Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Buy a salvage due to theft?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2008, 11:53 AM
LRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going have to agree with most and say pass. Theft loss can be as stated before very tricky and there isnt really a good way of knowing what was all the damage done to the car til you rebuild it and start using it.
If your considering salvage, I think you should rather look into lightly crashed cars where atleast you know whats wrong with them, than a whole bunch of diffferent small problems. Couse also as stated before a small electric problem such as wires being cut can be very difficult just to find and let alone repair.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 11:56 AM
LRD

Originally Posted by goofygrin
you said "stiff"

What is IAA? And any other cool things in the area for sale?
IAA is a salvage vehicle auction, however you must be a dealer to purchase vehicles from here. webiste is www.iaai.com
Old Aug 26, 2008, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

wicked cool, its apparently had a 1.8l swapped into it as well.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

I appreciate all your opinions... I think I need to stick with my original plan to buy an Evo X. Dawn was hoping to avoid another car payment in the future. Or if its really a problem, could always buy another VIII for cheap. I love all Evos.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 09:56 PM

I just drove an X the other day, it's absolutely stunning. Don't expect the 0-60 times of the 9 but the chassis and drivability are significantly improved. Much more civilized, a better daily and a better competition car.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

I checked my e-mail. I asked if he'd throw in shipping earlier in the day and he said he would. So it would be $14,900 shipped. That means, if I am really lucky, it could be a working Evo IX for $17,900 or very unlucky it would need a lot more.

Its a tough decision. I need to discuss with Dawn again. If I do pick this up, I will need the help of the community to get this car back together this winter.

This car represents a fun project and it lots cheaper then spending $30k on a new Evo.

I'm sure you can tell I am torn on this. Its time to flip a coin!
Old Aug 27, 2008, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Let me help you decide -- if the transfer case is screwed expect to add maybe $4000 more. If it needs a new clutch add another $1000 to that. What you end up saving in car payments you can end up pouring in to it every month just to keep it running.

Also remember that no matter what you do -- it will ALWAYS be a salvage vehicle so think about future resale as well.

On the other hand -- you may just get lucky. It's all just a roll of the dice.

Good luck with your decision.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

And to throw fuel on the Evo X fire, I rec'd an email from MMNA with some updated promotions on the X

GSR - purchase at 2.9% for 48 months or lease for $389/mo for 24 months
MR - purchase at 2.9% for 48 months or lease for $498/mo for 42 months (yes 42)

if anyone wants me to forward the email to them, just PM me with your address
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

I am aware of how expensive Evo drivetrain parts are. It was fun replacing my transmission and TC as a result of incorrect fluid back in 2004. I had GIECO come to the rescue with their new warranty coverage that I had. They actually subrogated against the shop that screwed up.

Anyway, he assures me that the Evo is mechanically sound, but with out being able to fly to Portland and look at it personally I am going to have no choice but to pass. If it was $10k or was in that shape and had a clean title, I would have already bought it.

Dawn is going to call Don Herring Jr. about that Evo X I always wanted.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

I am aware of how expensive Evo drivetrain parts are. It was fun replacing my transmission and TC as a result of incorrect fluid back in 2004. I had GIECO come to the rescue with their new warranty coverage that I had. They actually subrogated against the shop that screwed up.

Anyway, he assures me that the Evo is mechanically sound, but you can't trust anyones word these days. Dawn is going to call Don Herring Jr. about that Evo X I always wanted.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 08:33 PM
LRD

If this car really is in IAA (I never checked) you should consider looking for a salvage dealer with a license to buy from here, to take a look at it online for you, who knows maybe you can have the winning bid on it for say 8-10k? However it would still go down to sellers approval but its worth a shot if your that decided on it. And true once you buy salvage it will always be a salvaged car but you can get a Rebuilt Salvaged title, atleast in some states if im not mistaken.