Notices

Replacement Windshield $1500!?!

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2010, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Replacement Windshield $1500!?!

After being hit by a stone being flicked up by the truck in front of me the other day, I now have a 12" crack in my windshield.

No big deal I thought, couple of hundred bucks max should get it replaced. Figured I'd just pay cash so it didn't affect my insurance premium next time around.

After 30 minutes messing around getting part numbers, etc the auto glass company came back to me with the smack in the mouth price of $1500 installed due to the rain/light sensor unit being integrated into the windshield. Needless to say, I left without getting it done.

Has anyone else had their windshield with the sensor replaced? Is this ?

Thanks for any help guys
Old May 2, 2010, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

get behind a full dumptruck, take down the company name, the truck number, lic plate time and place you follwed him.

call the trucking company and tell them something flew out of the back of the truck and hit your car... lol they'll fix it

just make sure the truck is actually hauling something at the time lmao
Old May 2, 2010, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

I assume u have a Premium RA? I didn't know that the sensor was "integrated" into the windshield, I thought that it was the black piece that just stuck to the windshield not actually apart of the windshield. That sucks and hopefully u can find it cheaper elsewhere.
Old May 2, 2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by roblaza
get behind a full dumptruck, take down the company name, the truck number, lic plate time and place you follwed him.

call the trucking company and tell them something flew out of the back of the truck and hit your car... lol they'll fix it

just make sure the truck is actually hauling something at the time lmao
Man, I have so thought about doing this. Such an idiot for not getting the details of the actual truck that was responsible. He didn't have mudflaps installed. Isn't there a law saying they should?
Old May 2, 2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by brads09lancerGT
I assume u have a Premium RA? I didn't know that the sensor was "integrated" into the windshield, I thought that it was the black piece that just stuck to the windshield not actually apart of the windshield. That sucks and hopefully u can find it cheaper elsewhere.
Yeah its the Premium RA. I thought the same thing. I just assumed the sensor came off the same way the rear view mirror does and then gets stuck back onto the new windshield. Apparently not. Or at least thats what I was told. Hence the reason I thought I'd ask if anyone on here knew any better.
Old May 2, 2010, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by macgenius
Yeah its the Premium RA. I thought the same thing. I just assumed the sensor came off the same way the rear view mirror does and then gets stuck back onto the new windshield. Apparently not. Or at least thats what I was told. Hence the reason I thought I'd ask if anyone on here knew any better.
Start googling and searching the forums... I'm sure someone else has run into this problem and just doesn't check all the subforums...
Old May 2, 2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by EnixStorm
Start googling and searching the forums... I'm sure someone else has run into this problem and just doesn't check all the subforums...
Thats the first thing I do before posting for help. I spent a good few hours going through posts about 'windshields' and found nothing that confirms that the sensor is built onto the windshield. Hence the post. Thanks for replying though
Old May 2, 2010, 01:52 PM

recommend these guys..give him a call

here's some reviews

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3330565
Old May 2, 2010, 03:38 PM

My dad owns a auto glass company for the last 15 yrs. Needless to say hes good at what he does.

Anyway my dads company is called Sunny Auto Glass and he does mobile service so you can have the windshield replaced at your home or at work.
He uses the best materials in the industry for ex. the urethane(glue) is by far the best you can get same with the glass.
Also offers a lifetime guarantee on workmanship and 6 month guarantee on the glass (Not a single glass shop offers this)

His number is (647) 218 - 0241 Mike
When you call just remind him that you know Dave (Me) through the car club. I'll tell him if you call to give you a good CASH price tax-in so he's aware.
Old May 2, 2010, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by xCASHx
My dad owns a auto glass company for the last 15 yrs. Needless to say hes good at what he does.

Anyway my dads company is called Sunny Auto Glass and he does mobile service so you can have the windshield replaced at your home or at work.
He uses the best materials in the industry for ex. the urethane(glue) is by far the best you can get same with the glass.
Also offers a lifetime guarantee on workmanship and 6 month guarantee on the glass (Not a single glass shop offers this)

His number is (647) 218 - 0241 Mike
When you call just remind him that you know Dave (Me) through the car club. I'll tell him if you call to give you a good CASH price tax-in so he's aware.
Dude thats awesome. Thanks
Old May 3, 2010, 06:51 AM

i got a number for a guy. got mine done for $250
but I got a lancer SE
Old May 3, 2010, 09:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
statefarm covered my rock chip. did effect insureance because it was a comprehensive claim
Old May 3, 2010, 03:50 PM

Anytime I've had windshields replaced its been free... Glass co. Usually will cover deductible (like $300 worth) and insurance usually gives u 2 or 3 replacements per 12months before affecting premiums... Ask stitch, he's the resident insurance ***** lol
Old May 3, 2010, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

I should post pics of the condition of my windshield on my GTS. One side looks like somebodies head smacked the window and then at the bottom of the windshield its cracked from side to side.

f#ckin sucks
Old May 14, 2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by macgenius
After being hit by a stone being flicked up by the truck in front of me the other day, I now have a 12" crack in my windshield.

No big deal I thought, couple of hundred bucks max should get it replaced. Figured I'd just pay cash so it didn't affect my insurance premium next time around.

After 30 minutes messing around getting part numbers, etc the auto glass company came back to me with the smack in the mouth price of $1500 installed due to the rain/light sensor unit being integrated into the windshield. Needless to say, I left without getting it done.

Has anyone else had their windshield with the sensor replaced? Is this ?

Thanks for any help guys
rain/light sensor..sounds like possible bs..can anyone confirm that this is true? i would call a local dealership and ask how much it is to guage if its true or not..if its not take it somewhere else..i paid 260cdn for an evo x windshield

Quick Reply: Replacement Windshield $1500!?!