Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Autocross in the Dallas / Fort Worth area scheule September onward

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2008, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it was 51.5xx. But ya I was the blind squirrel today.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

The results are up: http://www.autocross.com/tr/modules/...ndex.php?id=72

Lancers in some form or fashion put on a good show!

The Berry's in their FP VIII, me in my X, Evo_Someday in his VIII and a Lancer Ralliart in HS all took home 1st or 2nd.

I wonder if that Ralliart knew about the contingency program?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goofygrin
I think it was 51.5xx. But ya I was the blind squirrel today.
Oh yeah -- you're right. That being the case I was 1.074 behind. But wow -- what an excellent race.

Run 1 - I start out pretty good and make first place
goofy grin 55.022
Evo_Someday 54.463

Run 2 - we both hit a cone in the middle section - I'm still holding first in class
goofy grin 53.943+1
Evo_Someday 53.718+1

Run 3 - goofy grin pulls ahead and takes the lead by 2/10th of a second - still a close race
goofy grin 53.133
Evo_Someday 53.333

Run 4 - I messup and go 4/10ths slower than last time - goofy grin drops more time off giving him a 0.562 second lead. Still relatively close.
goofy grin 52.771
Evo_Someday 53.754

Ok - so at this point.. goofy grin was about to make his 5th run and I'm figuring I need to drop about 6/10ths of a second to take the lead back. Hoping that maybe he'll cone or go slower or something.. heheh

Run 5 - goofy grin drops 1.176 off his previous time! What?! Now I'm in a position where I'd have to drop 1.74 seconds off my fastest time to take the lead... whoa. Well, I only managed to drop .444 seconds off my best. Yeah, I messed up a bit.
goofy grin 51.595
Evo_Someday 52.889

So all in all - he got me by 1.074 seconds. That's a big win. Congrats! But compared to the rest of the class - we murdered them all. Third place was 1.180 seconds behind me.

Looking back -- MAN! I should have run in BSP. The 1st place car there ran a 58.224! I would have been 50 bucks richer.

Also - goofy grin was only 0.928 off from the regular STU class winner. A sure sign that we're getting better. Goofy grin, though, more so than me. But I'm impressed. Next event - two days long - in less than two weeks.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

I could have won SM (Street Mod) as well!

;-)
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, it was a good day for Mitsubishi. Sebastian beat me with his smooth driving, 48.7 to 49.2. Our car was pushing like an absolute pig and really should have run 1.5-2.0 seconds faster. I'm now beginning the winter suspension work, starting with a new term I learned yesterday from Bob Tunnell - "wheel rate". We are running 700 lbs lighter than when the car handled well in BSP trim a couple of years ago. Lighter springs are probably called for and I'll need to consider returning to the OEM front bar. I hope that next year the handling will be up to par with the acceleration & braking.

Mark

The results are up: http://www.autocross.com/tr/modules/...ndex.php?id=72

Lancers in some form or fashion put on a good show!

The Berry's in their FP VIII, me in my X, Evo_Someday in his VIII and a Lancer Ralliart in HS all took home 1st or 2nd.

I wonder if that Ralliart knew about the contingency program?
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Mark, you guys were lifting the inside rear still on Sunday. I know that with the low traction, the light cars were having issues with spinning out (the mod cars and sae cars -- and you). I wonder if some sort of front end downforce could be gotten from somewhere?
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Someday
... Looking back -- MAN! I should have run in BSP. The 1st place car there ran a 58.224! I would have been 50 bucks richer.
The guy who won BSP in the orange '69 Corvette is a Texas Region legend, that not many of you "young whipper-snappers" would know. It was Bill Thompson, who used to race SCCA actively in the late 80's/early 90's. He would routinely trade wins with Tommy Saunders when Tommy ran his Haltech-injected, superwide, red '70 Corvette monster. I'm sure Bill is in his mid-70s now and its been several years since he's seen an autocross course. If he shows up next event, go up and say hello. He's very knowledgeable and extremely friendly.

Mark

Last edited by Evo8RA; Oct 21, 2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8RA
Originally Posted by Evo_Someday
... Looking back -- MAN! I should have run in BSP. The 1st place car there ran a 58.224! I would have been 50 bucks richer.
The guy who won BSP in the orange '69 Corvette is a Texas Region legend, that not many of you "young whipper-snappers" would know. It was Bill Thompson, who used to race SCCA actively in the late 80's/early 90's. He would routinely trade wins with Tommy Saunders when Tommy ran his Haltech-injected, superwide, red '70 Corvette monster. I'm sure Bill is in his mid-70s now and its been several years since he's seen an autocross course. If he shows up next event, go up and say hello. He's very knowledgeable and extremely friendly.

Mark
Not to mention that vette was beautiful and sounded awesome.

I miss my vette .
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

Mark, you guys were lifting the inside rear still on Sunday. I know that with the low traction, the light cars were having issues with spinning out (the mod cars and sae cars -- and you). I wonder if some sort of front end downforce could be gotten from somewhere?
I can't do anything aero in FP, but that would not help the amount of problem we're seeing. Though many of the successful BSP/SM Evos have used the bigger front bar, I think it may be a bit much for our lightweight. I never had a problem with so much understeer when I had a stock bar. I think the spins occurred when we tried using our throttle-on oversteer to help correct the understeer problem, which tended to be a bit treacherous on such a slick surface.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Old Oct 22, 2008, 02:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8RA
The guy who won BSP in the orange '69 Corvette is a Texas Region legend, that not many of you "young whipper-snappers" would know. It was Bill Thompson, who used to race SCCA actively in the late 80's/early 90's. ..... If he shows up next event, go up and say hello. He's very knowledgeable and extremely friendly.
I've not heard of him before but I'll be sure meet him at the next event. Thanks.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

The next autocross event is the LAST Equipe Rapide event of the year and is a two day event. Saturday and Sunday.. this coming weekend... Mineral Wells.

I will be there! I know Goofygrin will be too.

Anyone else?
Old Nov 8, 2008, 03:20 AM
Evolved Member

Today is the day!!!
Old Nov 9, 2008, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

Should I compete in this autocross?
I'm super noob driving an evo.
Really dont want to embarrase myself in the public.
But really want to have fun
Old Nov 9, 2008, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by joon82
Should I compete in this autocross?
I'm super noob driving an evo.
Really dont want to embarrase myself in the public.
But really want to have fun
Today's autocross at Mineral Wells was already underway when you sent your post, but next weekend would actually be a better one for you anyway. The last SCCA autocross of the season is next Sunday (16 Nov) at La Grave Field. It is located just north of Ft. Worth. Here's a link to the website:

http://www.autocross.com/texasregion/

Both Evo_Someday and goofygrin will probably be in attendance with their Evo's and can give you some tips. I'll be out of town that day. Prior to going, read the FAQ section identified on the left side of the link above. You can register on-site at the event 7:30-8:45am and loaner helmets are available at no cost. Your car will be classed based on the mods you've done, but you will probably want to run in the "Novice" class and compete using the Street Mod index. The wide front fenders probably put you in StreetMod. A car classing information link is also found at the link above. It has a grid that shows basically what is permitted (not what is required) in each category (Stock, Street Prepared, etc.). Set your tire pressures around 44 before driving out and then ask the two guys above what they've found good. Have fun!

Mark

Last edited by Evo8RA; Nov 9, 2008 at 10:00 AM.