Notices

AMC CNC Head - 140whp gain!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2008, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GTREVO
Hi Martin,

This is unbelievable and will be considering this head for our race car but not to go off topic here, can it be done for a DSM style motor also running the 4202R setup?

THanks.

Since AMS is not offering a CNC head for the DSM, I don't mind telling you that John Shepherd is using (and selling) the Fox Lake CNC cylinder head for the DSM. You can reach him at: sales@sheptrans.com
Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being that the 2g head has the same port profile as an Evo head minus the injector recess, I couldn't see it being too hard to run that program on a small port 2g head.

Personally I believe a 2g head with the same port and chamber treatment as this head would outperform any big port 1g head.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SeanC
TORQUE = HP x 5252 ÷ RPM

Do the math.
maybe he would be able to figure it out IF the RPM was on the dyno sheet...
Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 9sec9
Martin, nice job and I'll understand if you don't want to completely answer everything, but did you change the valve sizes between the two heads? As far as 'setup' the valves, what seat pressure and max lift pressure did you end up with? I'm assuming that the cams were the same and degreed the same, but gotta ask that too. Again, I can appreciate the work it takes to get these tests completed. I just went through a lot of it my self and I agree, it's not cheap, but if done properly, yields results. Thanks in advance.
No problem. We use the same valve size as the cosworth head but use different types of valves.
I'm going off some notes here so this might not be 100% accurate, I'll confirm this next week.
Seat Pressure is about 100 lbs
10mm lift is about 225 lbs
11mm lift is a little over 240 lbs
Max recommended lift is .590"
To add to this we spin the motor to about 9500-10000 RPM on the dyno for testing and take it up to 10,500 on the strip. I just checked the logs and even during our head testing we did have a slight incident that took the motor up to 13,500 RPM before we ran the 8.42 pass, maybe that's why the rocker arm failed!

Yes the same cams were used and timing was not moved from one head to the next. It was an A to B comparison of the heads with nothing else changing besides A/F ratio tuning.
There are so many small details in a head that really affect power but most people only know the term 'ported and polished' which is so generic but everyone relates to it so that's why we all use it Some of the small but very important details include ; valve job, valve shape, chamber work (especially around the valves), where the valve seals on the seat (no sense in a 1mm over valve if it valve job is wrong and sits deeper), ect.
Then we polish the shi* out of it yo and put a 4" LCD screen between the ports....

Part development really does take a long time and it's great when it works because you learn something in the process and get good results. Of course if it doesn't work or makes something worse, it really sucks but hopefully you learn something too. I've been down both roads.

Last edited by Martin@AMS; Oct 24, 2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EricJ@AMS
Being that the 2g head has the same port profile as an Evo head minus the injector recess, I couldn't see it being too hard to run that program on a small port 2g head.

Personally I believe a 2g head with the same port and chamber treatment as this head would outperform any big port 1g head.
Only problem is core shift Eric. I'm assuming the problem is worse on the earlier DSM stuff, just like we found on the blocks. So we'd have to very careful and experiment.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:51 AM
Former Sponsor

First Post Edited with added RPM and MPH data.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks Martin. I feel for the 'core shift' issues on new heads. I understand this very well. I appreciate you taking the time to post up the spring pressures and also agree on the 'detail' areas when it comes to valve jobs, seats and valve shapes and porting. Thanks again for sharing the information.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
Since AMS is not offering a CNC head for the DSM, I don't mind telling you that John Shepherd is using (and selling) the Fox Lake CNC cylinder head for the DSM. You can reach him at: sales@sheptrans.com
THanks mate...I will contact him and thanks Martin for the response earlier but in any case I still have my street driven evo 9 which I can work on .

Is this on a core exchange basis or do I have to send you the head in my car to get this done?
Old Nov 2, 2008, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

pm'd...
Old Nov 2, 2008, 01:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Amazing!!
Old Nov 2, 2008, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very impressive! I have been waiting to see these results for awhile now
Old Nov 2, 2008, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Based on the 850R testing and this test, it looks like the new head really comes to life above 6500 RPM without really losing power to the stocker at lower engine speeds.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

PM'd you Martin but got no response...but no biggie I will just ask this again

So this new head, is this a whole new head like Cosworth or can you take a stock head and do this CNC'ing that you have done with this head?

Any idea on cost? Time frame of the release date for the head?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 04:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Hey Joshs Evo,

You can take a stock head and do the CNC'ing to it. Well sell the heads for:

Evo 8 with a core for 2595.00
Evo 8 without a core for 3995.00
Evo 9 with a core for 2695.00
Evo 9 without a core for 4095.00

We have Evo 9 CNC heads in stock and we are waiting on some more Evo 8 heads that should be here late next week.

If we dont have the heads in stock, turn around time is usually around 2 to 3 weeks. Please let me know if you need further information.

Thanks
Old Nov 3, 2008, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

martin or andrew, have either of you received a PM from me?

Quick Reply: AMC CNC Head - 140whp gain!