Notices

Rust Protection/Winter Preparation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2010, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rust Protection/Winter Preparation

Are you guys doing anything special to your cars to prepare them for winter driving?

Is anybody here rust-proofing their car? I rust-proofed my previous car and it had no rust on it even after it was 10 years old. But the thing is... I don't really see current cars rusting anyways... and it's not like everybody rust-proofs their cars.

The downside to getting the oil spray on the car is that it makes a huge mess. And it reached a point where even in July of the following summer I had oil seeping out of the seams of the car.

So I dunno... I don't really wanna get the car sprayed... but at the same time I don't want my car to rust since I plan on keeping it for a while. What are you guys doing for winter?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got mine rust proofed when I bought the car they included it in the deal and I recently also got a paint sealer done from fine details through a deal I had and its unreal and it lasts for about 6 months and helps against the salt in the winter so I'd definetly tell people to go out and get it as well if there looking to prepare for the winter......
Old Nov 1, 2010, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

getting Krown done this week. Non drill $50 have been doing it for years. Good stuff

By the way Krown doesnt make a mess a all. Its a sticky oil and hardens right away. It really is a great product.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

What do they do for $50? I was thinking about going to Krown but just getting them to spray the bottom of the car.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 08:36 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lancer905
I recently also got a paint sealer done from fine details through a deal I had and its unreal and it lasts for about 6 months and helps against the salt in the winter so I'd definetly tell people to go out and get it as well if there looking to prepare for the winter......
Stop by the detailing forum. There's a defined methodology for protecting the paint against the elements, and a several excellent products suitable for this application. Some cost as little as $10 and they're very easy to use. FWIW, salt spray can remove an LSP (last step product - ie. wax/sealant) in a matter of minutes, depending.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 09:54 AM

Is there a spray that you only need to do once and that's it? My friend got one but I forgot the name.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 08:15 AM

if anyone is interested in the rust protection module... i have some. same brand that the dealership is using but cheaper.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Zhawa
Is there a spray that you only need to do once and that's it? My friend got one but I forgot the name.
Pro-Tech Seal is one offered by the dealership. One time spray. All you need to do is annual 2 year service to check for any wear and tear and maintain warranty.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Greedy_son
Pro-Tech Seal is one offered by the dealership. One time spray. All you need to do is annual 2 year service to check for any wear and tear and maintain warranty.
Thanks.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

I rust proofed my car with Krown. I got it from a buddy for free who's a tech at downtown BMW. They usd the same product with all their bimmers. I mainly spray on the fuel and brake lines. I put M77 on exhaust bolts and Honda rust penetration on suspension components, tie-rods , alignment adjusting bolts. I do this with all my cars before and during winter. Completely mint i gotta say
Old Nov 4, 2010, 04:46 AM

My decision was between Krown and Corrosion Free and eventually went with Krown.

I got it sprayed at the Lakeshore location in September and the car dripped for a couple days before it stopped. I've spotted a few drips since, but only small amounts.

I also have one of those rust protection modules that the dealer threw in for free when I got my car. I've read about it working for some people but there's tonnes of other people saying they dont work because blah blah blah, but most of those comments were based on hearsay and not first-hand experience. Decided not to take the chance and got the car sprayed just to be safe.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 05:12 AM
Evolving Member

^ Cost to get it sprayed?
Old Nov 4, 2010, 05:52 AM

^ Cost to get it sprayed?
I think it was about $110-$115 after taxes for me.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by IN10S
if anyone is interested in the rust protection module... i have some. same brand that the dealership is using but cheaper.
Do those things actually work? I was thinking about it... but wasn't sure if it was a gimmick or not. I know they use "cathodic protection" on ships and pipes... but I heard they are operating at a much higher voltage.

One dealer tried to push one of these units on me for like $700!
Old Nov 4, 2010, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

What exactly does Pro-Tech seal do??? I supposedly have it done to my car... and I had to go for an inspection recently. But when I look underneath the car... I don't see anything. That's why I'm considering getting the bottom of the car sprayed.

So if I don't see anything under the car... and don't notice any holes anywhere like Krown.... where did they protect... and how did they do it?

Quick Reply: Rust Protection/Winter Preparation