Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Collecting everyone's 2 cents!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2017, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Collecting everyone's 2 cents!

Hey guys I'm fairly new to Evos and looking to get my first one. I would appreciate anyone's input on this purchase.

Its a black 2005 Evo 8 SSL

95kMiles
Performance wise is full exhaust, intake piping and a new radiator.

17x9+22 Enkei RPF1's Wrapped in New Falken Ziex ZE950 245/40R17XL
D2 Coilovers
Wheel alignment just done
Drilled & Slotted Rotors
AEM Boost and Air & Fuel Gauges
Tinted windows
JDM Taillights
Evo 9 Front Bumper
ClutchMaster Clutch
Injen Intercooler Piping & Diverter Valve
3" HKS Turbo Back Exhaust
Greddy Turbo Timer
Evo 7 Shift Knob
Siebon Carbon Fiber Hood
Weather Tech Rain Guards
Rexspeed Vortex Generator
Double Din Conversion With Kenwood DDX9703S In-dash DVD Receiver - 6.95" Touch Display installed

ASSUMING everything checks out and has no major issues, rust, etc. He said he would take 15k. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 02:32 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Worth it, if you like the mods and the car checks out.

If you are asking if all the mods make the price worth it: no. They never do (again: unless they are all mods you like and plan to keep- then you would be saving money and a lot of extra work). That's why most people turn the car back to stock before selling.

It's a subjective question. I wouldn't pay that price for that car, with those mods. You might. So... it is what it is.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 02:39 PM

Well that's why I'm curious to see if the price is right. I don't mind the mods but obviously I would do more things in the future. But the way it sits and the mileage, was wondering if it's worth the 15k or am I overpaying.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 02:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Overpaying
Old Aug 19, 2017, 03:36 PM
kaj

Maybe worth it if spotless.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Without knowing the full history of the car hard to say. Doesn't seem too modded in it's current form which is usually a good thing as these cars age but if that has been passed through one or two bad owners who knows....
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:46 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Damn it! Any good running evo is worth the $15k price. Don't know what the heck some of you were thinking.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 11:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
i waited for about a year looking for the right car, got my 03 8 for 13k with 84k miles completely stock besides exhaust. has some paint defects but i didnt care about that as the motor and drivetrain were very healthly. the gems are out there you just have to be patient.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Worth it if he also has the OEM hood. Most carbon hoods end up looking like crap after a few years of sun damage.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
That's a good deal my 04 evo with 89k when i got it last year was 17k with pretty much the exact same mods but with cams also I had the car checked compression leak down done with excellent results so I jumped on it with clean title.

But here in Oregon Washington area evo's are selling for top dollar so I was happy with my purchase
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by G20
Damn it! Any good running evo is worth the $15k price. Don't know what the heck some of you were thinking.
Depends on the loan if they are going that route... I wouldnt pay that much for almost any car that old with a term over 60 months. But thats just me.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 02:47 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by G20
Absolutely not. That's how bad decisions get made.

Originally Posted by nemsin
Worth it if he also has the OEM hood. Most carbon hoods end up looking like crap after a few years of sun damage.
Plus the OEM hood is lighter than most generic CF ones, anyway. I never understood the point of CF hoods and/or fenders on Evos LOL
Old Aug 20, 2017, 03:32 PM

After all the searching I did for one for about 6 months, that is worth it imo assuming the title is clean and it is a clean car.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by tbaird58
i waited for about a year looking for the right car, got my 03 8 for 13k with 84k miles completely stock besides exhaust. has some paint defects but i didnt care about that as the motor and drivetrain were very healthly. the gems are out there you just have to be patient.
​​​​​​​great advice. It will be your car so its worth what you will pay for it. Clean evos are hard to come by. When they show up and its what you want, whats paying 1-2k more than the next guy. Some guys make it sound like they are buying evos for 5k bone stock with 30k miles. If thats the case then thats a steal, but thats not the norm.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 01:20 PM

Just an update guys. I ended up buying it but for 14k. Now there are some issues that it did have. The AC does not work and I got the universal response of "it might need a recharge" which I highly doubt because if that's the case, I don't know why they wouldn't have done it since it's a simple fix. There are some dings and scratches on the front and rear humper, nothing too major. It does drive real good, clutch isn't short and idles fine and pulls good. I got it with the stock rims (which looks like S*## because of curb rash and scratches and poor black paint job). The biggest concern was that I didn't realize it had a straight pipe so it's not going to pass emissions here in VA. Now I have to worry about that which will be a headache. Another thing I noticed after I brought it home was that when I turned the key to the on position, the SES, anti-lock, and ebrake light doesnt turn on which it should. I started worrying if previous owner took out bulbs or did something so alter the dash lights. I removed the gauge cluster without disconnecting the battery (I know that was a dumb mistake on my part, I was to eager to take it out and check bulbs or anything of fawl play). I don't know how the stock cluster should look but not every socket had bulbs in them. The SES was burned but the other ones were fine. I removed the turn signal bulbs to place them in the missing slots and burned out bulb for the SES, Ebrake, and anti-lock and put the cluster back on. I turned the key and the lights did come on. I started the car and the SES and SRS light stayed on...that worries me because maybe the SES light was on this whole time and I didn't realize it because the bulb was burned out. But now the SRS light came on and remained on. I disconnected the battery for a while and started it back up, this time the SES went away but the SRS still stays on...can anyone please chime in and give they're opinion on what they think is going on and if I even got a decent deal for this Evo for 14k...I'm starting to have doubts and worry that I bit off more than I could chew. Thanks in advance guys.