Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Any Evo tuners in San Antonio?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2006, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Evo tuners in San Antonio?

Looks like I am gonna be moving there within the next few months, was wondering if there were any reputable evo tuners down there. Also how is the evo community in that area? any meets or clubs?
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:03 PM

bump...i would like to know this as well, just because I dont see too many meets/get togethers for san antonio evos posted up as often as dallas/houston.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

austin kid. mzm is the only awd dyno around here. get up with phoenixevo he can probably help you out with that he is a bit more familiar with that area than me. those guys meet up all the time and go for runs. good luck and welcome to san antone
Old Dec 31, 2006, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Yah if r ever want to check out austin let me know and welcome to TX
Old Jan 1, 2007, 01:23 AM

San antonio shop, your best bet is precision-r at 2405 boardwalk. Dubix evo 9 went 11.8s at 115mph on the 1/4 and is tune by precision-r, my car went 12.6s with a sloppy 1.9 60's hit 112mph in the 1/4. PM Dubix and ask for details, he'll tell you more.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by purevibez
austin kid. mzm is the only awd dyno around here. get up with phoenixevo he can probably help you out with that he is a bit more familiar with that area than me. those guys meet up all the time and go for runs. good luck and welcome to san antone

To the original thread starter:

If you want your car taken car of the right way--don't go to MZM. I have talked with people that have gone there where Mohamed screwed up their cars and didn't do anything to make it right.

Money orientated, overpriced, and overhyped. Why pay $600-800 for a tune?! There is no logical reason for this. You don't even need to go to them for numbers because there's another 4 wheel dyno in New Braunfels.

My advice? Choose the parts you want to install yourself, install them yourself (where you're capable of doing so--if you're not contact Mitsuorder or myself and we can probably help you with the installs of most bolt-ons and maintenance) and then have either William from Precision-R tune the car or even better, wait for an AMS tuning session (which we have done 3 times in 6 months).

Last edited by belizelittle39439; Jul 10, 2007 at 05:38 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 07:39 PM
Former Sponsor

if you are up in dallas i can help you out, and i'll be making a trip down to houston/austin, and would like to do it more regularly. also, my tunes will run you half as much money as anyone else...
Old Jul 10, 2007, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

You charge $100 for tunes? Because that's what I pay for retunes with AMS.

Also Kevin, how long have you been tuning and what kind of formal training have you had? How many cars do you tune a day? What other platforms are you proficient in?

It would be nice to know there's other options out there for folks.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 05:18 AM
Former Sponsor

i also charge 100 for retunes, but i only charge 200 for the initial tune (ams is 300-400 if i'm not mistaken...).

i've been tuning evos for over a year now with evoscan (about when it was released). my formal training was on the UTA formula SAE team (2 years there, one as electrical/tuning lead, the other as chief engineer then team captain), mentored by alumni which included one of the leads on the acura leMan engine development team and honda indy engines as well. also helped by drag race legend bob norwood, an engineer from garrett turbo, and helped by the performance electronics company (they develop ECUs and we got to help test stuff for them) and quite a few others. this was while working on my masters degree in mechanical engineering specializing in controls. granted i did spend to much time on the race car and not enough time on my graduate classes, i put that degree on hold to purse other things. i work full time as a simulation/controls engineer at lockheed martin where i can quite literally say i'm a rocket scientist

i tune prolly 2-3 cars a week in my spare time, all of which are evos. so i ONLY do evos because i don't have time to do anything else as of yet. my business is a registered company with texas, so it is legit. i do plan on starting working on subarus as well in the next couple weeks as the tuning software is quite similar.

hope that helps a little! really i just need to take a trip down to SA/austin during one of your meets and talk with all you guys to let you get to know me and understand a little of what i am capable of. that really is the best way to get to know your tuner
Old Jul 11, 2007, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

In response to the earlier thread. MZM does good work, but there tunes are very conservative and they charge $450 for 2 hours of Dyno/road tuning.

For the money and the experience, KevinD is the best bang for your buck.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 06:24 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by MRevo2006
To the original thread starter:

If you want your car taken car of the right way--don't go to MZM. I have talked with people that have gone there where Mohamed screwed up their cars and didn't do anything to make it right.
Money orientated, overpriced, and overhyped. Why pay $600-800 for a tune?! There is no logical reason for this. You don't even need to go to them for numbers because there's another 4 wheel dyno in New Braunfels.

My advice? Choose the parts you want to install yourself, install them yourself (where you're capable of doing so--if you're not contact Mitsuorder or myself and we can probably help you with the installs of most bolt-ons and maintenance) and then have either William from Precision-R tune the car or even better, wait for an AMS tuning session (which we have done 3 times in 6 months).

WOW..........thats crazy! IMHO people should NOT be making these kind of statement if they NEVER had first hand experience with these shops.

"Well my girlfriend brothers cousin said that they do good work!"
Old Jul 11, 2007, 07:21 AM
j8
Evolving Member

Since this thread has been brought back from the dead. Here is my opinion on the whole who is the better tuner. You have a choice who you take your car to and it basicly comes down to who you trust. Everyone mentioned in this thread in my opinion knows there stuff. Chris, Kevin, William and MZM are all professional tuners that have a great deal of experience in tuning EVO's. All of which can tune your car properly. I think it really boils down to who is going to spend the right amount of time on your car. I have never believed in the one hour tune. Past experience and seeing these tunes has given me a sour taste in my mouth. If someone is able to tune your car in three pulls you may want to look else where. They are not spending the right amount of time on your car. It takes more than that to get your tune straight. If you are happy with your tune and like how the car drives then that is all that matters.

On another note. Don't listen to people to much on who to trust. Most of the people here are what I call bandwagoners. Kind of like the people who love there home football team only because they are winning. When they are losing they are the first ones to say they suck without giving them a chance to come back and prove they don't. One day they love one tuner the next day they hate them. Make your own decision based on your personal experiences. If I like a tuner and they do a great job for me that is all that matters. If they suck and try to rip me off then I will not return to them.

Last edited by j8; Jul 11, 2007 at 07:42 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by milo
WOW..........thats crazy! IMHO people should NOT be making these kind of statement if they NEVER had first hand experience with these shops.

"Well my girlfriend brothers cousin said that they do good work!"
Unfortunately for your argument the persons's that I've spoken with personally are on this site as well. If you can find them you can get the entire drama straight from the horses mouth. Additionally my interaction with them personally was not a positive one.

There are tuners and shops with zero negative feedback, and there are those that do not. MZM is one that I myself did not like the way my interaction went down, nor do I feel the people I've spoken with would lie about it. Take it with a grain of salt. If you like them, great!

It's just odd how there are certain people on here who seem to throw their name around constantly--when the shop doesn't even want to become a vendor on the same site they tell people to go on--to throw their name around.

Last edited by belizelittle39439; Jul 11, 2007 at 08:46 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
i also charge 100 for retunes, but i only charge 200 for the initial tune (ams is 300-400 if i'm not mistaken...).

i've been tuning evos for over a year now with evoscan (about when it was released). my formal training was on the UTA formula SAE team (2 years there, one as electrical/tuning lead, the other as chief engineer then team captain), mentored by alumni which included one of the leads on the acura leMan engine development team and honda indy engines as well. also helped by drag race legend bob norwood, an engineer from garrett turbo, and helped by the performance electronics company (they develop ECUs and we got to help test stuff for them) and quite a few others. this was while working on my masters degree in mechanical engineering specializing in controls. granted i did spend to much time on the race car and not enough time on my graduate classes, i put that degree on hold to purse other things. i work full time as a simulation/controls engineer at lockheed martin where i can quite literally say i'm a rocket scientist

i tune prolly 2-3 cars a week in my spare time, all of which are evos. so i ONLY do evos because i don't have time to do anything else as of yet. my business is a registered company with texas, so it is legit. i do plan on starting working on subarus as well in the next couple weeks as the tuning software is quite similar.

hope that helps a little! really i just need to take a trip down to SA/austin during one of your meets and talk with all you guys to let you get to know me and understand a little of what i am capable of. that really is the best way to get to know your tuner
Thanks for the feedback Kevin. I appreciate it. Sounds like you're a smart guy! I'm glad you didn't take the post as a negative one because after reading it--the tone could have been misconstrued.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Hey man I was in a mess just like you then I found PrecisionR (Thanks to J8). William Ng is the guy who owns the shop and he did a great job with my car...car is a beast now. Spends around 2-3 hours on your tune to get it just right and is very helpful and has outstanding customer service.

He did my cams,testpipe, custom tune,NGKBPR8ES plugs, heavy duty T-bolt clamps on the whole system, and boost leak test for a great price. William is a funny dude who knows his stuff and he is local which worked best for me I will be going back to him soon for clutch install and the 10.5.

I was going to go with KevinD but I couldnt get anything set up.

I can give you his number if you want.

Last edited by AtO-MiX; Jul 11, 2007 at 08:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Any Evo tuners in San Antonio?