Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tracking All Evo Listings in The USA From Facebook Marketplace

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2023, 08:40 AM

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts
Post Tracking All Evo Listings in The USA From Facebook Marketplace

The Google Sheets spreadsheet

The dashboard to filter and see market trends

A form to add listings you found

If there's something I like looking at other than Evos it's the Evo market.

I was already looking through the market on a daily basis so I thought it would be a good idea to properly track it and share the results. I'll keep this sheet updated for the foreseeable future since I haven't seen something like this for any other car.

I'll try to post monthly graphs and stats in the comments.

Last edited by Tameed; May 25, 2023 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Adding new and important information that should be at the top
The following 10 users liked this post by Tameed:
damstr (May 30, 2023), DontStopMe (Oct 19, 2023), fid (Apr 6, 2023), Pilosalas (Nov 21, 2023), redSLed (Apr 4, 2023), Smets057 (Sep 5, 2023), SsZERO (Sep 21, 2023), staywide8 (Mar 30, 2023), Terror Rising (Mar 20, 2023), uneekvisions (Apr 18, 2023) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old Mar 20, 2023, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 115 Likes on 105 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to do this!
Old Mar 20, 2023, 11:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
That's one hell of a spreadsheet!. Are you going to update it with asking price revisions and sale prices? Have you looked through the 2006 Evo values threadright below this one? It's become a somewhat tracker of Bring A Trailer Evos.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Terror Rising
That's one hell of a spreadsheet!. Are you going to update it with asking price revisions and sale prices? Have you looked through the 2006 Evo values threadright below this one? It's become a somewhat tracker of Bring A Trailer Evos.
Asking price revisions? Yes, already doing that with a note attached to the evo's price showing its price history and updating the price to the most current.

Sale price? Yes.. to an extent. I'll be checking off the 'Sold' checkboxes for the Evos once a month since posts that say they are sold tend to stay up for ~6 months. The problem comes when Evos are sold but instead of the seller marking the post as sold they just delete the post, no way to really check those except for going through each link and checking if the post still exists, but even then we don't know if the seller actually sold it or not.

I checked out the other thread, thought about posting the sheet there but I didn't want it to be buried!

Old Mar 20, 2023, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Is this document updated through an automated process?
Old Mar 20, 2023, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by deylag
Is this document updated through an automated process?
I wish. There are a couple of problems that get in the way...

- Facebook doesn't allow web scraping and if you try the possibility of getting banned is high, so I can't have a scraper go through and find the postings for me.
- The archiving platform I'm using can archive Facebook posts but doesn't have an API available yet.
- The one part I can automate is basic information like year, model, location, miles, color, but that takes 10 seconds to do manually so not really worth it
- information on the body parts is typically only shown in the pictures, can't automate that.
- information on performance parts is way too diverse. Postings could have the info in the pictures or post details, and the actual info itself is either the full name of the product and the part, just the part that was modified, the product name only, or abbreviations of the part of product name.

All this to say, it's manual right now.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 06:58 PM

Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts
First, good job on the research. However, I have a few suggestions...

What it appears you are trying to accomplish is tracking values of Evos, which the traditional market book-values are not doing well with. If that is the case, here is my suggestions:

- Only record "sold" values, or the "final Asking price" listed.
- "Asking" prices are great, but actual "Transaction" prices are what really matter. That's why it's easiest to watch the Bringatrailer.com stats, and what I tried to accomplish on the original thread I created called 06 Evo Values.
- If you are documenting vehicles from one site, Facebook Marketplace, you should document all major 3rd Party Used Car Listing sites: Cargurus.com, Autotrader.com, Cars.com, Carfax.com, Truecar.com, Edmunds.com, Ebay.com, and Bringatrailer.com. Additionally, you may want to watch for outliers at Hagerty.com, Hemmings.com, Mecum, Barrett, Sothebys, etc... Also, don't rule out Manheim Auction Transactions... Every now and then, one gets sold there.
- You may want to just really dial-in your Google Sheet, then open it up to allow anyone to add to it. That way, you don't have to have the burden of this project all on your own. If you did that, you could have separate Tabs for each Model Year and Trim Level. If you set up the sheet correctly, it could calculate the Averages each time a new car is added, and give a sort of real-time average value. This is basically what Manheim's Market Index does for Auction transactions.

Hopefully, this is helpful. I have been in the car business for 20 years, and the Evo is hands down my absolute favorite car of all time.
The following 4 users liked this post by evoixde:
DRAGHICI (Aug 20, 2023), redSLed (Mar 21, 2023), Str8Pimp (Mar 30, 2023), True Blue (Apr 19, 2023)
Old Mar 30, 2023, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
This is amazing! I have a friend on the hunt for a 9 and this is going to be extremely helpful. Thank you for taking the time to do this!
Old Mar 30, 2023, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Serious props to you sir!!
We greatly appreciate the efforts you have already made and for sharing your work. evoixde is on the right track too in suggesting getting to the point where this can be more of a crowdsourced tool, rather than a significant solo project. That said, I get that it may be a bit of a labor of love too. That is why this old dude still has his Evo 8 that I bought back in 2003 when they were fresh on the streets of the US. I am still crazy about these cars and like to keep up on things like pricing so I can one day tell the ol' wife, "I told you so!!!" LOL
Keep up the great work Tameed.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for this!!!!!!
Old Apr 19, 2023, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Excellent work. Echoing evoixde - the car's selling value is pretty key in the market. Ever since that Hagerty article I've watched the "sold for" prices start to do the R34 / A80 Supra thing (not that extreme... yet, anyway).

Great stuff.
Old May 25, 2023, 06:46 PM

Hi guys, I made a couple of changes since originally making this.
- Due to popular demand I've added the ability for anyone to add any listings they found via a form here and at the top of this thread
- I've added a work-in-progress dashboard to filter out and see the actual data here and at the top of this thread
- Created a tool for myself to automate scrapping the data off of Facebook marketplace listings and have it added to the sheet with the essential data checked off. This will result in more up-to-date data and way less work for me. The tool also creates an archive of the listing on Imgur.

I was slacking off in April (as you could tell by the large gap of missing listings) but things should run more smoothly from now on.
The following users liked this post:
deylag (May 26, 2023)
Old May 26, 2023, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Tameed
The tool also creates an archive of the listing on Imgur.
This is a good thing because I have called out a couple individuals already for buying Evos and adding in an Adjusted Owner Markup (+10-15K) and trying to resell them. By tracking old listing prices hopefully this will facilitate better decision making when people are interested in buying Evos.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man these things are selling for more than what I bought it for brand new back in 2007. Thats freakin nuts. You guys thing the prices will ever go down? Its the only thing keeping me from buying a new one.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Frizzle
Man these things are selling for more than what I bought it for brand new back in 2007. Thats freakin nuts. You guys thing the prices will ever go down? Its the only thing keeping me from buying a new one.
Only up unfortunately. I don't think we've seen anything yet in terms of peak value. Based on the current stats a 60-80k average for the evo 9 is very highly likely within the next 5-10 years. Id pick one up at these prices while you still can.

Quick Reply: Tracking All Evo Listings in The USA From Facebook Marketplace