Notices
Site Feedback / Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

Old thread bump warning?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dboz
Wow, so we chastise noobs for posting without searching. Now they do the search, find the relevant info, make a post and now we jump on them for doing THAT because the thread is old but they still have questions.
Wrong. This is about pointless bumps.

I just found a post from 06 on another forum that got bumped with plenty of new input on the subject of rubber vs. poly bushings. It was interesting to see after 5 years the developments that occurred.
That's cool to see, especially if its real input. Again, this request is about trying to prevent noise.

Just saying, if you don't like thread bumps, don't read on, but why punish those that take the noble advice from all the experts on here and use the search function, which has become famous on this site.
No punishment, just trying to make peeps think twice. Read the text of the warning, it tells the poster that they can go ahead and reply if needed.

Instead of just helping people, it's a who can jump on them hard the fastest. It really is just arrogance IMO. Many don't know simple stuff. Me included. I try to search when I can, but how relevant is an exhaust review from 1.5 years ago? Maybe the thing rusted out, maybe the muffler got loud over time....etc.
You see arrogance, I see guidance. Show me one example of a mod being mean sprited. Every locked thread ends with a direction to the right forum, newb thread, etc.

So to give it a bump, is really hurting anyone to have to read the post? Isn't that what a forum is for? Interaction on the topic? If those in the know have it all down pat, maybe the vets should be banned so the noobs can live in peace without persecution.
I agree with you, a forum has to stay interactive, relevant, and accessible. We're just saying it can be tidy and noise free.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the point is mainly just to warn people, but still allow the option to bump the thread with a reply if they truly think it's worth doing. I think it's a great idea.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:27 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IMPdemon
Wrong. This is about pointless bumps.

That's cool to see, especially if its real input. Again, this request is about trying to prevent noise.

No punishment, just trying to make peeps think twice. Read the text of the warning, it tells the poster that they can go ahead and reply if needed.

You see arrogance, I see guidance. Show me one example of a mod being mean sprited. Every locked thread ends with a direction to the right forum, newb thread, etc.

I agree with you, a forum has to stay interactive, relevant, and accessible. We're just saying it can be tidy and noise free.
Well put.
Its just a reminder that a thread is old. Its not for disciplinary purposes. I cant count how many times a guy has come in to an old thread asking the OP a question when the OP hasnt been on in years...
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GearDownSon
Well put.
Its just a reminder that a thread is old. Its not for disciplinary purposes. I cant count how many times a guy has come in to an old thread asking the OP a question when the OP hasnt been on in years...
Good point, so maybe limit searches to a more modern time frame. Or have an archived section where you can go do a search but have to submit the thread to a mod to have it reinstated as LIVE again? Something like that would work well.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

I agree with this so long as it's just a friendly warning..... but HOW IS THIS A PRIORITY OVER STOPPING PEOPLE FROM REPOSTING PICTURES????? Talk about noise and wasted bandwidth, good god.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I like the warning idea against pointless bumps.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:41 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Carloverx
I agree with this so long as it's just a friendly warning..... but HOW IS THIS A PRIORITY OVER STOPPING PEOPLE FROM REPOSTING PICTURES????? Talk about noise and wasted bandwidth, good god.
User CP -> Edit Options -> Uncheck "Show Images"

Images will then be replaced with a link you can click on to load them, or not click if you're concerned about bandwidth.

Otherwise, I don't see us changing how the quoting system works as this isn't really an issue for the vast majority of users.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
User CP -> Edit Options -> Uncheck "Show Images"

Images will then be replaced with a link you can click on to load them, or not click if you're concerned about bandwidth.

Otherwise, I don't see us changing how the quoting system works as this isn't really an issue for the vast majority of users.

you'd know better than me...

but you really think old threads being bumped affects more users and affects them more adversely than having thread after thread filled with repeatedly quoted pictures accompanied by three or four word replies? I have a really hard time believing it even comes close to equally affecting the evom experience in the same way. But like i said, you'd know better than me.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Carloverx
...thread after thread filled with repeatedly quoted pictures accompanied by three or four word replies?...
Since you mention it, this is another thing that really grinds my gears. To me it's as bad as pointless bumps, in that it's noise.

Sooo, why not start your own thread requesting it?
Old Jan 26, 2011, 03:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this is a good idea. +1 on fixing the search function though. i've never successfully searched for anything here. the easiest way to do it is google it, then click the results for this forum...that's sad.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 07:43 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ODUB
this is a good idea. +1 on fixing the search function though. i've never successfully searched for anything here. the easiest way to do it is google it, then click the results for this forum...that's sad.
Not really sad. Google is designed to handle massive amounts of data. There's not a VB search setup out there that can truly handle the size of EvoM's DB. Our search issues are a symptom of our massive size.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

the search function has never worked properly for me, and i have been accused of bumping a fossil thread before for asking a question about the topic. is that really that bad? i can see it getting annoying but theres nothing stopping you from hitting the back button and moving on to the next thread if you dont feel like re reading an old discussion.