Notices
Site Feedback / Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

buying on this site?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by installer
can anyone explain to me how i can buy a car on this site with this dumb 15 post rule, and then i can't post. so how exactly am i supposed to get to 15?????
i understand your frustration but you have been a member on here for almost 3 years and all you have is 1 post? thats your own fault
Old Mar 11, 2011, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by FERNO
Sorry man, but this is nonsense. Your implying that evom Evos are not stock. I'm sure the stock owners love that. And your implying that the tons of cars elsewhere are stock, when 2 of the 5 I looked at from Autotrader had cams and a shepherd trans.

Every Evo that I looked at on here had the stock Enkeis except one.

Every one had the stock turbo.

Every one had stock cams except one.

The car I bought on Autotrader has HKS 272s and an AMS GT35R.

Just because someone is an Evo noob doesn't make them a speed noob. I've had seven bikes that make a modded Evo feel slow, and one car that did.

Just sayin'.
Congrats? This is a forum, not an autotrader. If you can't follow simple forum rules, then this place may not be for you.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AWDPowah
Congrats? This is a forum, not an autotrader. If you can't follow simple forum rules, then this place may not be for you.
What rule am I not following?

Last edited by FERNO; Mar 12, 2011 at 09:18 AM. Reason: not worth the rebuttal
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:18 AM

I'll say it is pretty frustrating.

I joined the forums because I was shopping for an Evo.

I made a few PM contacts on cars for sale, made a few auction offers, talked to a few online sellers, etc. I was really beating the bushes.

Right before I bought my car, I PM'ed two sellers in the Cars for Sale section, but I was looking pretty hard for the right car. I made an offer to a guy 5 hours away via Autotrader, and he accepted. The next day I got the responses from the two evolutionm guys I PM'ed the day before, but it was too late, I had already made the other deal.

I'm very happy with the car I got, but two evom marketplace sellers had a chance at selling and did not make it. Was it because I couldn't bump their sale post with a "PM'ed"? Hard to tell, but it is food for thought.

Btw, I joined the forums, looked for and bought a car, and have ordered parts for it, and I STILL cannot post in the marketplace. I think it is next weekend I'll be able to.

Btw btw, I'm pretty sure that posting in Site Feedback does not help your post count either.

Still, got my car, got my forum membership, soon will have marketplace privileges, so I'm good. But I agree that it is annoying. I understand not being able to create threads in FS. I understand not being able to reply in the parts section. But I think being able to Reply to a Vehicles FS thread could be crucial for a prospective new Evo owner, and seriously increase the chances for members to complete a car sale.
So how would posting in the FS thread affect response time compared to PM? The OP has to check the thread same as he has to check his PM's. Right?
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Was it because I couldn't bump their sale post with a "PM'ed"? Hard to tell, but it is food for thought.
Originally Posted by bigmurf124
So how would posting in the FS thread affect response time compared to PM? The OP has to check the thread same as he has to check his PM's. Right?
I'd say the notification method. If they only refresh their FS thread tab, they may miss the small bold Private Messages 1 at the top right. I do this on some threads for days at a time, most recently my quiet exhaust thread.

I think that is where the habit of people posting "PM'ed" in the thread came from, as a way of telling people to check their PM's in case they are only monitoring the thread.

I'm not saying this is what happened, because frankly, I don't know. But it is possible. I don't necessarily care, but the sellers might. Then again, maybe they feel the trade off is not having to deal with people deciding for one day that they want an Evo then wasting their time before disappearing onto another forum.

All I can speak on is my personal experience. I had two sellers express the equivalent of "aw crap" when I told them I didn't hear back from them so I made an offer on another car and that it had been accepted.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:45 AM

+1 on pm-ing the seller.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AWDPowah
I'd rather see annoying repetitive threads like this myself than see another member get scammed because someone signed up, posted stuff for sale, then made off like a bandit all within a couple hours.
^ This. There are so many scammers on the internet today. Although the 15 posts can be easily reached, it's just another level of protection.

That being said, someone who is serious about scamming will easily exploit this level of protection, so you must use others ways to protect yourself as a buyer/seller.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 01:23 PM

I'd say the notification method. If they only refresh their FS thread tab, they may miss the small bold Private Messages 1 at the top right. I do this on some threads for days at a time, most recently my quiet exhaust thread.

I think that is where the habit of people posting "PM'ed" in the thread came from, as a way of telling people to check their PM's in case they are only monitoring the thread.

I'm not saying this is what happened, because frankly, I don't know. But it is possible. I don't necessarily care, but the sellers might. Then again, maybe they feel the trade off is not having to deal with people deciding for one day that they want an Evo then wasting their time before disappearing onto another forum.

All I can speak on is my personal experience. I had two sellers express the equivalent of "aw crap" when I told them I didn't hear back from them so I made an offer on another car and that it had been accepted.
Point taken. It does seem to be a situational thing. But to be fair, in your case, you did allow only one day for the sellers on evom to respond and some people can't be checking the forums, PM's, or emails 24/7. Yes, if they want to sell the car they will be diligent in checking, but one day is hardly a long wait. Take into account sleeping for 6 or 7 hours and going to work for another 8 hours. That's 15 hours of a day gone.

I put way too much effort into this conversation already. I guess what I'm saying is don't bash the policy because you can't get instant gratification. I have zero posts (I stay mainly in the regional forums) and I get by perfectly fine surfing the classifieds on here.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kreeker
^ This. There are so many scammers on the internet today. Although the 15 posts can be easily reached, it's just another level of protection.

That being said, someone who is serious about scamming will easily exploit this level of protection, so you must use others ways to protect yourself as a buyer/seller.
Yes sir. I agree. And I see the benefits of the policy. I just wanted to chime in with the other side.

Originally Posted by bigmurf124
Point taken. It does seem to be a situational thing. But to be fair, in your case, you did allow only one day for the sellers on evom to respond and some people can't be checking the forums, PM's, or emails 24/7. Yes, if they want to sell the car they will be diligent in checking, but one day is hardly a long wait. Take into account sleeping for 6 or 7 hours and going to work for another 8 hours. That's 15 hours of a day gone.

I put way too much effort into this conversation already. I guess what I'm saying is don't bash the policy because you can't get instant gratification. I have zero posts (I stay mainly in the regional forums) and I get by perfectly fine surfing the classifieds on here.
Points taken also. Lack of instant gratification is absolutely the source of the frustration for me. I'm impatient to start with, and I also have limited times when I can search for, buy, and complete the deal on a car. My schedule is such that if I can't make a deal happen in a week end-to-end, it will often be 3-4 weeks before I can get back to even searching. When I get ready to move, I go.

It's no big deal, I got a great car. My third color choice, but used buyers can only be so picky, at least it wasn't my 5th acceptable color choice.

I already saw your join date and post count before you mentioned it and figured you were coming from experience with being able to communicate with market traders.

We've both put too much effort into this conversation already, but I do appreciate you taking the time.

--Jay
Old Mar 12, 2011, 02:03 PM

^ haha, cool. well, I guess to end my part of the convo, enjoy your EVO!