Notices

Audio help. Blown speaker?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2010, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio help. Blown speaker?

Driving home the today and noticed i had no sound coming from all of my speakers. All i could hear was a faint popping sound every 10 to 15 seconds coming from my front driver speaker. When i got home i had alook at my amp and it was switching from the power LED to protection LED. The amp wasnt getting hot and my Pioneer deck was still working fine.

About a month or so ago my drivers speaker started popping / distorting but would always come back after a few minutes. It seemed to go away untill this happened.

My question is, could it be that the speaker has finally blown and now the amp is been overloaded? Bad ground? Faulty wiring?

Anyone have a spare or OEM speaker lying around they willing to part out before i go the whole route and replace the speakers? Any suggestions on a good replacement set of speakers?

I have the sun and sound package with aftermarket deck and amp, if that helps.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 04:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speakers you can test pretty quick with a volt meter, detatch them and connect the leads and check the Oms . if its crazy, then the sub / speaker is toast. happend to me once in my mazda.

My speak was gone and it was cycling so much power it would cause the amp to shut right down.

Bring it to a pro and have them look it over. they generally know what to look for. but in this case I would suspect that your amp may be the problem
Old Aug 16, 2010, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Greedy_son
Driving home the today and noticed i had no sound coming from all of my speakers. All i could hear was a faint popping sound every 10 to 15 seconds coming from my front driver speaker. When i got home i had alook at my amp and it was switching from the power LED to protection LED. The amp wasnt getting hot and my Pioneer deck was still working fine.

About a month or so ago my drivers speaker started popping / distorting but would always come back after a few minutes. It seemed to go away untill this happened.

My question is, could it be that the speaker has finally blown and now the amp is been overloaded? Bad ground? Faulty wiring?

Anyone have a spare or OEM speaker lying around they willing to part out before i go the whole route and replace the speakers? Any suggestions on a good replacement set of speakers?

I have the sun and sound package with aftermarket deck and amp, if that helps.

Try warranty?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TheNEWB

Try warranty?
he's got an aftermarket head unit. so i doubt thats an option
Old Aug 16, 2010, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Back to stock!

But now that they know he has an aftermarket head unit, the Trolls wont honour his warranty as they most likely one of them saw this thread and now is looking for someone to come in with that issue.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

^ lol
Im just going to disconnect the amp for now untill i get it into a shop.
Not to worried about the warranty as i wouldnt replace the speakers with OEM anyway, im just looking for one just to test before i go out a replace all the speakers then realize they arent the problem.

Im quite suprised they held up for this long, with an aftermarket amp and headunit.