Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Did this shop do my leak-down/compression test correctly?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did this shop do my leak-down/compression test correctly?

Hey guys,

I am pretty new here and am trying to purchase my first Evo right now. Its been quite difficult finding a clean near stock evo in the south (let alone anywhere these days). I finally found one off of facebook a couple weeks ago up north out of state (an 06 evo 9, stock motor, stock head, stock cams), spoke to the seller, and set up a pre-purchase inspection in hopes of at least getting some insight on the condition of the car. The shop completed the inspection and called me back saying things were pretty good and the body, bushings, etc. were all in good condition. But when it got down to the engine compression and leak down results, this is what I got:

Compression:
Cyl 1: 120
Cyl 2: 118
Cyl 3: 105
Cyl 4: 110

Leakdown:
Cyl 1: 30%
Cyl 2: 15%
Cyl 3: 36%
Cyl 4: 17%

Now the compression is not exactly even but its kinda close. The issue is, that is pretty low compression, especially at 105. Leakdown is REALLY high. 36% and 30% are definitely concerning. So I contacted the shop and they're saying that the motor is in fine condition and that they prefer the leakdown to be under 25% but its "Right near there" which kind of doesn't seem right because it is not all that close. They then stated that the leakdown test was done on the motor "before the test drive" and the compression was done after the car sat for 45 mins.

Basically, am I just paranoid, or does it seem kind of off that this relatively reputable shop is telling me those numbers are ok and that the motor doesn't smoke and runs healthy and that I should be fine?. Furthermore, they asked me to come in again some other day to get it done with the car at operating temps. Not going to have the seller drive another 45 mins to get this done again, especially since inspection fees are coming out of my pocket. Any help is appreciated.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
They didn't listen to estimate where the leaks were? If they hear hissing in muffler (exhaust valves), from oil cap (piston rings), or throttle body (intake valves).
Old Sep 19, 2018, 05:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
How many miles are on the car?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
They didn't listen to estimate where the leaks were? If they hear hissing in muffler (exhaust valves), from oil cap (piston rings), or throttle body (intake valves).
When I asked that what could possibly be the culprit they said, "You could have a follow up leakdown done to verify accuracy; I generally do that within a few days to see if any variables would cause a change. We could do it after getting it to operating temp as well since this one was done before he went on the test drive." An im not about to make the seller drive 45 mins back to the shop for them to charge me even more.

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
How many miles are on the car?
The car has 114k miles. Not fully stock but tuned by a good tuner, bolt ons, and fuel pump.

Last edited by akeedasdi; Sep 19, 2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 05:56 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
That's pretty low for just over 100k miles. My last engine was in the 120s on three cylinders and 90 on #3. That was after 130k miles. I bought the car with 115k or so and I assume it was 90psi the whole time. Who knows how long I could have left it that way. No smoke, ran great.
I'd confirm the engine was warm when they ran the tests, just in case.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 06:18 PM

See that's the thing, the car sat off for 45mins+ before each test. That's not exactly warm at that point if you were to ask me. That was my first question when I got the results. It doesn't make sense for a shop to make a mistake like that so im wondering what exactly is going on. Gonna have to give them a call tomorrow. The most concerning thing to me is is that they gave me those results and then told me that the motor was fine and that, "There were no signs of smoke or anything that would lead to a hurt engine". I'm sorry but the numbers really don't match anything they're saying. The issue comes down to, whether I need to spend more money on the car by going to a different shop or if I should just pass on that car which already took me long enough to find.

(When I put anything in quotes, it's a literal copy paste from their messages)
Old Sep 19, 2018, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
That's pretty low for just over 100k miles. My last engine was in the 120s on three cylinders and 90 on #3. That was after 130k miles. I bought the car with 115k or so and I assume it was 90psi the whole time. Who knows how long I could have left it that way. No smoke, ran great.
I'd confirm the engine was warm when they ran the tests, just in case.
Did you have any issues with it? or have to do a rebuild? or is it more hit or miss?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 07:09 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by akeedasdi
Did you have any issues with it? or have to do a rebuild? or is it more hit or miss?
It ran great for four years. I pulled it to try something out, but not because it gave me any problems.

I'm not trying to imply the shop tested it wrong....just saying I'd make sure before I drop $1000s on a fix.
Maybe they tested it cold and are basing their "okay" on cold numbers. Not that it makes any more sense...
I say drive it until it gives you a reason to worry. If it runs fine and isn't burning a ton of oil, **** it.

Old Sep 19, 2018, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
It ran great for four years. I pulled it to try something out, but not because it gave me any problems.

I'm not trying to imply the shop tested it wrong....just saying I'd make sure before I drop $1000s on a fix.
Maybe they tested it cold and are basing their "okay" on cold numbers. Not that it makes any more sense...
I say drive it until it gives you a reason to worry. If it runs fine and isn't burning a ton of oil, **** it.
issue is, should I be dropping so much cash on it if its such a gamble?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 08:36 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by akeedasdi
issue is, should I be dropping so much cash on it if its such a gamble?
Up to you and your situation/comfort level. I'd drive it till it dies, save in the meantime, and see how much $$$$ I have saved IF it kicks the bucket. Some people like to do things "just in case". All up to.you.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
Up to you and your situation/comfort level. I'd drive it till it dies, save in the meantime, and see how much $$$$ I have saved IF it kicks the bucket. Some people like to do things "just in case". All up to.you.
Haha thanks for the input man, let me think about it and then make a decision!