Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

lancer conversion to evo 8/9

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2019, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lancer conversion to evo 8/9

hey everyone first of all I'm new to this forum, nice to meet all of you kindhearted people.

Now, on to business. So I'm planning on getting an older base model AWD Lancer and converting it into an Evo 8/9 which I know will not be cheap or easy. The problem is I cant quite figure out a good roadmap for how I'm going to go about this since I am fairly new to being a car enthusiast (1-2 years on and off). the only part I know I will leave for last is the bodywork since It could make for an interesting sleeper for the time being

feel free to give me any suggestions on how I could kick start this project!

Old Jun 2, 2019, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
Why not find a cheap roller and fix that up, i see them going from 4-8k sure thats probably cheaper ???
Old Jun 2, 2019, 07:33 PM

Better off buying a salvaged Evo (non accident) or high mileage. Or both. Save you time and head ache getting all the parts. Smog can be an issue later too, if you live in a state like NY or CA. Extra money every couple years to illegally smog the vehicle.

only expensive part with either option would be the Evo motor. Haven’t seen any cheap Evo motors. Their like type r motors. Over priced. But not as expensive as a rb26 or a 2jz.

Good luck w the project regardless which road you take.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 07:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
I'm going to go ahead and say that its not worth the time or money. There would be no benefit to going this route vs just buying an evo to start with.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by huzzle101
Why not find a cheap roller and fix that up, i see them going from 4-8k sure thats probably cheaper ???
that's also an option, as of right now I'm dabbling with the idea I first mentioned but come to think of it, that definitely would be cheaper for sure
Old Jun 2, 2019, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Joeracer
Better off buying a salvaged Evo (non accident) or high mileage. Or both. Save you time and head ache getting all the parts. Smog can be an issue later too, if you live in a state like NY or CA. Extra money every couple years to illegally smog the vehicle.

only expensive part with either option would be the Evo motor. Haven’t seen any cheap Evo motors. Their like type r motors. Over priced. But not as expensive as a rb26 or a 2jz.

Good luck w the project regardless which road you take.
honestly at this point that seems like a smarter plan because come to think of it the original plan would be a rather large project even for a person who's passionate about the platform
Old Jun 2, 2019, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by V.8MR
I'm going to go ahead and say that its not worth the time or money. There would be no benefit to going this route vs just buying an evo to start with.
fair enough but hey just spitballing ideas is all
Old Jun 3, 2019, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 134 Likes on 123 Posts
If you wanna do a swap do the Mirage to VI. Quite a few guys have done it and there are a couple of good build threads on here.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by osetsky
If you wanna do a swap do the Mirage to VI. Quite a few guys have done it and there are a couple of good build threads on here.
that sounds interesting, I will look into it.

funny story though, I was looking on the offer up app to see if there were any evos for sale in my area and I found a base model lancer for sale that had been turbocharged with a base lancer engine as well, I talked to the owner and he didn't seem to know much about the car but he bought it second hand already turbo charged and what looked like quite a bit of mods on it, he also mentioned he has to get rid of it because its supposedly too fast for his wife to handle. just figured I'd share, thought it was funny, he even listed it as an evo

pics for proof my dudes
Old Jun 12, 2019, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
A friend of mine has done that on a fwd lancer. However it does not worth the effort or the money. Just before making it awd he sold it and got an EVO. However, if you need info i can give you his fb to get in touch with him.