Notices
Site Feedback / Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

Home page - MERGE

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2015, 08:48 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
I don't know, I've not been on mobile lately.

Bob
Old Feb 9, 2015, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, I'm sorry, saying it sucks doesn't help. My suggestion is to put it back the way it was. I've been a member on here for over 10+ years and I don't think I have ever clicked on an article. I think people who come to this site don't want articles (for the most part) they want to gain knowledge/information reading through forum posts by other members.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 05:08 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by escodotcarter
Ok, I'm sorry, saying it sucks doesn't help. My suggestion is to put it back the way it was. I've been a member on here for over 10+ years and I don't think I have ever clicked on an article. I think people who come to this site don't want articles (for the most part) they want to gain knowledge/information reading through forum posts by other members.
Thank you for the input!

Bob
Old Feb 10, 2015, 09:44 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Awful? I think it looks great! It's been totally modernized, its clean, tight layout.

Maybe its just the web developer in me saying this, but I think it's an excellent overhaul of the landing page. Less cluttered, easy to navigate, and follows the new standard for page navigation.

Thumbs up!
Old Feb 10, 2015, 09:48 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

right, but content of the articles is what google indexes, and it helps people find the site. Losing a whole directory of them could have been a devastating loss for them, but, i think its parlayed into keeping the front page relevant and clean.

Also, you gotta look at it from the perspective of new users. Like you said, you've been here for 10 years: you know where to go to find stuff. To a newcomer, the old front page could be a bit overwhelming. This new one though is very easy to look at, quick to find stuff, and it has all the new navigation basics like rounded edges, proper nav header and footers, etc. It really is (at least fundamentally and objectively) a very good redesign
Old Feb 10, 2015, 09:50 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by twabtoxer
First Sony now evom... this makes me sick!
honestly, its the way the whole industry is moving for design. EvoM was actually quite dated in the the front page layout in some areas. Now, it's inline with all the major new design elements.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 09:53 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

New home page looks great! Much more modern and easy to use.

I like it. Easy to use, clean, tight. Just like I like my Evo! Also like the modern updates with the rounded menus, white space, and its very easy to get around.

Old Feb 10, 2015, 01:48 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
new home page has effectively ruined my entire user experience. I hate it. I want to just be able to see the latest post right on the home page. Whoever decided to change it should be fired.
RAAAAGE, haha.

Just use-
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ for your landing page.
To see all the recent posts, click "New Posts" at the top of the page in the black bar.
Disaster averted, sir!
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:20 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think it is just a google or internet explorer redesign.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 01:11 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by sblvro
I think it is just a google or internet explorer redesign.
It's neither; it's a new front end.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its visually very modern. Despite that i find myself visiting the site far less because it takes longer to find what i'm looking for which are threads that are relevant to me. Before they were right there.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 09:25 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by rongdoer
Its visually very modern. Despite that i find myself visiting the site far less because it takes longer to find what i'm looking for which are threads that are relevant to me. Before they were right there.
I understand, what specific feature(s) are you talking about. Thanks!

Bob
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:54 AM
EvoM Administrator

Bob,

The old front end had some data populated from the "New Posts" button off to one side.

On the current page, we have "Popular Threads" and "Marketplace Deals" boxes on the right side.

I think what we would need to do to satisfy the missing component from the old front page would be to make a third box, but put it on top, and title it "Most Recent Threads". Have it be a little bit taller than the other boxes, since there is room, and populate 15-20 threads from the New Posts search query. Even if it only updates once an hour, it would have new and relevant threads people are used to seeing in this way if not accustomed to using "New Posts".
Old Feb 20, 2015, 05:54 AM
Admin Emeritus

Hi!

The 'Latest Discussions' panel should be added in the next couple of working days. Thanks!

Bob