Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 9 problems

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2017, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo 9 problems

Hi guys I joined the forum and been researching the problem I am having with my Evo 9 SE. It is stock other than a exhaust, intake, HBC boost controller. 63,000 miles

Problem 1: my evo 9 will smoke at idle and when I move it can see smoke blowing out from the exhaust. I replaced the PCV valve but it did not see to fix the problem. I checked the charge pipe and found little drops of oil. I also found drops of oil on the turbo on the intake side of the turbo also. Since my last oil change, I've put 1,200 miles on it and the oil on the dipstick is on the bottom notch line. Not sure if its normal to lose this much oil after 1,200 miles.

Problem 2: my car will idle at 10 HG vacuum and will idle lean from 17 to 20 afr. when I drive the car it seem to be driving fine cruising with 14.6 to 14.8 afr. sometime it will seem to sputter and the Afr will lean out 17 to 18 afr crusing when not in boost. I have pics and videos I will upload from my phone.

I never had any issues with this car before. I haven't done any mods when I bought this car a year ago. I noticed I may have boost leak as well.

Last edited by KYjerry414; Jun 25, 2017 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Add video
Old Jun 24, 2017, 06:35 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hi Jerry

First of all, on behalf of the EvOM forum staff, would like to welcome you

Secondly, a bit concerned that the EvO has not been tuned w/the modifications listed?

Hopefully some of our tuning Gurus will chime in

Joe
Old Jun 24, 2017, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Hi Jerry

First of all, on behalf of the EvOM forum staff, would like to welcome you

Secondly, a bit concerned that the EvO has not been tuned w/the modifications listed?

Hopefully some of our tuning Gurus will chime in

Joe
thank you. i'm just mind boggled lol
Old Jun 24, 2017, 07:00 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Question: Is there a tune on it?

The tuning guys would likely ask for you to post a file of the ECU log which will show it all
Old Jun 24, 2017, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Question: Is there a tune on it?

The tuning guys would likely ask for you to post a file of the ECU log which will show it all
It ran good when I bought the car a year ago from a dealership. so maybe the previous owner got it tuned. if I posted in the wrong forum please move this thread to right section.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 07:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I understand, when you bought the EvO & it already had those basics on there.

This is an OK place to keep your thread. Let me summon a couple of members here & see if they can chime-in
Old Jun 25, 2017, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Welcome.
The lean seems okay during idle and off boost. Mine will idle at 14.5-15 at idle. If I leave it in gear and let off gas, it goes to 20 as engine is getting dragged.
Oil in turbo is probably coming from valve cover from blow-by. You will need a catch can to filter that. What I do to check my fuel tune is pump my gas pedal down to see if afr goes to 11. Mine will drop to 10. If it stays over 12, you should get a retune.

Also, take off your intercooler and drain the oil.
The following users liked this post:
MinusPrevious (Jun 25, 2017)
Old Jun 25, 2017, 09:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
If you think you have post leaks, those need to be fixed before anything. Smoke, and the oil in the turbo is either crankcase pressure or an issue with the turbo. When the car has cooled off, grab the compressor nut and move the compressor up and down to check for excessive shaft play. Also pull it in and out. It should only move up and down a smidge, and in/out play should only be a few thousandths.
The following users liked this post:
MinusPrevious (Jun 25, 2017)
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Are you sure those are you only mods? That idle sounds pretty lopey, sounds like you might have some cams, it would explain that vacuum.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
Welcome.
The lean seems okay during idle and off boost. Mine will idle at 14.5-15 at idle. If I leave it in gear and let off gas, it goes to 20 as engine is getting dragged.
Oil in turbo is probably coming from valve cover from blow-by. You will need a catch can to filter that. What I do to check my fuel tune is pump my gas pedal down to see if afr goes to 11. Mine will drop to 10. If it stays over 12, you should get a retune.

Also, take off your intercooler and drain the oil.
Yeah I need to remove the intercooler I'm sure there is oil in there. When I cruise at 60 mph My car will sputter and it'll lean out to 17 or 18 afr.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by 4G63_EVO
Are you sure those are you only mods? That idle sounds pretty lopey, sounds like you might have some cams, it would explain that vacuum.
It never sounded lopey and from what the dealership told me, only mod it has was the exhaust, hbc manual boost controller. It sounded perfect before it idled lean. It sounds lopey from being lean I think. And my vacuum would be at 18hg before the problem.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
If you think you have post leaks, those need to be fixed before anything. Smoke, and the oil in the turbo is either crankcase pressure or an issue with the turbo. When the car has cooled off, grab the compressor nut and move the compressor up and down to check for excessive shaft play. Also pull it in and out. It should only move up and down a smidge, and in/out play should only be a few thousandths.
I grabbed the compressor nut and check for shaft play and it doesn't move at all.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 01:15 PM

Any chance bad turbo seal would cause a vacuum leak? And one time I drove it I noticed my car made boost up to 25lbs and I let off. My boost is set to 18lbs. Not sure where the boost leak would come from if it is a boost leak problem? I have a stock turbo with a internal wastegate.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KYjerry414
Any chance bad turbo seal would cause a vacuum leak? And one time I drove it I noticed my car made boost up to 25lbs and I let off. My boost is set to 18lbs. Not sure where the boost leak would come from if it is a boost leak problem? I have a stock turbo with a internal wastegate.
25 psi is around 4000 rpm right? Then drops? My previous tune went to 26 dropping to 21 at redline
Old Jun 25, 2017, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KYjerry414
Pull off your line and look inside your tubes for oil, especially the turbo intake hose.

Quick Reply: Evo 9 problems