Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

800whp+ goal...need a tuner, recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 800whp+ goal...need a tuner, recommendations?

Let me start off by saying please forgive the long post. I like to get everything off my head. But anyway, I just finished a big build and I need a reputable tuner. I am from Lafayette, Louisiana (about 3.5 hours from Houston, TX; 6 hours from San Antonio; 6 hours from Dallas/Fort Worth). I have done some research and it seems like there are 5 major players around those areas: Kozmic Motorsports, Inline Racing, Evolution Dynamics, JMS, and MDR. The research I have done tells me all 5 of these shops are good at what they do.

Kozmic motorsports (Houston) - This shop has put out some records with the evo X. It seems as if they do a lot more EVO 10s than evo 8/9 which is something that is making me second guess them. Easy 3.5 hour drive is a plus.

Inline Racingm (Houston) - I don't know too much about them. I actually did not find out about them until a couple week ago. They apparently have built some fast evo 8s and have some records on their website. And again, in Houston, so the drive is easier.

Evolution Dynamics (Dallas) - 6 hours away, so the drive sucks. This shop has done a lot of road racing evo 8/9. I am more about drag racing, but that should not affect this shops ability to work on and tune evos.

JMS (San Antonio)- I have seen some fast Evos come out of this place. 6 hour drive as well, so that sucks. I have spoken with Jorge through email and he is very nice and informative.

MDR (Kemah) - I have dealt with this shop before. Although I read nothing but good things about them, I was not satisfied with the final outcome. Sorry MDR.

So that's the little I know about the 5 shops. I know you hear good and bad things about every shop, that's inevitable. I am paranoid though about who to choose. The last 2 shops I have dealt with since owning my evo have let me down.

Here is a little break down of my setup:
Evo 9
Fully built mivec motor
10:1 compression
GSC s3 cams
t4 6466 1.15 ar
sparktech cop
FIC 2150s
AEM EMS V2

The kicker is finding someone I can trust with the AEM V2 tune. I am wanting a full flex fuel map. Please give me your opinions and recommendations. And please do not tell me to go to this shop or that shop because they tuned your or your friends bolt on evo with open source and made 350whp. I want real feedback on shops who have done big power builds/tunes on AEM EMS.

Thanks
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

I know this is not local to you but give Lucas a call over at English Racing. He may be willing to do remote tuning or depending on how long you can wait he will be down for Tx2K.

The only reason I mention this to you is because your setup is very similar to mine. I am running v2 with flex fuel and Lucas have done several cars with very similar setups.

Worst case he can mention to you who he would recomend out of your options. I am interested in what you decide as I am now about 2 hours away from you and if I stay here long term I will need to find someone to help me with mine.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:28 AM

Aaron from English Racing will fly to you and go to a local dyno if you want. he did that with 20 or so evo's here in Kansas. he flew down on a Thursday, went to the dyno on friday and he tuned us all.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cadmonkey
Aaron from English Racing will fly to you and go to a local dyno if you want. he did that with 20 or so evo's here in Kansas. he flew down on a Thursday, went to the dyno on friday and he tuned us all.
Aaron is not doing AEM tuning. Lucas does all the AEM tuning.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

English Racing was who I wanted to go with for a remote tune but they will not do them for AEM. I guess I can get a quote for him to fly to me...sounds expensive though, lol. I'm sure it was different when he had 20 to tune instead of one.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try to contact Chris Delgado. He works out of D3 Performance and has been known to travel for tuning. The shop is in Houston, but it is more than worth it if using anything other than the stock ECU. Chris has set world records and is incredibly smart with what he does.

Edit: Do a google search or check out their FB page and see the power a lot of their cars come out making.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

I will definitely look into them...I am surprised no one has anything to say about the shops I mentioned
Old Dec 18, 2014, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by maknuge
I will definitely look into them...I am surprised no one has anything to say about the shops I mentioned
I have opinions about three of the above mentioned, but I rather just mention a damn good tuner for the platform you have than state how I feel about any of the others.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 02:49 PM

I had my EVO tuned last October with Kevin & Evo Dynamics. I had an AEM on before my retune and did not like the drivability in downtown Houston (Office and Home). My wife finally convinced me to take it to Kevin. I've dealt with the shop that did the build on the EVO and my WRX for the last 9 yrs and was very hard to trust another shop. I'm glad I took it to Kevin. He recommended to put the stock ECU back in even though it was setup for SD. The car drives 10x better and makes a lot more power. Hope this makes your decision easier. My mods list is below:

2.0 Litre Engine longblock was built and assembled by Chris at Engine Logics in Houston
rotating assembly is chamfered and balanced to 10,000 rpms
85.5mm CP pistons with 9:1 compression ratio
Pauter connecting rods
ARP head stud bolts
ACL high perfprmance bearing set
ARP Main Bolts
Balance Shaft Eliminator
Supertech valve springs
Supertech titanium retainers
Bronze valve guides
35mm intake valves
31.5mm inconel exhaust valves
HKS 272 intake and exhaust Camshafts
adjustable cam gears
Greddy timing belt
cylinder heads are ported and polished
Magnus cast Intake Manifold(Swain Tech Coated)
Boomba 75mm Billet Throttle Body
Buschur Racing upper and lower intercooler piping
Buschur Racing Race intercooler
Buschur Racing cat delete back exhaust
GM 5 bar map sensor
Greddy timing belt
Full Race HTA 3586 twin scroll turbo with ar.70(Swain Tech Coated 1.06 hot side)
Full Race twin scroll tubular exhaust manifold(Swain Tech Coated)
Full Race mid pipe and down pipe(Swain Tech Coated)
Tial blow off valve
Tial twin 38mm wastegates

Fuel:
Perrin high flow fuel rail
FIC 1650cc injectors
Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator
Walbro 255 in tank fuel pump
Fuel lab external fuel pump
AMS fuel Surge Tank
Old Jan 26, 2015, 05:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Tuner

The Best out of the lot you have listed is KOZMIC Hands Down Speak to Eric or Dave
Old Jan 27, 2015, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

I am leaning towards kozmic. I already chose aem, spent the money for it, I am not turning back to stock ecu now.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 08:44 PM

TFP in San antonio is really good and reputable..They tune a ton of evo8s and 9s from all over. The owners both own 900-1100whp evo8s. Im not quite sure if they tune with AEM but Matt is legit, he knows and talks to the guys at English racing about builds. Check out there Facebook page. or pm me for contact info.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 06:02 AM

I actually bought my car from inline (it was in bad shape) but from what I've heard inline is a great shop and Huey has tuned some super fast evos. He will be tuning mine. Huey also tuned one of my best friends 921hp k20 mr2, I'm in Jennings man not real far from you! I'd like to check out your car sometime
Old Nov 3, 2015, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

So who did you go with?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

Lucas English. He did a remote flex fuel tune for me. He is badass at what he does. Very easy to work with. I can put anything from straight 93 up to e98 in my car and it runs and starts up great at all ethanol levels.

I chose to go remote tune only because I did not feel like traveling. It had nothing to do with any of the shops I named above.