Notices
Southeast Region Includes AL, FL, GA, NC, SC, TN, KY.

Raleigh/Durham/Triangle Area Meet

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by dbotkin5
Yea, I went. It was a decent turnout, although I'm really not sure how many evo's are even still around here. I really liked that first silver one pictured. It had a very nice/clean setup. Also got to hang out with Jim and Rodney for a while so that was nice.
Thanks, that one was mine. I appreciate the kind words

Originally Posted by EVOXTCY
@bmurray
Nice pictures. I thought it was great turn out, nice seeing everyone.

By the way, where did you get the evolution heat shield?

Rodney
Thanks! Was a nice event. I like those kind of "toned down" meets. Not an overwhelming amount of cars, mature group of people, etc. Had a good time. Will definitely have to go to next year's.

I got the evo 9 shield from an ebay seller. I forget his username but i believe if you just search "evo 9 heat shield" or something along those lines, you will find it.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm new to the area and hopefully will be getting my hands on an evo ix fairly soon. I am located in Morrisville, west of raleigh, South of durham and was wondering what shops are recommended around here? I am not in a position to be able to work on the car myself and would need to bring it to a shop for literally everything. I am currently waiting for the seller to get back to me about a time to set up a inspection. I'm hoping everything comes out good when it happens tho.

Last edited by Kevin Trifaro; Apr 26, 2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin Trifaro
Hello everyone, I'm new to the area and hopefully will be getting my hands on an evo ix fairly soon. I am located in Morrisville, east of raleigh, South of durham and was wondering what shops are recommended around here? I am not in a position to be able to work on the car myself and would need to bring it to a shop for literally everything. I am currently waiting for the seller to get back to me about a time to set up a inspection. I'm hoping everything comes out good when it happens tho.
Welcome & Force-Fed Performance out of Fayetteville.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin Trifaro
Hello everyone, I'm new to the area and hopefully will be getting my hands on an evo ix fairly soon. I am located in Morrisville, west of raleigh, South of durham and was wondering what shops are recommended around here? I am not in a position to be able to work on the car myself and would need to bring it to a shop for literally everything. I am currently waiting for the seller to get back to me about a time to set up a inspection. I'm hoping everything comes out good when it happens tho.
Welcome! There are several good shops around here. Force Fed in Fayetteville is where I've gone over the years. There's also shops further away in Charlotte (Motion Lab) and Hickory (Dyno Time). Force Fed is nearby and can take care of you though.

Also a lot of knowledgeable folks on here who can help out with questions.
Old May 1, 2017, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Welcome! There are several good shops around here. Force Fed in Fayetteville is where I've gone over the years. There's also shops further away in Charlotte (Motion Lab) and Hickory (Dyno Time). Force Fed is nearby and can take care of you though.

Also a lot of knowledgeable folks on here who can help out with questions.
Dan, did you really just mention Motion Lab??
Old May 1, 2017, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

I haven't been there, but several other local guys have been there and didn't have anything negative to say. He asked for options, so I gave him options! lol

I also tried to tell him he could just ask the encyclopedia of BJ

What's up w/ your car these days?
Old May 1, 2017, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
I'm not sure if I have ever heard a single good thing about Motion Lab
Old May 2, 2017, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

Several local X guys were tuned by them with no problems for years. I have no personal experience with them though.
Old May 3, 2017, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Didn't Kasey used to work/tune for them?
Old May 3, 2017, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

I haven't been there, but several other local guys have been there and didn't have anything negative to say. He asked for options, so I gave him options! lol

I also tried to tell him he could just ask the encyclopedia of BJ

What's up w/ your car these days?

What's up with my car? Good question! Adulting may result in letting go of the evo....
Old May 4, 2017, 05:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 06MREvo
What's up with my car? Good question! Adulting may result in letting go of the evo....
Osteoarthritis in my left knee is going to result in me letting go of mine. Just can't handle sitting in traffic with a 5-speed anymore. Three intra-articular steroid injections now, and it's just getting worse. I never wanted to get rid of this car...

Any suggestions for an automatic replacement? I was thinking about a Golf R...
Old May 4, 2017, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 'Lectric_Blu_IX
Osteoarthritis in my left knee is going to result in me letting go of mine. Just can't handle sitting in traffic with a 5-speed anymore. Three intra-articular steroid injections now, and it's just getting worse. I never wanted to get rid of this car...

No bueno. Mine has been a project for way too long. I've somewhat lost motivation & don't have the time nor want to spend anymore money putting it back together. We could definitely use the money to get some stuff done at the new house.

I think Dan still has his Golf R so I'm sure he could give you some feedback.
Old May 4, 2017, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. I have been out in the raleigh/durham area, but I've only met 1 evo 8/9 owner. Wheres everyone else hiding? Waiting for better weather?
Old May 6, 2017, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 'Lectric_Blu_IX

I've had the MK6 R and the MK7 R. As a daily driver, the MK7 R is a fantastic car. The interior is really nice and that DSG trans is a really good transmission. As a weekend only toy I think there are "funner" options. The only "negative" on that car for me was that the Haldex AWD system isn't a true AWD system in the same way as the Subies/Evos. It's a front biased system that will send power to the back as the CPU senses it's needed. The result is that the car will tend to push (understeer) like a FWD car when pushed hard. That being said, with a good suspension setup it's still a properly quick car. Those cars respond really well to mods too. Sub 4 sec 0-60 with a tune.
The following users liked this post:
'Lectric_Blu_IX (May 7, 2017)
Old May 7, 2017, 06:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had the MK6 R and the MK7 R. As a daily driver, the MK7 R is a fantastic car. The interior is really nice and that DSG trans is a really good transmission. As a weekend only toy I think there are "funner" options. The only "negative" on that car for me was that the Haldex AWD system isn't a true AWD system in the same way as the Subies/Evos. It's a front biased system that will send power to the back as the CPU senses it's needed. The result is that the car will tend to push (understeer) like a FWD car when pushed hard. That being said, with a good suspension setup it's still a properly quick car. Those cars respond really well to mods too. Sub 4 sec 0-60 with a tune.
This is exactly what I wanted to hear! I've been looking into the MK7 as well and, overall, it really seems the best option (with the DSG) at this point. My Evo has been my DD for the past 10 years, and I'll need a DD going forward as well. I hate that they killed the R400 concept, but it sounds like the base R could hit that performance threshold with some mods and a tune. How fickle is VW with their warranty?

Ideally, I'd like to get a Nissan GT-R, but that's just not in the budget. Unfortunately, none of the other affordable "fun" cars (Focus RS, Civic Type R, WRX STi, etc.) have a paddle-shift option. I could get a used X MR I suppose, but I just have a hard time trusting pre-owned Evos...

It saddens me to know that, no matter which car I get, it won't have the same "magic" that the Evo has. I wish Mitsu would consider resurrecting the Evo now that the compact/AWD/Turbo market space has exploded...they got out at EXACTLY the wrong time!

Thanks for the insight, Dan!!!

Last edited by 'Lectric_Blu_IX; May 7, 2017 at 06:29 AM. Reason: I suck at typing and spelling...

Quick Reply: Raleigh/Durham/Triangle Area Meet