rainbow of Evos!

The zinc additive is like $12 a bottle and the zinc loaded oil (Lucas Racing) is around $55 for a 5qt jug. Thats what I normally run in my Bug.
Thanks for the invite! I'm not sure I can make it because I'll be gathering my paperwork for taxes. 1 FT job and 2 side businesses sucks at tax time!
Old Mar 29, 2019, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Alright, so a big update is coming soon. But first....

I have been slowly dialing in my tune on the AEM. It's going good. Since it has been hot, I have used my ac. That portion of the tune I never touched. It was real bad at first. Turn the ac on, idles at 1500 rpm right after it almost dies. These were all preset values so i expected none less. AC fan didnt turn on either. After about 15 min of messing with it, all the AC stuff is good to go. No drop in idle speed and a very smooth transition from compressor off to on. I also made some minor full throttle tune changes. It was good before but now it's even better. I also made some cold start changes. Sometimes it fires up first time when cold, sometimes not. So hopefully tomorrow I can find out if that is now fixed. Anything over 100° coolant temp fires up fine as is.
The following users liked this post:
2006EvoIXer (Mar 30, 2019)
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Big update time, well big to me at least. As some of you know, I have had what sounds like the wonderful "death whine" since my last track event. Its not loud but if you turn the radio off you can hear it on decel and when down shifting. Most of the time its the t-case thats on its way out and I thought that was my case too since the fluid came out pretty dark. But after draining the fluid in my rear end and finding the drain plug magnet completely covered in metal, I think it actually is the rear end. Putting new fluid in it helped quiet the noise down so I am pretty sure it is the rear end. So after making some calls and finding out that rebuilding rears ends is not a cheap task, I started looking for a used one. Sure enough, about a week into it, one pops up for sale on here. Now thanks to BluEvoIX, I have a very nice, pretty fresh rear end sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. I am hoping I can find some time over the weekend to get it in. Not looking forward to it....

Also, it is finally flex fuel time! I got a set of FIC 1200cc high-z injectors on order. Then got the SpoolinUp premium resistor pack bypass ordered. And of course, I needed an ethanol content sensor so I ordered one through AEM. That should be all the bits and pieces needed to get some e85 in the tank. I still have to put my electric boost solenoid in (currently running MBC) and tune for it but that should only take a few pulls. Other then that, I got my AEM all configured and ready to go full flex fuel. Just need to dump some e85 in it and see what it does. I am super excited to see how good the flex fuel portion of the tune works. It will be nice to be able to run whatever mixture of gas/ethanol I want and never have to switch maps. This is going to be my first time tuning on e85 so wish me luck!
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Nice!!
Old Apr 2, 2019, 01:17 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Excellent progress Sean

Wait till you start burning the E85 (never forget my first tune on it / 10 years ago)
Old Apr 2, 2019, 01:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Old Apr 2, 2019, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys! Glad to be moving in the right direction again.

And Joe - Don already popped my e85 cherry. Got to ride in his car on pump gas and e85! Its a nice bump in power and smells awesome haha. And now that gas is back to $4 a gal, it should save me some money, maybe...
Old Apr 8, 2019, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

E85 parts are showing up! Just waiting on my ethanol content sensor and we should be good to go.

Old Apr 8, 2019, 01:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Looking good Sean...didn't you just get bigger injectors not too long ago?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Ya I got the FIC 1220 low-z injectors a while back. They worked fine but now that I am on the AEM, I figured high-z would be a better choice. So ya, round 2 with injectors. Going to attempt to put them in after work.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Stop staring at the rear diff and get that thing installed to enjoy it on the roads !

Quick Reply: 06 MR - The Baby Hauler Build